[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I get myself to enter the gym? I already payed for membership

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: 1490732836981.png (200KB, 1389x1732px) Image search: [Google]
1490732836981.png
200KB, 1389x1732px
How do I get myself to enter the gym? I already payed for membership but haven't even gone yet in 2 weeks. I'm going to be completely lost and I'm so clumsy I'll probably hurt myself or others with the weights.
>>
>>18232717
don't compare yourself to others, low weights but more reps= fat loss/heavy weights less reps=muscle gain
>>
First of all, try not to worry about your first time - it's gonna be pretty daunting walking through those doors to start with, but once you're in that's the hardest part over and done with! Next, just start with the machines - there's usually instructions or a visual guide for how to use it (alternatively don't be afraid to ask staff or someone who looks like they know what they're doing), and it's very difficult to do anything wrong when using them. Maybe look up some exercises online before you go so you have an idea of what you want to do, but I'd definitely recommend just starting with the machines to build up your base strength first, and you can go on to free weights later when you have a better idea of what you're doing. Finally, don't worry about what anyone else there thinks, people may glance over at you if you're new but they won't be judging you - in fact a lot of veteran gym-goers are pleased to see people starting up because it shows that you want to improve yourself. So don't worry too much about feeling self-conscious (it's natural to feel a bit nervous), just plug your headphones in, pick an exercise, and have a good time! Best of luck friendo!
>>
>>18232732
Also, as this guy says, think about what you want to achieve in the gym.

If you want to get strong: 6-8 reps heavy weight
If you want to get big: 10-15 reps at medium weight
If you want to burn fat: 15+ reps at a manageable weight.

To begin with though, just do about 3 sets of 10 reps and build it up from there. As a newbie, pretty much anything you do in the gym will build muscle if you're eating right!
>>
>>18232717
You need to have at least one objective.
Be it superficial (looking good : having more muscle volume and/or lower fat ratio), or non-superficial (being stronger / more athletic - cardio), or a mix of both...
You also need to have short-term objective (6 months ) and longer term objectives (3 years).

Once you have clear objectives, you can make a plan.
And following a clear plan, a clear training schedule, is easier than you think.
>>
Finally, in terms of actually getting in the door, you kinda just gotta go for it! I'd recommend going at an off-peak time if you can, usually from about 10am-4pm and 7pm onwards. There are fewer people around to cause anxiety that way. Also, take some music and headphones (preferably obvious ones so people can see not to bother you), it kinda acts like a shield because people will know you're busy doing your own thing and not bother you, plus you have something comforting to focus on as you work out!

Sorry for going on at you, or if this information is all useless to you or anything, it's just that since my friend forced me to start going to the gym about 6 months ago my life has been so much better. I'm already feeling a lot more confident and it's done wonders for my mental health, so I really think it'd be cool for you to start going and see if it can do anything for you too :) good luck!
>>
>>18232717
But even though having clear objectives and following a plan (that you can easily find on the internet) is the way to go, you don't do this in your first month.
In your first month, you explore ... you do a bit of every machine - with low/medium weight, a bit of cardio... Seeing which machines and exercices you have trouble with... This will prevent you from getting hurt as well as helping you to customize your program later on.
>>
>>18232794
>10am-4pm and 7pm onwards
No, it's crowded all day everyday. I've stalked it enough to know people start coming in as soon as it opens at 5am. I guess that is my best chance.
>>
File: arniedickreps.jpg (34KB, 378x568px) Image search: [Google]
arniedickreps.jpg
34KB, 378x568px
Watch videos on proper form, try to choose a bunch of exercises from the internet before you go so you have a play instead of doing random shit like a retard.
I'm not one to give gym advice so I can't tell you what exactly to do.
Start with very small weights if you don't know how much you can lift.
>>
>>18232839
a plan*
>>
>>18232717
Go to /fit/ and read the sticky and ask questions if you didn't understand something from the sticky and 8 SCOOPS CMON
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.