[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>20 year old man >Have no desire to help other people >Considering

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: 1487477296968.png (107KB, 244x311px) Image search: [Google]
1487477296968.png
107KB, 244x311px
>20 year old man
>Have no desire to help other people
>Considering going to college for either Marketing or Social work

Is it possible to develop a desire to help other human beings? I've never felt it before.

Is it just due to immaturity, or is it something more? I always score lowly on empathy quizzes.

I thought I had Aspergers, but it turns out I'm just an INFP (on MBTI personality test), and Aspergers is largely just the pathologization of introversion.

A lot of people say compassion is something that must be cultivated to be experienced. Is this true?
>>
>>18238116
You don't need to have the desire to help other people? Why do you even care for it

I recognise that if I scratch someone's back, they might scratch mine, but that sure as hell doesn't mean I'll help people purely out of desire and goodness.

So long as you're conscientious enough to avoid fucking people over, its all good.
>>
>>18238123
It's a direct attribute of Social Work.
>>
File: 2017-03-10 11.03.04 am.png (404KB, 1195x492px) Image search: [Google]
2017-03-10 11.03.04 am.png
404KB, 1195x492px
It will happen when it happens. Then you'll lose it again. It's the eternal cycle. Just do you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqhV917_ZnI
>>
>>18238126
Why do you want to do social work if you don't have any desire to help other people?
>>
>>18238128
It seems like a very interesting, fulfilling line of work if I can tap into a desire that I've never had.
>>
>>18238127
Man, now I want to download Lord of War
>>
>>18238135
Dunno mate, they get paid fuck all and have a high rate of depression
>>
>>18238116
Do you have any specific people you care about and would help if they needed it? When people want to help other people it's because they appreciate that other people care and are cared for in the same way they do with their loved ones. Unless you have love already in your heart you can't apply it to the wider human race. If you don't already have any connections to humanity maybe social work will let you get to know the people you can help and this will engender charity in you.
>>
>>18238159
I've got my immediate family, but the issue arises that it's not something I can really appreciate as it is intrinsic.

A part of me doesn't want to just randomly pick up social work with no desire to under take such a thing.

It'd be detrimental for me and for the people that need help from others that care.
>>
>>18238186
If you're empathy doesn't extend beyond you're immediate family well that's actually pretty normal, most people aren't trying to save the world or anything, they're just trying to do right by their loved ones. If you don't have any desire to be a social worker then don't be one. Are you trying to prove to yourself that you're a good person? You could volunteer sometimes, it'd be more than a lot of people do, you don't need to make it your whole career.
>>
>>18238197
I'm not trying to prove anything to myself, but I tried carpentry, and the thing that bit me the most was that it felt totally meaningless.

People are very complicated, and I feel that I could benefit if I've the desire to help them in my brain. It would be a very satisfying line of work for a person like me.
>>
File: 8x5_Janitor_Cox.jpg (37KB, 430x640px) Image search: [Google]
8x5_Janitor_Cox.jpg
37KB, 430x640px
>>18238135
Do you WANT to develop a desire to help people?

You don't know, of course... you're only 20.

The business of helping others tends to be a thankless job. People don't particularly like doctors, nurses, therapists, or social workers. But, those jobs will always be necessary to society, and it is a booming industry. You'll have a stable career, plenty of advancement opportunities, and good benefits. But, you'll also learn each day just how horrible people can be, even (sometimes especially) to those who are trying to help them.

Still, I wouldn't discourage anyone from pursuing it.
>>
>>18238236
I've heard it's very beneficial.

I want to develop that desire because every time I see a motorist broken down on the side of the road I'm reminded of how cruel the world really is.

I just want to forget the isolation and negativity in this life.
>>
>>18238247
I don't know what kind of social work you're interested in doing. Or where you're from.

All I can tell you about is what I know from working in a hospital in NYC. And, buddy... it's mostly isolation and negativity. That's just life.
>>
>>18238116
Don't know where you are from but in the USA social work is a low paying field for the education required. If you don't have the passion for helping people you better find some sort of motivation for doing it.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.