[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have a question concerning how you guys would react to something.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 7

I have a question concerning how you guys would react to something.

I have amblyopia, commonly known as a form of lazy eye. It's not super bad, and a lot of people don't notice. However, I end up closing one eye to read, type and watch TV. It's also hard for me to keep both eyes open when I'm focusing on an object with a lot of light behind it, etc. I started to lose color vibrancy in my left eye because I don't use it as much. If it gets worse, some people lose their vision until they're legally blind in an eye.

I had corrective surgery in my infancy but it was not successful because they over corrected. I was prescribed an eye patch when I was a child to train my weak eye, but I always thought it made me look like a loser. Now that I'm starting to lose some color, I think it's more important to wear one than it is to be "cool."

The question of if I'm going to get one is a definite yes, but I just wanted your opinions.

>How do you react to people with eye patches?
>Would you think less of someone who wore one if you found out they didn't "have" to wear one?
>Would you find my reasons to be sufficient enough to not be percieved as a "larper?"

I tried going to /fa/ for advice on which one to get, but most of them were being /fa/ggots who told me I should essentially not wear one and to let my vision fail. I've told my girlfriend and she thinks it's a good idea for me to wear one.

I'll answer any question. Thank you for reading.
>>
File: biggu_bossu.png (488KB, 800x1020px) Image search: [Google]
biggu_bossu.png
488KB, 800x1020px
I might do a double take as you do anyone that falls out of the norm in appearance. It just catches your eye and you can't help but glance, it is human nature.

However I and the vast majority of people who exist outside of /fa/ggots know you wear a patch with purpose. It isn't like pink hair, which is obviously there as a fashion statement. Nor is it like a wig, which is for cosmetic reasons. This is a medical accessory.

It is like someone in a wheelchair. People might give a second glance or stare a tad too long, but they aren't judging you and don't think of you as a poser.

A little kid may ask, but only out of curiosity and silly association with pirates. Just explain in simple terms you need to make the covered eye stronger by letting it rest.
>>
File: IMG_20170301_212810.jpg (172KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170301_212810.jpg
172KB, 960x1280px
Here's a relatively new picture of myself.
>>
honestly it depends on if you're hot or not. if you're hot, its just gonna look cool.

the explanation is gonna be stupid unfortunately, like people want to hear that your other eye got devoured by a lion or some shit. anytime someone asked my ex boyfriend about a huge scar he had hed just say 'saved a bunch of kids from drowning when their orphanage boat caught fire and began to sink'.

never did get the real answer. so you could always do that.

t
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-04-21-15-39-28.png (473KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-04-21-15-39-28.png
473KB, 1280x720px
Option 1/2

>>18245124

Holy shit, you're the first person on here and are more useful than the ~30 people who replied on /fa/, including a girl with a non-functioning eye who told me to get ocular prosthetics.
>>
>>18245126

highly filtered pics dont really do anything. but that being said you in an eyepatch wouldnt look bad.

but thats cuz you already look good and not in the too cute way.
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-04-21-15-39-23.png (363KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-04-21-15-39-23.png
363KB, 1280x720px
Option 2/2

>>18245128

I will likely do this to complete strangers if children. I don't want people I see regularly to think I'm doing it for fun.
>>
>>18245135

well i mean anyone close to you already knows about your issues and can fill in the blanks, and anyone you tell this to isn't going to assume you're a poser, they'd just assume that you have a REAL reason but dont want to talk abotu it.

regardless do what you want. id be coy about it when it comes to girls until you are sure they are into you.

like a girl can come up and be like 'wow sexy scars, howd you get them'.

and if you say 'acne' suddenly the scars arent so sexy. eye patch isn't quite the same but kinda. it becomes kinda dorky as opposed to badass.

you just need the illusion of badass, and by telling an obvious joke, you skirt the question, make it clear you dont want to talk about it, but you still have this element of mystery, which is still cool
>>
>>18245133
If you are completely blind in one eye I can understand her line of thinking. But your condition can be salvaged? As in you can stop any more degeneration of vision in that eye if you regularly use a patch?
>>18245128
>>18245139
I agree with this. Be vague or embellish in a joking manner to hint that you don't want to go onto details, and people won't pry.
>>18245126
Yeah you'll be able to pull it off fine, especially since you have hair to hide the strap. I wouldn't worry as much anymore.
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-04-21-15-50-21.png (930KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-04-21-15-50-21.png
930KB, 720x1280px
>>18245134

My phone has a terrible camera. Few pictures come out good enough that they don't need a filter because the pictures are too dark 90% of the time.

>>18245139

I already am in a committed relationship. Girls still hit on me and I ignore them anyway. I'll likely take the eye patch off when I'm with my friends of my girlfriend, similarly to how I wouldn't wear it while driving.
>>
>>18245116
I think they're sexy
>>
>>18245151

you will do just fine then, even if single i think you'd manage. you're not super hot by any means but you're not ugly either, and you look just masculine enough that the eye patch wouldn't hinder your look. wont really help it. it'll just be a thing
>>
Dude it's just as weird as you make it be. I'd probably stare for a second and wonder why is that, and move on with my life, but not looking down on you. You have to realize people are naturally curious, but actual adults won't be asses about it.

I say get the bad-ass-est one you can, maybe 3d print some sci fi cap, make it fun and a conversation starter, and have a ton of bullshit excuses for it like

>I lost it in the war (don't specify one)
>I have x-ray vision in that eye and don't want to see you naked
>It's my daily life nick fury cosplay (funnier if you look nothing like him)
>It's an implant to watch my cat with my webcam

And so on. Have fun trolling the shit out of people with it.
>>
>>18245159

this guy needs an eyepatch.
>>
>>18245159

you could also get free drinks this way too. go into a bar and if someone asks how you got the eye patch say 'buy me a beer and ill tell you the story'

then just tell a really ridiculous but manly story about how you were in vietnam or some shit. dont care about continuity. tell a story about how when you were 15 your girlfriend got kidnapped and you found the kidnappers etc.

have fun with it man
>>
>>18245116
Don't fucking buy one. I have amblyopia as well on my right eye. I somehow managed to fool the doctors who where examining me the second time and didn't get to wear the stupid patch when I was little.

In short: We're both fucked. There's pretty much no effective cure for this shit. I inherited this from my mother, and she doesn't have any significant problem with her vision and shes in her mid-forties.

TL;DR: Stop giving a fuck. As long as both of your eyes look in the same direction, no need to buy such shit.
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-04-21-15-49-25.png (912KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-04-21-15-49-25.png
912KB, 720x1280px
Here's a side shot. Suggestions for which option to get will be greatly appreciated. I don't have the money to throw around to buy more than one good one because I'm working myself through college.

>>18245149
My brain prefers one eye over the other. This causes the use of only one eye for many tasks as the "dominant" eye is high priority while the "slave" eye is deemed less important. I cannot see 3D and I've been told I have no depth perception. I don't even know how to tell if I do, but I cannot play sports at all because I can't accurately tell where the balls are because I lack parallax. My binocular vision is essentially shot. I have had my eye closed the entire time I've been reading and responding because my senses get thrown off if I don't.

Over time, the slave eye gets on such a low priority that its vision degrades. Some people become blind from it. Not all cases of lazy eye are like this, though. By patching the good eye I can "train" the weal one to get better and improve. It kay possibly even reverse damage. 25% of people who patch have vision acuity after therapy because they had never seen so well before. I regret not sucking it up and doing it in middle school, but school kids are brutal and I can't blame myself too much.

>>18245184

It may not have affected her much, but I've noticed a decline in my vision in my bad eye since I started high school. I'm not going to just hope that things improve, I'm going to at least try to fix it and hope things work.
>>
>>18245164
Lol

I work with 3d printer and looked into those printed protesis for kids with themes and such. They look so cool and better than the traditional alternatives that I kinda wish I lost an arm to wear one

I mean, you're fucked either way, might as well have some fun with it right?

>>18245169
My father has pierced his ear drum once and went around betting that he could let smoke out of his ear with a cigarette. He said he made good money in bars until it healed lol
>>
>>18245192
Can you get it partially covered by health insurance?

When my mother had cancer she got insurance to half cover her wig as a "cranial prosthetic."
>>18245256
My brother-in-law by marriage too a similar attitude. Idiot was trying to solder something without proper protection and hurt one of his eyes. His first reaction when told the eye couldn't be saved was
>sweet, that means I can get a glass eye right?
>>
>>18245380
They're not that expensive by any means. I can't afford insurance even with help from my parents, anyway. These ones run $30 and it's just that I have to be tight on what I spend. I would prefer to get one that's better, but I'll be perfectly fine.

>>18245256

I saw a SonicEye eye patch from Metal Gear on Etsy that I thought was neat. There's no way it would be comfortable.
>>
I have diplopia and wear an eyepatch because I get migraines from double vision. This has only been for the past month because of an injury to the head. So far only one asshole outside a liquor store was like "sup pirate" but he I think he was just being ignorant, not mean. I go to university and I'm pretty self conscious about it but so far shirts pretty normal and my friends haven't changed the way they act toward me. My partner is also still attracted to me.

Personally I think the less you care what others think of you the less you'll suffer in general. My professors know I was injured too and those are the only people who's opinions of me really matter.
>>
I don't think your life is going to be that negatively affected by wearing an eyepatch. It's out of the norm, so people might stare a little longer or ask you about it, but life will go on. It's not going to lose you friends or anything. Health is very important, too. You'll regret it if you lose your vision in that eye if it was preventable.

As for what kind, eye know nothing of iPatches, but do they make any with invisible bands? Like, some thin, but durable elasticy string in lieu of that thick band? Because then just your eye could be covered without some strap going around your forehead. More minimalist, sleek, won't interfere with the rest of your look too much.
>>
I have to wear one from a really bad wreck three years ago that fucked up half my face and my eye cuz some dick head couldn't drive his truck at night with his fuckin headlights on and hit me. People are gunna stare. There's gunna be a lot of assholes with no fuckin common courtesy. Kids, too. If it helps your vision though, I'd wear it. Fuck them rude ass people. You can say something to them, ignore em, make up some tragic sob story, whatever. Just don't be like me and let it get to you and keep you from going places.
>>
>>18245657
>>18246566

Thank you both for feedback. One of the reasons I feel somewhat nervous is if I run into someone who was seriously injured and they'll get upset if they found out I could take mine off.

I report any assholes without lights to the cops immediately.

>>18246520
I'll aim for a thin band, but I don't think a clear band would be comfortable due to the materials or it wouldn't be elastic enough. Cool concept, though.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.