[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How does one forcefully stop intrusive thoughts and intentionally

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

File: 429157.jpg (42KB, 460x452px) Image search: [Google]
429157.jpg
42KB, 460x452px
How does one forcefully stop intrusive thoughts and intentionally repress memories? Therapy and prescription drugs are not an option. Anyone have any useful techniques/advice? The only thing that works for me temporarily is drinking, but that's expensive and it encourage poor decisions.
>>
>>18248310

you're dumb
>>
>>18248310

It takes like 30 seconds to feel and process a feeling

or you can spend your entire life trying to run from it

what is it? guilt? abandonment? shame?

The reason you have "intrusive" thoughts is because you're trying to repress things. Your brain wouldn't be forcing you to remember or confront something if it wasn't important.
>>
>>18248322
The issue is that I feel these things too strongly. I have no problem feeling and processing emotions, as I frequently scream in rage at the remembrance of a three year old slight or a year old indignation. I am not asking for healthy behavior, but for effective brain gimping. The only thing I can think of that would resolve these issues is murder or maiming, but seeing as that's illegal, it's out of the question.

I am not looking to be healthy, only superficially functional.
>>
File: 1477782945418.jpg (14KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1477782945418.jpg
14KB, 200x200px
>>18248310

>Asks for the solution to a problem

>Immediately claims the solution is not an option

Sounds like you're fucked.
>>
>>18248310

Everyone has intrusive thoughts. There's no way to just "make them stop". Try meditation. Learn to separate the intrusive thought from your emotional response.
>>
>>18248360
>these things require money and will permanently put a negative mark on your record if you ever choose to be truthful about your medical history
>psychiatry is a pseudo-science that either pushes pills that have as much a chance of solving your problem as worsening it or promotes feel good, wishywashy forms of delusion

yeah nah. If I'm going to have mental illness then it will be on my terms and serve a purpose, meaning I want these fucking memories gone.
>>
File: 1480575847190s.jpg (8KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1480575847190s.jpg
8KB, 200x200px
>>18248388

>these things require money and will permanently put a negative mark on your record if you ever choose to be truthful about your medical history

Firstly, there is no "permanent record". This isn't middle school. Secondly, medical treatment is protected under confidentiality. Thirdly, this isn't the 1930's, kid. Needing help with your mental is not interpreted as a sign of weakness like it was 100 years ago.

Unless you plan on joining the FBI then no one gives a shit about the fact that you went to therapy, nor will they ask.

>psychiatry is a pseudo-science that either pushes pills that have as much a chance of solving your problem as worsening it or promotes feel good, wishywashy forms of delusion

This is just uninformed horseshit. I've been in the mental health field for a decade and you just have no idea what you're talking about. Everything you've just said is a meme propagated by angry internet kids who make up boogeyman bullshit to justify their unwillingness to be vulnerable.

They demonize therapy because if they ever admit that it had any merit they'd actually have to take responsibility for their recovery. Lets also not forget the fact that, in your words, you are mentally ill.

In my professional experience I haven't found that mentally ill people have the most rational thoughts about the reality of mental health professionals. Usually they think the way you do; that we're trying to hurt them or poison them or that we just want them to take pills because we're undercover FBI agents or spies.

>If I'm going to have mental illness then it will be on my terms

Funny thing about mental illness is that it doesn't give a shit about your terms. So long as you're unwilling to humble yourself and admit you need help these problems will continue to haunt you. You're top-tier delusional right now and I understand your unwillingness to face the truth but sooner or later you're going to have to.

There is no home remedy for mental illness.
>>
>>18248432
Firstly, I'm a former qualified nuclear power plant operator with a security clearance. For people with actual responsibility, this shit does matter. Pills and psychiatric treatment negates your clearance and eligibility for jobs, assuming I ever wanted to go back, so this problem has to be dealt with by other means.

Secondly, find me a good peer reviewed paper that shows me your snake oil bullshit works more often than placebos and I'll consider your proposals. Psychiatry/psychology is a pseudoscience with schools of thought instead of proven procedures, and until I see good evidence that shows me your pill of the month is more effective than a sugar capsule I won't be paying you or your compatriots any of my money. Peddle your stories elsewhere.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.