[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Looking for some legal advice on renting. I have to move ou

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: cheap-apartments-for-rent-.jpg (107KB, 425x282px) Image search: [Google]
cheap-apartments-for-rent-.jpg
107KB, 425x282px
Looking for some legal advice on renting.

I have to move out of my dad's house on short notice (he's selling it and moving away) forcing me me to scramble to find a place. I ended up finding a place a couple weeks ago that said they have an apartment being remodeled and that if I give them a $500 money order they would hold the place for me, and it the money would become my deposit when I move in. Due to not having any experience renting, I dropped of the money order without asking too many questions. Now they're telling me they want me to sign a 1 year lease when a specified I wanted to rent month to month in the application because I don't plan on sticking around this area much longer.

I live in Washington state, and based on my reseach (http://www.tenantsunion.org/en/rights/deposit-questions) they can't keep my $500 if I back out because they didn't give me a receipt or any written terms and conditions when I dropped off the money. I am I correct? I really don't want to get screwed.
>>
>>18249444
Yeah, it's yours.
>>
>>18249444
"1 year lease".
Nah, they can't do that to you, they have to let you rent month to month.
>>
Worse comes to worse you stay a few months and then sublet. But it sounds like you should be able to get the money back. Make sure you have another place lined up, especially if you're short on time.
>>
>>18249841
Most places I've ever lived in have a year to year lease (or 6 months near college town). Maybe it's different in Washington, but it's pretty common here.
>>
>>18249841
>they have to let you rent month to month.
They can do whatever the fuck they want. Also see >>18249844

I've never had a lease shorter than 6 months. The reason places like you to rent for long periods of time is because it makes financial sense. If you're month to month and just leave one month they lose money every month they're looking for a replacement. There's also the cost of cleaning the apartment and getting it ready for the next tenant... I thought I'd explain this to you since you're obviously an idiot for thinking they have to lease month by month. Most monthly leases are done by private landlords renting out a room.
>>
>>18249844
Your experience is the wrong experience.
>>
>>18249835
>>18249842
Yeah, luckily I live in a state that seems to protect against this sort of situation.

My plan at this point is to go to the bank on Monday and cancel the money order in the hopes it hasn't already been cashed. Failing that, I will give the landlord a call and say 6 months is the longest I can lease. If they're not willing to compromise I will demand the $500 back.

However, if they refuse, how would I go about taking legal action?
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.