[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This might be long, but I really need help. In Fall of 2016,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

This might be long, but I really need help.

In Fall of 2016, because of my major, I was required to take a class taught by a professor named Jim (it's his real name, but I'll keep his full name and school secret). He teaches "Intro to Production Basics" in this film program - my field. The first day of class, he presented himself as an industry-experienced, deservedly ego-driven professional and that he would be super strict in this course. Whatever - it's college. I didn't know how awful he would be though.

The first phase of the class, obviously, is Pre-Production. If we wanted to write a script for the class, we were told to write a treatment for a script we wanted to write. "Okay," I thought, "I've done this before." I've had shorts bought by film companies and even have about four years of industry experience, believe it or not. "Piece of cake."

Because, he says, "the industry has strict deadlines, you have a two hour window to turn your treatment in." He also then says that we must send the email to his alter ego, who is based on a comic book character. At this point, I'm confused, but roll with it. He informs us that not only will we be addressing his alter ego, but we'll be addressing the alter ego's assistant. Expecting it to just be some kind of weird role playing exercise, I send my treatment to the fictional assistant to the fictional producer who is also a member of the Xmen.

Within 30 minutes, he sends this:
"Hello Mr. [Anon],
I'm sorry - we don't accept submissions that read like shit. Fuck you for wasting my time.

However, because I am merciful, you can resubmit until 1700h today."

Well, turns out, that day, I was at my actual production job - a below-the-line position for a Netflix show - until 5PM so I wouldn't have time to redo the assignment so I just figured I would pass on it. It was optional after all.

An hour after that, I get another email. This one is... well, it's startling.

Continued.
>>
The email included this:

"[Anon], (This is Jim addressing you now)

What, you're just going to be a little bitch and give up because someone hurt your feelings? Let me clue you in on something - you'll never make it in this industry if you're going to act like a child.

Don't bother responding to me - your script is rejected. I don't have time for idiots like you."

Keep in mind I did not even reply to the rejection email - I was working. I was so flabbergasted by this email from a professor at a major state university, that I was just at a loss for words. I responded the only way I knew how.

"Professor [Jim],

I'm sorry, but I was at my production job at [address]. Please contact [director] at [number] for details.

-Anon."

He write back a third time and gives a LONG winded email about how unprofessional it was to not respond to a Hollywood producer (this is his fictional Xmen character he's talking about) and used some terrible, derogatory comments.

I don't go to class the next day - my advisor called me and said it wouldn't be such a good idea. I hear from my classmates, though, that he went on a 15 minute tangent about me, personally, and told my classmates to avoid working with me. Not only that, a couple days later, at my other production job, my producer pulls me aside and says "Matt? Who is [Jim]?"

Turns out Jim found my LinkedIn or Resume or something and contacted my producer and told him that I was an incompetent worker and that I should be fired. This is less than a month into a 3000 level class.

I suffer from some pretty extreme depression and anxiety and when all this happened, I just fell apart. I ended up in the hospital and I dropped the class. I had a meeting with my department head at the university and he was very understanding and caring, and mentioned he gets complaints about Jim a lot. He made it where I didn't have to take the class until Fall of '17 and that they were getting a new professor for the class.

Nope.
(con)
>>
Between Fall of '16 and now, Jim had been telling the entire department about what a jackass I was and that I should be graded accordingly. I think because I talked to my department head about him, he set out with a vendetta against me. I was a broken man - I had taken up hurting myself, spent that time in the hospital, and was just... done.

This past month, my advisor informed me that the plans fell through with the new professor, and I'd have to take Jim in Fall of '17. I have to go back to his class.

I am utterly terrified of this.

I have a meeting scheduled with the department head tomorrow; I don't know what to say, but I'm vomiting and freaking out. He knows all the horrible things Jim has done to me (and to other students; I have receipts), but they do nothing. Like, the Department head has the emails. I don't know what to do or say.

I'm 100 credits in, need 120 to graduate. Without this class, I cannot. But I am honestly considering dropping the program. I can't deal with someone like that - I'm not emotionally equipped to do that.

Is there ANY advice out there at ALL that an anon can give me? This is very, very tough.
>>
Whoa lordy...
That's a character of a man.

I don't know man, sounds very shitty.
All i can tell is that my dad was in a similar situation when he studied national economics in university.
He questioned the teacher regarding the factuality of some things his professor was lecturing, professor got pissed and failed my dad (along with shittalking him in various ways)
This in turn pissed off/frustrated my dad so much that he dropped out of school.
I don't know how he could have managed the situation better as to not drop out, but know that he deeply regrets not sticking to it and find a way to solve it instead of letting it get to him and dropping oit.

This professor Xavier of yours sounds like a dude who has mental problems and i have no idea how you should work with this, but you CLEARLY seem to want to work with film and a competent/talented writer and should NOT let this individual stop you from doing what YOU WANT to do with your life.

How about (just as something to make this chapter in your life into something creative and give some perspective) write a story about all of this? Maybe it will help you manage it better by putting it into the context of a story, something you know how to do.

That's all for me, i gotta go to work.

Be strong, anon
Peace
>>
>>18243427
This is a very odd situation. It's not surprising to me that you've gotten a completely off the walls fucking bonkers college professor. If I were you the number one weapons I would use against this guy to the department heads is not that he hurt your feelings and he's emotionally abusive but in his teaching methods.
The guy seriously tells you to e-mail an X-Men Alter Ego? Like for real? Use that shit! Say that a professional major state university shouldn't be hiring someone who can do something this derogatory to his students, humiliate you in front of an entire class of students, and then continue to use completely odd and nonsensical teaching methods.
>>
>>18243427
see if you can send it out to some new-media people, like actually the emails. i guarantee that shit will go viral. hell, post them here with black bars for a start.

dox him, maybe? fire off some hollowpoints into his bedroom? (jk)
>>
File: 1489639128418.gif (2MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1489639128418.gif
2MB, 320x240px
>>18243393
>Because, he says, "the industry has strict deadlines, you have a two hour window to turn your treatment in." He also then says that we must send the email to his alter ego, who is based on a comic book character. At this point, I'm confused, but roll with it. He informs us that not only will we be addressing his alter ego, but we'll be addressing the alter ego's assistant. Expecting it to just be some kind of weird role playing exercise, I send my treatment to the fictional assistant to the fictional producer who is also a member of the Xmen.

This has to be some kind of /tv/ pasta.
>>
Post his info
I will fuck him to death
>>
>>18243536
okay that first line is so awesome! yes! go to twitter and shit and email now this mtv vox fuckin buzzfeed whoever and tell them hey there's this fucking professor who's doing this shit and they might just take your fucking story and turn it into one of those shitposts you see on facebook
>>
>>18243548
yeah, this guy has the right idea. I know! we could do a spitroast!
>>
Ignore this retarded troll thread
>>
>>18243520
Thanks man. I've been working on channeling my frustration into creative work. It helps but when I'm forced to deal with events face to face, it gets me panicky. Sorry yo hear that about your dad. Why do people think they can behave like that just because they teach college?
>>
>>18243530
It's true - I probably will bring up the weirder stuff in my meeting tomorrow. I don't want to get aggressive and nasty though - I'm not looking revenge. Just a way out or a way to survive this shit.
>>
>>18243543
Wish it was a /tv/ copypasta. I might tell them about this for shits and giggles.
>>
>>18243599
I dont know why you'd think I'd spend 20 minutes writing all that shit to troll /adv/ but I do need help.
>>
Not quite my tempo.

You could make this into a Whiplash sequel.
>>
>>18243784
At least JK Simmons' character was brilliant. This guy's shit is amateur hour.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.