[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it worth potentially restarting a degree if it's at a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: UpC9BkF.jpg (373KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
UpC9BkF.jpg
373KB, 1920x1080px
Is it worth potentially restarting a degree if it's at a better university?

i'm in my second year of a comp sci degree at an average polytechnic but i might have the opportunity to transfer into the same course at a russell group uni. if i can i'll go straight into second year there, but if i can't i would still be able to start from the beginning. the finance isn't a problem, i've got that covered.

my question is would it be worth it? is an education from a russell group university worth discarding the two years done so far or is it considered negligible? for the record i've been considering doing a master's degree/phd in the future.
>>
>>18239177
Dont be dumb. Switch school after you finish bc and start masters so you dont lose progress.
>>
>>18239206
i'm concerned that my course's content will leave me really unprepared a masters degree though. fore example the only mathematics we've done is relatively basic set theory, stuff like calculus and more advanced discreet mathematics hasn't even been mentioned. i thought that stuff was vital to comp sci
>>
>>18239240
All my life in uni could be told as:
start class with 0 knowledge
gain knowledge
pass tests
do homeworks
pass more tests
get degree lol

Throwing 2 years just because you MAYBE will miss some math class is stupid. If you are clever, you will study the missing parts in no time between classes.

If you are really clever, you will download reccomended classes materials from your target school and compare it to your current classes.

What you want to do is to get into some kind of intership asap to get real life experience.
>>
>>18239250
>Throwing 2 years just because you MAYBE will miss some math class is stupid. If you are clever, you will study the missing parts in no time between classes.
if this knowledge isn't part of the course's curriculum then i won't have any evidence that i actually know it though. wouldn't most people in interviews prefer someone who has a degree that they know entails this knowledge rather than just believing someone learned it in their free time?

>What you want to do is to get into some kind of intership asap to get real life experience.
i have a placement year secured which i start in a few weeks. i spent one year doing in a job relevant to my degree, hopefully this will help with job experience that i'll need.
>>
>>18239262
No, i didnt tell you to drop out from school.

I told you to stay in your current school and finish the course no matter what and if you feel like smart boy, compare your current student materials from shit school to materials from your "dream" school. You will see that the knowledge is the same. If not, you can study it yourself and be the best student.

Switch schools after you finish your current course, NOT in the middle.
>>
>>18239284
i wasn't saying to drop out of school, i was saying wouldn't someone rather know for certain they went to a good school and learned everything than went to a not as good school and just believe that the person is telling the truth when they say they learned the rest to a sufficient standard in their spare time
>>
>>18239290
For me the degree is just a paper to open doors to corporations. Once i am in, i have to prove either right at interview i know my shit, or in couple of weeks of the job to not get fired right away.

All people worrying about math are just ones who never actually done any real job. On real job you have to be as effective as possible. You solve problems by finding already existing solutions, gluing things together and later (if time even allows it) tuning it to run better, more to specifications and so on. Your boss will love you if you manage to solve problems faster than they keep showing themselves.

And if you come with problem nobody ever saw before, you will have to research anyway. The importance of which school is mostly irrelevant. What matters is how confident you are at interview and later in job how much flexible you are and how good can you comunicate with people.

Nobody really cares about math. Unless you will do some game engine or CAD software. Then you will have to relearn algebra anyway.
>>
>>18239177
They wont let you transfer credits or receive equivelants?
>>
>>18239317
makes sense. i saw some people discussing universities they got into (very good ones) and i think i was just very insecure and let it get to me, i obsess over wondering whether or not i've made the right choice.

thankyou
>>
>>18239177
Fuck no, are you retarded? Finish what you start and advance after you've got that done. I went to a private school to get my certification in massage therapy, then I went to community college and got a bachelor's in Kinesiology. It was all the same material, so I burned through the classes, fucked fit girls and when I was done a ton of doors opened up for me. Advance after you've got some experience in the field, it'll be well worth it.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.