[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/adv/ Call me what you want, I have a problem with math. I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: math.jpg (27KB, 420x294px) Image search: [Google]
math.jpg
27KB, 420x294px
/adv/ Call me what you want, I have a problem with math. I'm a junior in college and I can't pass the required math courses for my major. What the fuck do I do? I'm currently trying to take the first math class for my major for the second time after having to withdraw due to a failing grade the first time. I have a 69 in the course right now and three weeks left including the final exam which i will most likely fail. This is also the simplest of the math courses I have ahead (Microeconomics).

I don't know what to do. I feel like it's way too late to change my major now and all of the good ones include math just like this one does.

Should I drop out? Maybe go pick up a votech certification that takes a year and try to pay off my debts with a normal 40k job and see where that takes me?
>>
>>18211400
Move to NY, 4 year colleges just became free here for those making less than 100,000.
>>
File: 1471293210283.jpg (73KB, 620x436px) Image search: [Google]
1471293210283.jpg
73KB, 620x436px
>>18211400
I can't do any math that's harder than Algebra, so I pursued an English degree instead. At times I feel ashamed for not having the knowledge that some of my peers have in mathematics, but then I remember that everyone has their own strengths and weaknesses. In the same way that I may be horrible at math, my peers could be equally as horrible with English, or just writing in general.

I can't imagine how it must feel to be in your shoes, OP. You haven't really mentioned having trouble with your other classes, so it must be safe to assume that you're only having trouble with math. In such case, you're in the wrong major. Your best option right now is to go talk to a counselor, and see where your options lie. The entire collective of 4chan can't do what one meeting with a trained academic counselor can.

You're wasting your time here.
>>
>>18211498
Hey thanks, yeah I'm actually a straight A student in my other courses. It's just my math classes I can't wrap my head around. I contemplated English, but what in the world will I do with that degree?
>>
>>18211430
...I can't believe this is happening. Isn't this going to screw over everybody because of the massive surge of students with the same degrees?
>>
>>18211430
Almost sounds too good to be true
>>
>>18211498
>>18211538

Just going to throw this out there. I agree that high level math is not for everyone.

But EVERYONE can do algebra, EVERYONE.

More often than not student who struggle with any math have bad foundations in basic arithmetic and algebra.

When was the last math class you took?
What level was it at?

There may be a lot of catching up to do, but it is certainly possible, just depends on how much you have to make up for that you missed the first time.

Also,
How many hours do you spend doing homework?

How many hours do you spend studying (reading and practice problems)?

How regularly do you take advantage of school provided tutoring?

How often do you utilize your teachers office hours?

I often find that within those four questions is often the issue.
>>
>>18211542
They said they would pay for it, not that everyone would be admitted... or that they would allow anyone admitted to choose whatever major they want.

Kids pay and can't even do that currently, you're jumping to unrealistic conclusions..
>>
>>18211557
How many hours do you spend doing homework?

How many hours do you spend studying (reading and practice problems)?

How regularly do you take advantage of school provided tutoring?

How often do you utilize your teachers office hours?

Per week for all of those
>>
File: 1479532512957.jpg (88KB, 461x334px) Image search: [Google]
1479532512957.jpg
88KB, 461x334px
>>18211538
If you have to ask, then it isn't for you.

I'm sorry to have to say that, but it isn't a joke when people rag on English degrees, or anything related to the liberal arts. They do that because there really aren't too many jobs in this field; it's shaky here. If you're going to contemplate on taking the risk, you need to have a solid plan from the start.

>>18211557
I'm not sure if you're really asking me, but I'm not hopeless in math. If I put in the extended effort, then I could succeed as do my friends in their math major-oriented classes. It's just that I don't see a point in doing any mathematics past the levels of algebra and statistics in my field. It would just be a distraction from what I'm really here for. I'm mostly referring to calculus, by the way.

Is it possible to go through college without touching calculus at all? I don't want anything to do with that shit after seeing what happened to my friend: he passed the AP and Cambridge calc BC tests in high school with flying colors, but as soon as he took his first uni-level calc class, he failed and ditched his major altogether.
>>
>>18211589
>Is it possible to go through college without touching calculus at all? I don't want anything to do with that shit after seeing what happened to my friend: he passed the AP and Cambridge calc BC tests in high school with flying colors, but as soon as he took his first uni-level calc class, he failed and ditched his major altogether.

I guarantee you that if you have strong skills in algebra then calc 1 would be a piece of cake. If you struggle with calculus then your algebra is not strong whatsoever. The weed out class for who has strong algebra skills is calc 2. Calc 1 is even doable with fairly weak algebra skills.

>f I put in the extended effort, then I could succeed as do my friends in their math major-oriented classes

Idk if you're op or not, but what field are you in, and why do you choose it if you dont think the foundations it lies upon as important?
>>
>>18211563
>>18211557

For perspective, if you have a properly rigorous math course and you are solid with all pre-requisites then you ought to spend AT LEAST 10 hours a week on class, homework, and studying.

If you are lacking in previous knowledge then it can require as much as 20 hours a week.

If other upper division courses dont require at least 10-20 hours a week in work between studying. class and homework, then i would be concerned about the quality of your school.
>>
>>18211542
There are enough stipulations in place to at least weed out a decent amount of students (GPA/hour requirement, have to stay in NYS for 2 years after graduating). That being said, it's nice to see those in my income bracket (above the poverty line, wayyy below the rich line) be able to catch a break for themselves and their families for once.
>>
>>18211557
>>18211563

OP here,

The last math class I took was Algebra and made a B.

I spend about 10 hours doing homework for Micro because it takes me around 20-30 minutes to "figure out" a problem or give up on it.

I spend usually around 4 hours per chapter studying. I tried tutoring and it's a waste of their time. I don't get it the same way I don't understand when the teacher says it. Repetition doesn't help me. I've tried doing practice questions over and over for the same types of problems and it just doesn't sink in.

My teacher is online for this course so he doesn't have office hours. He'll email back and forth with me, but that doesn't help.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.