[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where can I find an in person group or online group to cope with

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: cheers-12.jpg (212KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
cheers-12.jpg
212KB, 1440x1080px
Where can I find an in person group or online group to cope with alcoholism, preferably controlling it and constructive ways to use your time and such?

(Please not AA.)

I have posted a variation of this thread a couple of times in the past, just hoping maybe I run across the right person that can help. Been sober a month now.
>>
>>18212189

Morning bump.
>>
>>18212189
Why not AA? It works.

You can try some church groups, who will all be variants on AA. Alternatively, a residential program involving group and individual sessions.
>>
>>18212482

It doesn't work for everyone, and specifically not for me. The meetings do me no good.

I am not religious, so a "higher power" doesn't work, "being powerless" is not something I can get on board with, everyone's stories don't mesh with mine, because I haven't hit "rock bottom," and when I've tried to do their moral inventory stuff with a sponsor, it never works out. I don't need someone trying to repeat that I'm a bad person, that alcohol is inherently evil, or telling me stories about how they beat their kids when they were drunk.

I'm not a nasty, mean spirited drunk. I don't have people to apologize to, I don't have troubles with work or the law, I've never spent more money on alcohol than I've had to spend. But I know that how I drink, and how much I drink, will eventually catch up to me even if I'm functional now. "The fellowship" just doesn't help me, and going through the ceremony of reading from a book or holding hands and praying does nothing but turn me off.

And telling me that one drink is just going to slip me into a world of destruction is damaging too.

What I need is a group of people that I can talk to about either abstaining or responsibly drinking in a world where drinking is pervasive. My job heavily encourages drinking, my social life heavily revolves around activities that also involve drinking, I crave drinks all the time and view drinking as a fun release and an activity in and of itself. I need to speak to some people that can encourage ways for me to turn down booze when I really DO want to drink, or point me in the direction of activities that keep them from drinking but still keep them entertained (for the month I've been sober I have left my house two times for leisure activities, everything else is work/shopping/gym, because my friends are drinkers), just a lifestyle adjustment without the rage and moral inventory and sickness and spirituality speak.
>>
>>18212508
Sounds like you have a lot of similarities to me. I have limited knowledge to AA but the whole powerlessness to stop drinking meme seems counterproductive to me. I just stopped drinking altogether and I think a better term for my drinking habits was a binge drinker rather than an alcoholic. Good luck finding an alternative to AA. Seems like most addiction groups use the 12 steps.
>>
>>18212508

there's actually an entire movement of people in AA who use it for its structure but work with the opposite instructions. they insist that they are the only ones with the powre to stop their drinking and such.

basically keep going to AA so you have that support group and then follow your own plan.
>>
>>18212794

Again, AA does not work for me. PLEASE stop suggesting AA. I don't want to start talking bad about it, but the experience has been nothing but shitty, scammy, awful bottom of the barrel people that I can't relate to, and I've tried going multiple times, in multiple places. It's not for me.
>>
>>18212805
Well, where do you live? Maybe we can hang out.
>>
>>18213146

Nevada. You?
>>
>>18213366
Ohio. Sorry OP. I'm the binge drinker anon from above. AA started with the best of intentions but has become a cult like religion. At least that's my opinion from all the information I have seen. Only lasted about 25 minutes into a meeting myself though lol. Try to find friends who don't drink or do activities that aren't focused around drinking. I need to follow my own advice though, aside from work or running errands the only time I leave the house is the occasional outing with the gf.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.