[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you owe your parents for everything they ever bought or did

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

File: 1485624883432.png (30KB, 633x758px) Image search: [Google]
1485624883432.png
30KB, 633x758px
Do you owe your parents for everything they ever bought or did for you, if you don't turn out to be the adult they thought you'd be?
>>
Good question. Have a bump.
>>
Try /r9k/
>>
Nah dude. It's your life. Not some contract with rules you have to follow.
>>
Your parents owe you if anything, they brought you into the world without your signature or consent. Of course parents are ego-centric people and will never see it that way. Why else would they want to become parents...
>>
>>18244916
>>18244941
Ah. I was asking because my mother keeps saying that I owe her EVERYTHING because she sent me to a private school, and I was a NEET that fucked up a few semesters in university for 2 years.

I'm older now and have a career going, but it was just something that crossed my mind. I had ex-convict and druggie friends whose parents didn't act that way towards them.
>>
>>18244957
Yeah, as long as you are not living with your parents, or they aren't paying for your student loans etc., then you don't owe them shit. In a way, it's your mother's fault that she didn't raise you to be her ideal child.

I'm curious though, where did they expect you to be at this point in your life?
>>
>>18244899

owe them what? the money they spent on you? no they are legally obligated to take care of you and legally you don't owe them anything back even if they spent extra money on stuff that wasn't necessary. they chose to. you were a minor you could not legally agree to do something in return and if they tried to sue you they'd get nothing.

even on a morality level this is a stupid argument
>>
>>18245090
Having gone to an ivy league school and making 6 figures
>>
>>18244957
I disagree with your crazy mom. Also its not common to fuck up a few semesters. You can still bounce back if thats what you really want in life.
>>
Ideally, yes. You owe them your life honestly, and if they were good parents who loved you and raised you into a functioning adult, you should repay them by taking care of them in their old age.

That's the way it should be at least. That's the way it was/is in a lot of cultures.
>>
You don't owe your parents shit, and any parents that expect something from you like that are bad parents.

Morally you should probably be there for them in terms of taking them to the hospital and shit, but it's not your responsibility to be their financial insurance policy. If they wanted an insurance policy, they shouldn't have had you and should have made payments.
>>
>>18245334
Not OP but explain how my parents owe me a life I didn't sign up for. Taking care of them would be the kind thing to do but who says I owe them? Especially if they didn't raise me into a functioning adult but rather traumatized me to the point where I functioning is a struggle...

Just because something is cultural doesn't make it right. Hundreds of examples of this exist.

Who are you to decide how things "should" be based off that?
>>
>>18245360

Seriously. My buddy's parents clearly just fucking gave up and decided to be pieces of shit when their son was old enough to start contributing 50% of his income to them, so he works like 80 hours a week "because his parents need it." So because they're lazy shits, he lives in near poverty because he's working to support two completely capable adults, and they're totally fine watching him waste away his life so they don't have to do anything.

I despise them.
>>
>>18245360
You owe them your life because they gave your your life. I can understand your viewpoint if you hate your life and wish you never existed. You even say your parents were horrible and traumatized you, which I specifiied against in the original post.

But for most people who are happy, and like their life, and love their parents, they should be grateful and repay their parents for all of that. And then become parents themselves and raise the next generation of good, functioning adults. That's the best system for a successful society.
>>
>>18245317
Unless your family is rich or well-connected, that's some crazy unrealistic expectations.
>>
>>18245372
Parents are the true parasites lol. I can't think of one reason you'd have kids that isn't more essentially to serve yourself.

Personally I want to adopt a kid and raise them best I can but that kid doesn't owe me shit and I don't even want them to support me. I want them to have a chance at their own life.
>>
>>18245379
>implying anyone owes society

Also I forgave my parents and want to take care of them. But I still don't see how even if they didn't fuck up that I would somehow be in debt to them. because like I said, I never signed up for this. None of us did. Parents should be grateful if their kids take care of them, not entitled.
>>
>>18245443
I didn't say parents should be entitled. I didn't say anyone should be. I'm saying everyone should be grateful and take responsibility.

Also, even though you couldn't "consent" to your conception, you can always take your own life at any time whenever you want. There's no way anyone will ever be able to consent to their own creation, and I don't understand how anyone who thinks this is bad expects anything to every get done. It's unrealistic and absurd in a way.

If you aren't looking to better yourself, your family, and your society, and so on and so forth, I'm not sure why you even care in the first place. And you honestly do owe society for your life within it.
>>
>>18245481
>even though you couldn't "consent" to your conception, you can always take your own life at any time whenever you want
For the "you owe your parents everything" camp, that's defaulting, not repayment in full. The fact of the matter is that raising a child should be a gift for the child but often ends up being an ego trip for the parent instead. In neither case does the child owe the parent anything.

Gifts given in expectation of gifts in kind aren't gifts, they're loans. In fact, paying off one's cost of being raised is the biggest "fuck you" I can imagine, because it turns bonds of love and respect and familial duty into a monetary transaction. It's what you do when you're in the process of disowning your family entirely.

tl;dr: anything your children do to help you, with value between zero and a million billion dollars, is plenty. Your children are human beings, not a retirement account.
>>
>>18244899
Generally parents do everything for their kid out of their own good will. They love you, they wanted you to have the best life they could provide for you. Sometimes it doesn't always work out though.
They probably do not expect anything out of you other than to be independent. I don't think any parent (or anyone for that matter) wants another human being sponging off their assets forever. If you can hold yourself up financially, then you're golden. That's all you owe them, you owe them the ability to retire and enjoy THEIR lives without having to fund yours too.
>>
>>18244899
Holy shit! I just posted something similar the other night.

Here's my issue;
>I'm getting close to 30 years old
>Been living on my own for a decade now
>Have my own car, my own place, a decent job, and a girlfriend
>I only see my parents once every few months, if that.
>All they ever do is bitch and complain about me, as if I somehow haven't done enough in their eyes
>Every time they do, I just push them farther away.

It was so strange. My whole life I thought things worked one way, and then I got out of their house and started experiencing life for myself, and it was astonshing how wrong they were about so many things.
>>
>>18245701
How, in my case, am I supposed to do that for my father if I'm out of a job and never had a set career path my entire life? Going back to school, getting training or a license, everything would have to be through him now for the time he didn't put in my youth.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.