[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey guys, I'm worried for my little brother. The guy drinks

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: maxresdefault.jpg (107KB, 1000x822px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
107KB, 1000x822px
Hey guys,

I'm worried for my little brother. The guy drinks way too much Coca-Cola every day. I tried to tell him that it's literally poison, and he'll suffer from all sorts of health issues later on in his life. But he's not having it.

The minute I try to talk about it with him he immediately responds by saying, well you drink beer, and alcohol is poison too. I tried to tell him that'll I'll quit drinking beer, if he quits drinking Cola. But he said 'that's not the point'. Now I'm not sure what 'the point' is...

I'm also pretty sure that drinking this much Cola has fucked up his tastebuds. As he doesn't really like any kind of food. Unless it's sweet. Have any of you guys been in a similar situation?

Any kind of advice is much appreciated, I am honestly clueless on what I should do. He drinks at least 1.5L per day...
>>
It's just sugar.
>>
You probably shouldn't act this preachy. I understand it's coming from the right place, but you started sounding like an annoyance to your brother and that probably has damaged your relationship a bit.

Most people don't react well to being preached to, especially if 1) it demonizes something they enjoy and 2) they percieve the other person to be an hypocrite, and you crossed both boxes with this.

You cannot make your brother stop drinking cola, it's just not happening. If he ever wants to, he will, but in the meantime you shouldn't nag at him about it because it'll accomplish literally nothing.

You also didn't talk about any symptoms he might show. What specifically are you worried about, and why do you think you have cause to worry ? Depending on his age its perfectly normal to only care about sweet things.
>>
>>18208745
There's about 30 grams of sugar in a 0.33l can. So roughly 10 grams per 100ml. Meaning there's about 150 grams of sugar in a 1.5L bottle. I know it's just sugar. But an unhealthy amount of it.
>>18208747
He's 23... I reckon I phrased it wrong. I didn't bluntly tell him. Stop drinking the poison juice. I just told him I was concerned a bit about how much of it he drinks every day. And that diabetes isn't a fun thing to have.

I'm worried about his health. Diabetes, risk of heart disease, getting properly overweight. I fear that it'll be too late when he figures it out himself. And I always stop when I get the feeling that he's like yeah whatever bro. And then tell him it's his life, but I'm just concerned.
>>
You're speaking in terms of yourself. You have to see the world through his eyes and explain it to him in a way that reflects on what's important to him, not you.

Let's, for the sake of example, say your brother likes girls...

You can explain health issues all day and it'll just run off of him like rainwater on an umbrella. Now if you explain that it causes bad acne, and girls don't like guys with bad acne, then you'll be amazed by how fast he stops.

Don't overthink the example. You know your brother better than we do. Just speak in terms of what's important to HIM.

Or if all else fails, you can do like Obama and just use violence.

>>18208745
hfcs
>>
>>18208754
Well got any pointers for me? He likes videogames and history. That's about it. Oh and smoking weed.
>>
Tell him to drink diet or zero instead
>>
>>18208758
Tell him none of the cool historic people from the 18th century or before were dumb enough to drink Coca Cola
>>
>>18208737
You seem like a good brother OP, as for your issue well, I would think it a good idea for you to quit beer first and then have him quit coca cola - lead by example ya know? Despite not doing so anymore for reasons I won't mention, I used to look up to my own older brother and think that provided you nd him are decently close, he may see what you are doing and it could help him quit himself.

Also, my older brother used to drink way too much soda and he ended up getting diabetes - most likely from that but who knows - so you could always try to tell him that he may need to do thinks like use a needle to inject insulin many times a day, or how eating things will require much more thought and planning to go into it, or how loss of limb is possible if not taken care of. And how all of this is currently treatable, but not curable. And even then,, the treatablity depends on what type of diabetes it is.
>>
>>18208785
Well the thing is. I drink a few beers at a pub. On Fridays and sometimes Saturdays. After a long week of work. He currentý is what people would call a NEET. But I am gonna lay off the beer, see if it helps.

Thanks for all the solid pointers everyone.
>>
>>18208801
Good luck, if all else fails you'll just have to try to scare him into quitting by showing him how badly a habit like that can fuck up your life. He may not listen, but if there is any chance then I say go for it, better than his life going to shit over this.
>>
>>18208737
oh man, I come adicted to the coca-cola in the past year, sometimes feel that I need drink Coca Cola, sweet and cold Coca Cola
>>
>>18208811
Well that's because both sugar, and caffeine work highly addictive. Good like with the adiction Anon.
>>
>>18208737
Write him off. He's dead to you.
>>
>>18208818
Nah bruah. I love my baby bro. I consider us close friends, as well as brothers.
>>
No ages supplied so not sure if helpful, but get your parents to stop buying it for him, or to at least buy him less. Shit's addictive (you get actual withdrawal symptoms if you stop) to some people so getting him to cut back would be better than nothing. Even 1 can/day is better than what he's doing now.
>>
>>18208754
>hfcs
>burgercucks
>>18208747
Make him switch to diet/zero. Problem solved. Saves calories, etc.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.