[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

"Life is like a game. Sometimes you have to grind, but you

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

File: 1295724151742.jpg (16KB, 251x250px) Image search: [Google]
1295724151742.jpg
16KB, 251x250px
"Life is like a game. Sometimes you have to grind, but you keep playing." Why? Why must I keep playing a game that I not only suck at, but I almost never even enjoy?

I'm a 27, almost 28-year old kiss-less virgin. I am 120 pounds overweight. I live at home with my mother and her shitty boyfriend. My life is going nowhere.

After graduating college for CS, I applied for a handful of boring jobs, interviewed for one, then gave up. I still work at the same job I had in college, an average of 2 days per week (not even part-time, so I get no paid time off or retirement contributions). I don't care about my job.

The worst part is that I HAVE goals. I want be a novelist, and a game developer. But I don't do a damn thing about it. I have no discipline, and no self-control. I can't seem to force myself to be productive, even in a half-assed fashion, for more than a few days at most. Every project I give up on or don't even start just makes me realize the futility of my efforts even more.

Currently, my life is a constant cycle of wanting to do things with my life, trying a bit and then giving up (or not even starting), then feeling bad about doing. Each short, fleeting bout of optimism and drive is swiftly replaced with a larger, longer bout of depression and apathy.

My mental state is in shambles, but therapy hasn't helped much. I take medication for anxiety and depression, but I've been mentally unhealthy for so long that I struggle to understand how "normal" people are even able to function properly in day-to-day life.

The prospect of working 40 hours per week accomplishing someone else's goals is the worst possible thing to me, but that's precisely what is going to happen if I continue like this... if I can't improve my mental and physical health, and get my shit together, I'm fucked.

I don't want to kill myself, but surely there must be something better than living each day with no purpose and going to bed each night hoping I get taken out by a meteor in my sleep.
>>
>>18217274
You can quit anytime.
>>
>>18217274
OP, your not wrong, and your feeling a lot of these things because your not dumb.

Remember that just about every great philosopher starts with concluding that life sucks massive dick, and then going from there. Confronting that is the first step.

check out school of lifes videos on youtube on the self, they have some nice videos written by psychoanalysts and various others and they have some pretty decent advice on living today that we really lack these days.
>>
>>18217274

>120 pounds overweight
>no discipline, and no self-control
Stop eating junk food and exclude caffeine from your diet. Caffeine is an addictive drug that causes impulsivity. It is only good for when you need to remain standing and walk sometimes.
>>
File: 1395515749894.gif (991KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1395515749894.gif
991KB, 320x240px
>>18217274

>Why? Why must I keep playing a game that I not only suck at, but I almost never even enjoy?

You don't have to. No one cares if you want to be a miserable cunt and die alone. Go for it. Its not our job to convince you not to be a fucking loser.
>>
>>18217381
If you think it's not incredibly obvious how much your projecting your own mental health problems, your wrong. You seem in a worse place then OP, at least he's frank about himself and thats kind of likable.
>>
File: 1386653948462.gif (493KB, 175x177px) Image search: [Google]
1386653948462.gif
493KB, 175x177px
>>18217391

Top fucking kek. I'd love to live in your world where expressing complete ambivalence about someone else's autistic hissy fit is somehow considered projection.

Also, I think its cute how you are somehow able to surmise I have mental health problems and have a bad life based on 4 sentences on the internet that contained absolutely no personal information. Some kind of wizard you must be.

I know projection is the cool buzzword for 4chan these days but knowing what it means and using it correctly seems like an important aspect.
>>
>>18217375

I have started doing this. I'm only like a week into it though, so it's going to take a while. I have no plans to go on a diet, other than eating some less carbs and eating smaller portion sizes of the stuff I already eat. Enough to lose maybe a pound per week.

Honestly, I'm more concerned about my "purpose" in life. The last few days I've done almost nothing but sleep, because I feel like there is no point in being awake when I have no "reason" to be.

I've spent too long letting my mental health deteriorate, and making no progress toward my goals, but... I feel like I just don't have the capacity to do the things that need to be done to actually accomplish my goals, or at least make some actual progress for once.

No amount of self-help books/articles/videos or advice from friends makes a difference. I honestly don't know how I expect to become a productive person the way I am right now.
>>
>>18217414

Why bother commenting then? Your reply served no purpose other than to make yourself feel better about something. If that was not the case, you wouldn't have felt the need to comment in the way you did. Happy people don't seek to best others down.
>>
You have goals, yet you can't find the motivation to work towards them? Well then, maybe they're not the right goals for you.

In your case starting to work towards your goals would be pretty fucking easy. You want to be a novelist? Great, start writing small stories. Create characters, build fictional worlds and imagine different settings/events then mash them together and see what works and what doesn't. You could make a shitty blog to put your stuff on, if you keep at it eventually you'll get good and may be noticed.

You want to be a game dev? Nothing easier, start making really small games. Snake tier, just to exercise your programming skills. Then make bigger and bigger projects, which eventually will involve a story and characters and whatnot. Considering your other interests you could focus on text-based RPGs or something like that, since they don't require too much programming experience.

If you can't push yourself to do these things then maybe they're not the goals for you. Just because you like playing games and reading fiction doesn't necessarily mean you'll also enjoy creating them. Try to figure out if that's what you really want to do with your life, if that's the kind of thing you would enjoy. Figure out what you could be good at and what you would enjoy doing, then work very hard to become good at it.

If you really want to improve your life read "The power of habit" by Charles Duhigg, "Mastery" by Robert Greene and "Happiness" by Matthieu Ricard and APPLY what you read. These books will offer you some powerful "tools" that can help with your issues but it's still up to you to use them.
>>
>>18217414
It's very simple: only someone with mental health issues insults someone and pushes them to kill themselves when they're honestly being pretty nice and vulnerable and asking for help on what is a forum meant to help people.

The fact that you dont understand this, that a healthy person doesn't act this way, illustrates my point.
>>
File: 1471080296955.gif (3MB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
1471080296955.gif
3MB, 600x338px
>>18217425

>Why bother commenting then?

Ummmm, because this is an online anonymous image board that people visit to kill time? Why does anyone bother commenting?

>Your reply served no purpose other than to make yourself feel better about something

I don't understand how stating an obvious fact has anything to do with making me feel better. The same rule applies to myself. The world doesn't give a shit if I don't see the "point" to bettering myself or working to achieve a dream. No one cares if I decide to be a loser and no one will listen when I complain about it. Living your life like a fucking pity party on two legs is exhausting for both yourself and the people around you. It also achieves absolutely nothing.

That is the cold, hard reality of the world.

>If that was not the case, you wouldn't have felt the need to comment in the way you did. Happy people don't seek to best others down.

You know nothing about me other than a few sentences I've typed on the internet, so this armchair psychology wizard shit doesn't have and logical basis. Being happy or not has nothing to do with the truth. The truth is the world won't give you meaning in life. Putting the burden on other people to convince you to be a productive member of society is fruitless and immature and frankly, stinking of entitlement. The world doesn't care. Find the motivation in yourself to better yourself or lay down and die because no one has time or energy for a whiny cunt. That includes myself. If I were a whiny cunt like OP I hope someone would tell me the truth and shake me out of it.
>>
>>18217433

I appreciate the advice.

The possibility that these aren't the right goals for me scares me, because my biggest passions lie in the subjects of fiction and games. If I don't enjoy the process of creating the things I supposedly want to create, what the yell would I enjoy? I honestly can't even imagine.

At this point, I don't really enjoy much of anything other than playing video games, and that's no purpose. I'd consider it lucky if I were to find out that not enjoying doing the things I feel I should be able to do is simply a symptom of my depression, rather than proof that my real passions lie elsewhere.

At least having goals means I feel like I should have a purpose, even if I'm not able to push myself towards that.
>>
>>18217450
That's idiotic and toxic, EVERYONE has had times when they falter and are supported by others, why demonize one of the few things that are heartwarming in life, the giving and receiving of support from others. This is an advice board after all.

Consider that im a huge fan of UFC and MMA in general. These are men that fight for a living, extremely tough mentally and psychically, but they depend heavily and deeply on the support of their coaches and corner men, no fighter would think of going into a fight alone, without support, it just wouldn't work. A fighter can even have his performance drastically change when they're missing someone that's usually in their corner. Many fighters cant do a weight-cut unless their family or friends are present and supporting them.

And again, we're talking about fighters, paragons of mental and psychical toughness, and they definitely can get by without support from others. Anothony johnson, a fighter who knocks people out and is one of the finest knockout artists in the game looked positively heartbroken last week when his coaches walked out early after he had lost a match.
>>
>>18217451
All of us have natural inclination towards different things based on our genetic makeup. All people who have achieved great things in their lives have a similarity: They were all very driven, curious and passionate about their work and most of them discovered this passion as children. When you are a child you're mostly free of the social constructs imposed on you by others. This lets you easily distinguish what are the things you could excel as, what you would enjoy working at. You may have missed that opportunity in your childhood, but this doesn't mean your "calling" is hidden from you now. Try to think back to what you enjoying doing as a young child, what sparked curiosity in you and what fascinated you. Ask your parents and whoever older people were around you in your childhood about it. Ask them to try and remember what kind of things sparked an interest in you, then figure out what exactly was it about those things that you enjoyed.

If that doesn't work out look at the things you enjoy now and try to figure out whether you were "trained" to like them by society or you find something enjoyable interesting in them by yourself. And, again, figure out exactly what it is that made you enjoy those things. If you don't find anything try to expand your horizons. Read and learn about different fields, from sociology to architecture and whatnot and see what resonates with you, what can hold your attention. And remember that this is an extensive task, don't give up just because you can't find what you're looking for in a few months. The process itself is very beneficial to your development.

But yeah, first of all read those books I recommended, they'll give you a much clearer perspective on this matter than I can (especially "Mastery", regarding this issue).
>>
>>18217487
>All of us have natural inclination towards different things based on our genetic makeup.

The jury is definitely still out on that one. We can see some traits are sometimes associated with certain genes but not always and we dont know that means its an actual cause. I'd argue that observation seems to suggest that your experiences influence you far more then your genetics. Many would argue we're born blank slates.
>>
>>18217450

You're just proving his point for him.
>>
>>18217416
>I have started doing this. I'm only like a week into it though, so it's going to take a while.

Are you one week cold turkey from caffeine?

>I have no plans to go on a diet, other than eating some less carbs and eating smaller portion sizes of the stuff I already eat.

You should be specific about your diet. The word 'carbohydrates' refers to sugars and starches. You should eat less sugar overall, less starch from wheat, potatoes, and rice; but more starch from fruits and vegetables.

I have lost more than 10 pounds in one week by suddenly going vegetarian.

>Honestly, I'm more concerned about my "purpose" in life.

Then, you need to engage yourself in a productive activity: like building or writing.

The purpose of life is that you are what you make of it.
>>
>>18217504
It's true that the brain is very plastic, especially in your early years, so experience can greatly influence you, but you will have very strong tendencies to one thing or another based on your genetic make-up and early development. In your embryonic stage you develop different parts of your body, including your brain to different extents. This development continues throughout your entire life, but the primal growth is the most impactful. For instance, some athletes discover that they have a very easy time growing a certain group of muscles and a harder time growing another, despite putting the same effort in them.

This happens to a greater extent with your brains, although it is a lot subtler. It's why some people find it easier to remember sounds while others are better at recalling visuals. Some people understand things by putting them into complete images, others by abstracting them into smaller concepts, usually using language, numbers or geometrical shapes like circles and squares. Yes, experience plays a role here, but some people have huge trouble trying to learn things a certain way, no matter how early they're trained to do it. You can see this very easy in the extremes. Some people with severe autism can think only in terms of images and sounds, while others have perfect memory, be it eidetic or echoic. While these are considered disorders we are all different in this regard, we can recall certain things harder or easier, we understand certain concepts in different way and with a different amount of effort. It's just not to an extent where the difference is clearly visible, but it is there and it will affect our view of the world and our interests. And there are many others "natural" differences likes this between us.

I guess it's true that these differences are not a result of genes alone, but you can't realistically change them in your adult years any more than you can change your bone structure.
>>
>>18217565

I am not, I still drink a soda on the way to work on the weekends.

I wish I liked coffee or tea, that would make it easier to completely kick my soda habit.

At home I mostly drink sparkling water and the low/no calorie lemonade-type water mixes you can get
>>
Just wanted to mention one last thing, as I've been talking to a close friend about the issues I've been having, and he brought up some good points about how I think, and how I'm demotivating myself.

I have a habit of thinking long-term/big picture, so writing every day becomes needing to write 1K words each day for 75 days to write a 300-page novel, which is a 3-month commitment (not counting editing). Then I think about the fact that most indie authors need to release 3 books before they start to see a notable return for their work, so that's a full year of writing, 3 books, 90+ days per book...

Same thing with gamedev. Most games are in development for 2 or 3 years before even entering early access, with another year or 2 before they're eventually finished...

He makes a good point. I'm not longer able to get "out of my head," so my thoughts about things just drag me down, and they make my goals seem that much more difficult to attain...

I wish meditation worked for me, because I've heard great things about it. Of course, there is mindfulness too, and perhaps cognitive behavioral therapy...

Hell, even in that list of solutions I just keep piling on in my mind until it seems un-doable :/
----------

The one thing I have no doubts about is my desire to brig the sort of work to the world that impacts people in a meaningful way, whether that be in books, games, or something else. For example, there's something about anime that really gets to me, makes me feel deeply about a variety of things, and inspires me to want to share that feeling with others.

In my current state, however, it's not enough just to try to hold onto that, to think about that... it's a noble thing to think about, but it doesn't keep me going after the first few days.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.