[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

As someone who's a recovering alcoholic here, how do I not

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

As someone who's a recovering alcoholic here, how do I not get jealous when looking at people's photos of them at bars or sharing a drink? Every time I look it reminds me of all of the fun times I used to have. Everything I try to go do to replace it just reminds me that I'm not having as much fun as everyone else.
>>
Think about all of the bad and embarrassing shit that you did when drunk that you're now ashamed of
>>
>>18223939

I don't really have much. I was always a well behaved drunk. Anything I did that could be considered "bad and embarrassing" would be like looking back at something cringeworthy I did in 7th grade - not all that bad in the scheme of things.
>>
>>18223931
You're on 4chan. What do you want us to say?
Nothing will trigger that "aha" moment more than you going out, getting so trashed you almost die, have a real fucking moment of realization, and cut that shit out of your life.

My bf sleeps face up. He was so drunk one night he almost choked on his own vomit. I heard him choking and woke up in time to roll him off bed, watch him fall onto his side, not move for a sec, and finally clear his airway. He was pale and cyanotic in some parts. It was pretty creepy desu, pretty sure he stopped breathing for a little. He hasn't gotten drunk since. That vomit was foul. It literally smelled like death for over a week in our room.
>>
>>18223972

I don't know, I figure in a place with enough degenerates there's gotta be a few who kicked the habit and live their lives comfortably.

Right now I'm struggling to figure out why I'm really stopping besides "my health," which is all well and good, but is healthy and bored better than "gonna die early" but fun?
>>
>>18223931
Why did you quit drinking?
How long has it been?
>>
>>18223990

I quit drinking because I had gone severely overboard after my uncle killed himself, and was going through like 20 drinks a day, more on the weekends when I was "going out." I work from home and couldn't focus because I was drunk, plus I wasn't finding happiness in anything at all... I just felt numb.

Two of my friends are throwing away their lives due to alcoholism, both professionally and physically, and I realized that they weren't going to take hold of their lives and stop despite everyone begging them to, and if I didn't take hold of my own destiny, I wasn't far from ending up like them.

I've been sober for a month and two weeks tomorrow.
>>
>>18223931
Stop looking at pictures on Instagram and Snapchat

Focus your time into something more productive than social media

Now give me courage to not drink the rest of my moms Vodka
>>
>>18223931
I just remembered that I never had 'fun' nights drinking anymore, or they were so rare that the number of bad nights I'd have between good nights wasn't worth it.

It changes one you start developing real connections with people in a more meaningful way than you ever had before, and that feeling makes drunken debauches pale. I don't even have that 'missing out' feeling anymore. It's like they're enjoying something I don't even recognize as fun, like a normie looking at pics of cosplay. I can see they are having a good time, but it really doesn't appeal to me. It's not even a sense of aversion or fear, it's just, idk, indifference. It just kind of happened as I continued to work on myself mentally and spiritually.

I've gone to bars and parties, chilled with girls drinking/smoking while we hang out, bought alcohol to bring to other people, and it's fine. I can go any place other men can go, as long as my mental/spiritual state is in order.

>3 years friend of Bill reporting
>>
>>18224054
Yea I
Mean if
You Are an alcoholic drinking isn't that fun and honestly WATCH people getting schlammered. They act like its normal
But it's
Not.
>>
>>18224008
Ok i was teetering between "why give up something you loved, life is whatever" and "fight the good fight"

Its the second one.

You dont actually sound like you like it at all, and yeah itll ruin you.

Side note. My childhood and still best friend's dad died in his early 30s from alcohol abuse.

My suggestions will be empty because i dont know you but ill fake confidence.

You need a hobby. More of a passion. Something you really love, and is all yours. A martial art, archery, bowling leagues. I dunno man depends on you.

But it has to be something you just love to do and fan be proud of.

Start tryin shit out nigga.
>>
>>18224104

I actually love drinking - it's just that the impetus for me to stop was a bunch of bad shit.

Otherwise most of my life I've been like "yeahhhh party on" and my booze stories are normally fun, lighthearted, and I look back on them fondly.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.