[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I'm about to graduate with a masters in math. I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: scottish ban evasion.gif (3MB, 480x272px) Image search: [Google]
scottish ban evasion.gif
3MB, 480x272px
So I'm about to graduate with a masters in math. I'm currently living in Arizona and would like to move to a northern state like Washington or oregon. The problem is I have no idea how to look for a job in those places. Can anyone give me an idea of how to go about this? I don't even know what kind of jobs to look for or who hires people with math degrees. I don't know any programing (I could probably learn the basics somewhat quickly).
>>
I'm in Washington and it has great welfare, which leads me to why in the fuck did you get a math degree?
>>
>>18239562
Well I started off with a math teaching degree but they kicked me out of that since I got a C in one of my english classes. Then I saw I had all A's in my math classes and decided to just get a math major. Then turns out I'm somewhat decent at pure math so I wanted to get a masters (thinking it could help me job chances)
>>
1 or 2 more bumps
>>
Learn to program. Refresh your discrete math skills. Get good at algorithms.

You know where this is going
>>
>>18239555
It took me 15 seconds to type "jobs math oregon".

Try it
>>
>>18241931
Ok did that, got a few job aggregate websites. These are just some of the jobs they are listing under the "math job"

>Data scientist
not qualified
>marketing analysis
Not qualified
>Electrical engineer intern
Not qualified
>Software engineer
Not qualified
>Cost administrator
Not qualified.
>Actuary
Not qualified
>market research analysis
Not qualified.

Do you seriously think I didn't try this before? All these "math" jobs are either actuaries, or engineers or other shit that takes business degrees/ years of experience for me to
>>
>>18241998
>for me to
even meet the minimum requirements.
>>
A 4 year degree in math without any programming is about as useful for getting you a job in a related field as a gender studies course is.

It happens a lot, just didn't choose the right degree to get a job. Either go get your Masters (which will open more options) or pay off your debts then go back to school for something completely different you know you'll find work in
>>
>>18242058
I have my masters.
>>
Listen, mate, while math may be the foundation of many fields and sciences, there's not much you can do with it alone. By itself it's a purely theoretical concept, it can't be applied in a void. Your best bet is to decide on math-related field to work in and start studying about that field. Maybe take a few MOOCs or get a certificate or 2 to have something to fill up your resume with. Either that or become a math teacher.

I know it sounds a little harsh having to go back and study another field after finishing a masters, but it's really not that bad. Math is a very sought after skill these days and you won't need much knowledge other than that to get an entry level job, just a small basis. You should try to look for job fares in your area, there should be some once in a while, so you can talk directly to employers. They'll tell you what they're looking for, what you can qualify for and what other knowledge you will need to work in different positions.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.