[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Let's talk about death and grieving. My friend died, in

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: images (65).jpg (9KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
images (65).jpg
9KB, 225x225px
Let's talk about death and grieving.
My friend died, in old age, 2 weeks ago.
I was there with him for a lot of his dying time, though not at the last moment.
Sometimes I am absolutely overwhelmed with grief.
At first, I was pleasantly surprised & gratified by how our community came together to honor him & support each other in mourning. Now, I am feeling annoyed with some for pettiness between each other, but I realize that everyone has to grieve in their own fashion.
What are your experiences, /adv/?
>>
>>18240483
I lost my father and brother in a fire. Everyone grieves in their own way, anon. Seek out grievance counseling to help you through this if you're having a particularly hard time dealing with your friend's death.
>>
>>18240483
i hope it is not unrelated but:
do you agree that we, as a society tend to ignore death?
do you think it would be better for us to more openly talk about stuff like death, grief, suicide?
or do you think it is a pointless struggle, and makes everybody else's life a bit more blue?
>>
>>18240483
my gf died in a car accident about nine months ago. We hadn't been together very long but we were both friends and enfatuated with each other for a number of months before we came clean with feelings for one another.

It was pretty overwhelming at first, because she was so young and we were honeymooning hard. she was wildly popular and I'm posting on 4chan so you can understand the social dynamic of the funeral and aftermath; it was mainly a chance for them to remember her and grieve, and most had never met me or seemed to care much about meeting me (she was also extremely attractive and had a host of chad orbiters who were waiting for me to fuck up) so I grieved largely on my own.

I slept on the couch for two weeks because my bedsheets smelled like her and my pillowcase had her mascara on it. I still have the pillowcase wrapped up in my closet along with a notebook she gave me of drawings. I am actually doing okay, though, I've seen a grief counsiler and read a lot of books on life and death. The one that helped me the most was one called The Shortness of Life by an ancient Greek stoic philosopher named Seneca. I suggest you check it out, it's very good.

To speak to your experience, I noticed how petty and shallow people are in the aftermath of tragedy. I thought I saw crocodile tears everywhere, as if people used her passing as an excuse to boast about their own depth of feeling. So in some ways, yeah, grieving alone was better for me. But I still spoke with friends who cared about me, I know that helped.

sorry for your loss op
>>
One of my best friends, who was like a brother to me committed suicide. The day it happened was like any other day, and when the news came I just couldn't believe it. It's been half a year and I still can't believe it.

Talking to people that knew him now and then helps, and thinking of good memories. I don't think you can ever rid yourself completely of this pain, this pain tells you how much you really cared.
>>
My friend was not eating for his last 5 days... Apparently this is a common practice of older people during the dying process.
Because of this and other reasons, I had a very strong feeling that he was dying, though the hospital & others around were still focused on expecting him to get better.
That first day he stopped eating, I came home and sobbed huge heaving sobs for what seemed like forever because I knew he was asking me to help him through the dying experience.
The last time I saw him, I told him that if he was finished & ready yo wrap up his time here, we would support him through that, but if he wanted to keep fighting, we would support him through that, too.
He gave me a very clear look and said, "I hear you."

To the anon who was asking if I think we don't talk enough about death, yes.
I wish that I could "put on mourning" or something as I go around so people wouldn't ask me if I'm having a good day, or why my eyes are red, or whatever. It would also help with expectations, because sometimes I just can't be normal.
And also, I think we need to stop hiding death away from ourselves. We are all going to die eventually, it would be good for us to learn how (if it isn't a sudden thing)

To all the anons who experienced sudden accidental deaths of loved ones: I am so sorry. I have been with my partner as he has grieved for a suicide and a separate murder of 2 friends over that last 2 years. I know that it is very different & rather than a feeling that the person is at peace, one is left with a feeling of horror & anger & whatever else, on top of basic grief. I have no words to console you, but I sympathize.
>>
>>18240483
I am still grieving after several years. It's not a constant state, but certain things will trigger the state of mind. You just have to grin and bear it sometimes. This too shall pass.

>>18241725
>I wish that I could "put on mourning" or something as I go around so people wouldn't ask me if I'm having a good day, or why my eyes are red, or whatever
I hear you, anon.
>>
Could have swore i clicked /adv/

Where the fuck am i?
>>
>>18242908
You're in an /adv/ thread that embodies the actual purpose of /adv/.
>>
You should visit a death cafe. In western society we pretend death doesnt exist, its not healthy.
>>
>>18243651
What is a death cafe?
>>
>>18243651
Wow: there is one in the town next to me tomorrow!! Thanks, anon!
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.