[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you survive homelessness /adv/? I got no car, was laid

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: cities-la_optimized.jpg (309KB, 1500x700px) Image search: [Google]
cities-la_optimized.jpg
309KB, 1500x700px
How do you survive homelessness /adv/?

I got no car, was laid off last month and haven't been able to find anything with just my HS degree, I'm getting kicked out of my mom's house (I'm 20) in a week and I have no friends who can receive me.

I got $700 on my bank account but that isn't enough for a place in Southern California, where I currently live. I'm not hooked on anything, I don't even drink, so I think I won't get bogged down by anything like that.

But it's still scary. How do you do it /adv/?
>>
>>18226470
Offer to pay rent to yout "mom" and keep looking for a job.

I dont believe your mom is so bad at being mom she will make you homeless even if you are trying to improve your situation.
>>
>>18226496
You see, the thing is, she's alcoholic and wants to kick me out to be with her boyfriend (who also wants me out).
>>
>>18226502
Friends? Other relatives?
Flipping burgers until you find better job?
Social help?
Dirt cheap motels and other shit accomodations where you can pay daily?

Jezus man dont be homeless.

What education you have? Didnt you see this situation coming before hand?
>>
Well for starters, since you have literally nothing tieing you to this expensive ass city anymore, start making your way to cheaper towns.
Head midwest, it's where dreams go to die but it's cheap.
Once you get there, start looking into jobs asap, every burger flipping job you can find. See if you can find a cheap gym membership to shower in, or be sure to look into shelters around the area. You need to stay clean and ready for a job interview.

Also, you might hit up care.com/craigslist. I've seen some ads out for a live in caretaker job from time to time. Look into those, if they agree to meet you, I wouldn't tell them you're homeless obviously. Just look like the most upstanding individual you can be.

Hit up craigslist in general too, people post odd jobs all the time. Yeah, they're gonna usually be hard manual labor for basically minimum wage or less, but you're not in a position to turn down even a dime.
>>
>>18226470
go to craigslist and search for rooms for rent in someones house or apartment, usually you can find a private bedroom/bathroom for under $500 month to month (without a 12 month lease)
>>
>>18226523
>head midwest
This is terriblr advice, you're more likely to end up unemployed and addicted to heroin; Big coastal cities may be more expensive but they also offer many more job opportunities (not to mention higher salaries) than in the midwest, where once a factory closes down, there's competition for every single job from everywhere.

There's a reason immigrants head to New York, LA and the bay area and not to cheap towns in middle america even though it's more expensive.
>>
>>18226555
That may be a good idea when you have the start up money to afford to live and job search in that big city. But the thing is, as soon as you become the homeless slob with no access to showers, haircuts, and clean clothes your chances at getting a job are about -20%.

While the dude still has some cash, he should get the fuck out of the financial black hole that is the big city, get established somewhere cheap, and then build up. So when that factory does close down, he can have the savings to float longer or get back to the city.
>>
>>18226555
OP is unemployed. The key to not getting hooked on heroin is not to use it or opioids. And there are large immigrant populations in a lot more cities than coastal ones. When you are unemployed and broke it isnt a horrible idea to move someplace else. I'd rather make minimum wage in New Mexico than in San Diego.
>>
OP here is a really good amazing guide for surviving on being homeless from a guy who was homeless for years and broke out of it.

http://guide2homelessness.blogspot.com/2005/02/interactive-list-of-best.html

On top of this google more guides and youtube videos on the best things you can do while you're homeless. And if you run into anybody else who is homeless, share this information with them and tell them to tell other homeless people if they see them too. Don't just search for homeless guides, but also strategies for getting out of being homeless. The internet has those. Look for them.

There are guides by psychology clinics on dealing with many mental illnesses without any medication at all. As a way to cope if you can't afford any. These guides are very useful to people who can follow the advice you'll share that i've shared with you but who would still suffer from mental illness and not follow through. Look up these guides if you're interested in treating a mental illness of your own or helping somebody else.

Look up guides for getting off of drug addictions as well. Reputable ones from good websites.

I wish you the best of luck
>>
>>18226604
Get a free trial period in a gym where they have showers, or take a French Bath in any bathroom (wet towel + sink)
>>
>>18226638
And trials expire, if OP feels good about his odds and feels like he'll be out of poverty in a month then that's fine.
and idk about you but most stores and restaurants aren't gonna be too keen on the homeless dude coming in to take a whores bath in their sink.
Plus, that doesn't do much. It's a bandaid for the problem sure, but it's not gonna be enough after a couple months on the street.
>>
>>18226638
>>18226656

If he's in a big city there are gyms on every corner. Also, gas station bathrooms, mall bathrooms (the solo ones for disabled people), etc.

I'm not trying to get OP out of the street because I cant do that, just giving advice because smelling bad takes 1-2 days. And smell sets off "hobo radar" in other people harder than anything else.
>>
File: 1489705854367.jpg (104KB, 750x534px) Image search: [Google]
1489705854367.jpg
104KB, 750x534px
>>18226470
if the woman who gave birth to you is going to make you homeless and not for good reason. then steal valuable things from her and sell them. im serious.
fuck that bitch
not like she will ever find you
>>
>>18226470

Go to a temp agency.
Its a good start.

When i had trouble finding work thats where I went. If youre any good theyll hire you on.

I got my full time job out of it, stroke of luck and amazing coincidence in ny case but i got thrown in my companies yard as a labourer and now im a skilled tradesman for them.

Went from 15 an hour (im in canada in an expensive part so that doesnt do much) to now making 2000 a week after tax.

Point is, an employment agency will hook you up with a start up job and if youre worth your weight at all you can end up hired and making decent money.
>>
>>18226605

I have no job prospects and absolutely hate the area in which I live. the people are nice but I hate them, hate the sports teams, hate the town and county names.

I am too scared to move though because my derelict ass would get rejected in any new place I go to
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.