[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is taking a break in a relationship ever beneficial? What circumstances

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

File: frgyuijo.jpg (98KB, 540x763px) Image search: [Google]
frgyuijo.jpg
98KB, 540x763px
Is taking a break in a relationship ever beneficial? What circumstances really qualify for a break rather than a break up?

For example, is feeling like you rely on your SO too much and basically wanting to try and sort your problems out by yourself, is that really a good idea to take a break over that?
Also, people who end up taking breaks to basically go off and have sex with others until they get it out of their system, is the relationship ever any better when you or if you get together again?
>>
>>18214270
no either break up and never talk to them again or quit being a bitch and get through it
everyone has problems, if you walk away youre just too childish to handle it.
>>
>>18214270

depends on the definition of a 'break'. but generally speaking when someone says 'we should take a break' they meaning 'we shoudl take a breaking up'.
>>
Imagine "let's take a break" from work. So the bills pile up and you both die of hunger. Imagine you're married and take a break while you have kids in the picture...

What is a break but an excuse not to say "you drain me, you bother me". The older you get, the less patience you have for that weak shit. It either works, or it doesn't. And that "break" to go off and fuck other people is called cheating.
>>
>>18214270
Just letting you know to take everything adv with a grain of salt. I was on a break with my gf and everyone told me it was over but two months of not talking later we ended up just fine and the break allowed us a time of self reflection.
>>
>>18214295
Cont.

we gotta learn to be less indolent, more forgiving, and yes, we also have to give people space to recharge their spirit so to speak.
>>
>>18214270
Adv is full of insecure men thinking that breaks means that its a free pass to cheat and that every women will cheat. Its not always true.
>>
>is tkaing a break ever beneficial

it is when there are things that need t be addressed independently

>what circumstances really quality for a break rather than a break up

depends. but a break generally means you get back togehter. a break up doesn't.

if you mean what circumstances require a break vs a break up, well it depends. as long as both parties are understanding of the rules and circumsdtances, anthing can be a break. the big question is, what are the rules? if theres no rules and plans, how is it only a break? and if there are rules, why do you NEED a break?
>>
>>18214270

>For example, is feeling like you rely on your SO too much and basically wanting to try and sort your problems out by yourself, is that really a good idea to take a break over that?

depends on what those problems are and what the rules are. what happens if they can't be solved? what happens if they can? do you fix them then just go out to dinner that night?

without clear definitions for both parties it just becuase drama.
>>
>>18214304
No, it's not. But it doesn't mean it isn't annoying and doesn't show a lack of commitment.
>>
>>18214270

>to have sex and get it out of their system

i have never actually seen a relationship where this knowingly happened. I've seen people say 'lets take a break' for other reasons, then they go have sex, then they come back and pretend to have resolved their other issues. but even in those circumstances it usually just means the relationships dysfunctional and on the way to its end
>>
>>18214270
I've never not seen a "break" actually mean "I want to fuck someone else and not feel bad about it."

100%.
>>
>>18214300
Seriously, how good is a relationship where both parties can't stand to see eachother for two months?
>>
>>18214317
What if one person has a mental illness or some sort of past trauma that has left them with a lot of unresolved issues, that negatively affects the relationship? Would taking a break be beneficial then because both parties love each other and want it to work? Or would breaking up be better since that kind of stuff can take a while to resolve?
>>
>>18214304
Of course it's not always true. But it tends to be true. Just because there are outliers doesn't mean that people shouldn't recognize certain trends and red flags.
>>
>>18214270
I have social anxiety. I spent most of time alone and learned to enjoy my alone time. I play with my rabbits and watch tv with them. When I got a boyfriend I talked to him everyday for 6 months straight. For people like me breaks can give me that alone time that I miss.

Yes, depending on the person, breaks can be beneficial
>>
>>18214344

>cant stand

they never said that. thats like saying 'how hungry can you really be if you're able to go another hour without eating?'

they can still be starving, but they overcome it because they know whats important.

i dont agree with breaks as a general rule, just pointing out your retardation with how you jumped to an extreme.

people who do get back together after breaks usually find their rhythm better. we are taught that couples SHOULD be codependent, as long as no one says 'co dependent'. we are taught that its totally normal for couples to spend every day and night together.

so people jump into the relationship not reallizing they are more independent people, and things feel weird.

so they take a break, reestablish their own lives, and when they get back together they better understand what they need and more importantly, what they dont.
>>
>>18214353

again, it depends on what that illness is, what that trauma is, how they plan to resolve it. like you said it can take forever. so is the non-ill partner okay with just taking a 'break' for six months? a year? years?

mental illness doesn't really get cured, and trauma can be worked on but it rarely ever leaves. what will being alone do to actually fix anything?

and again WHAT ARE THE RULES? is he allowed to sleep with and date other people? what if he falls in love with someone else? why SHOULD he wait?

ultimately whatever we say here doesn't matter becuase we could say 'YEAH THATS REAOSNABLE' but you can go to him explaining this and he'll just say 'yeah, no fuck you' and date someone else.
>>
>>18214356
So how many dicks did you suck on your break
>>
>>18214356

how much alone time do you need? can't you just NOT tlak to your boyfriend every night?

dont get me wrong im single because i love the freedom and alone time, but it seems weird to 'date' then take a break and then not see anyone else.

otherwise you're just dating but not seeing each other. big difference.
>>
>>18214363
If you can't work out your relationship problems together, then it's not a good sign.

They reestablished their own lives in two months? Sounds like you're just making excuses and rationalizing super hard for some anon's shitty relationship.
>>
>>18214381

>if oyu can't work out your relationship problems together, thenits not a good sign.

those weren't relationship problems, but rather independence problems. in order to work those out, you need to work them out alone, thats the whole point of independence. people are not omniscient and when things dont feel quite right you can't always put your finger on why.

>they restablished their own lives in two months?

probably in two weeks, how long does it take for you to EXIST after a break up anon? you literally just do what you want to do for your self instead of putting all that aside to see your partner after work.

>Sounds like you're just making excuses and rationalizing super hard for some anon's shitty relationship

no, I'm just detailing you a real world example of why time apart can give you clarity on who you are outside of disney meme romanctic notions.

sounds like YOU'RE assuming that a relationship is 'shitty' based off of two sentences of an person simply saying they had some time apart and appreciated each other more when they finally got together.
>>
>>18214356
Thats a red flag.
If a girl needs a break while dating then she isnt going to be happy when you are married.
I mean if you need a break from TEXTING then you arent going to like seeing this dudes mug every day.
>>
>>18214420
I live with my mom and my brother. Its the same deal with them as it is with my boyfriend. They give me the space because they know I need it. Its the same deal.
>>
No. They're a meme. People unwilling to comit both to the relationship and to being single.

Even if you're being honest (not taking a break because you want to fuck others), if you have a dysfunctional relationship you'll be better off always talking through the problems and trying to solve them. A break is the equivalent of letting time pass and expecting things to solve themselves magically.
>>
>>18214453
>meme
Stopped reading right there
>>
File: images-1.jpg (4KB, 299x169px) Image search: [Google]
images-1.jpg
4KB, 299x169px
>>18214397
>I can't EXIST while in a relationship
>>
>>18214471
It is literally a meme
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meme?wprov=sfla1
>>
>>18214482
Can we make taking breaks the new top meme of le reddit
>>
File: image.jpg (119KB, 392x495px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
119KB, 392x495px
Someone I was with two months ago asked for s break and is now referring to themselves as 'single', I don't know why I even kidded myself he would come back to me.
Pretty much everything that has been said here goes for that guy- commitment phobe, promiscuous, says his 'mental health' was bad bc of the relationship. Fucked me up bad if I'm honest when I saw him refer to himself as 'single' the other day but what can you do.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.