[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey advice. A close friend of mine is currently my roommate in

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: 1488654182777.jpg (10KB, 281x211px) Image search: [Google]
1488654182777.jpg
10KB, 281x211px
Hey advice. A close friend of mine is currently my roommate in a house I purchased. He has a long distance girlfriend that resides in another state some 12 hours away. She lived with us in our apartment for 6 months or so previously and it wasn't the best. She is now wanting to move down permanently and bring her dog, 2 cats, and birds with her.

We both share the sentiment that we don't want a cat here and we don't want the place to smell like a zoo. He is also allergic to cat dander. She says she will declaw the cats and wash them every week to make sure they don't bother him. (I have put hardwood floors downstairs so she said she would declaw them for that reason.)

Now he can't or won't convince her to leave the cats at her parents because she loves them to much. I also truly don't believe that she will actually take care of the cats every week like she says because my past experience with her is that she was lazy. She cannot work due to migraine problems so she is going to live off of 800 a month from the government and split the rent with my roommate. Apparently she is going to do all the housework since she won't work. I don't believe that either because she didn't do it ever in the 6 months she lived here prior.

Now recently my roommate went back to school and is making significantly less since he had to go part time. He can barely afford everything as is and I only charge him 500 a month everything included and now he is trying to have her live here. I am starting to feel as though I'm being taken advantage of for my kindness. This is one of my best friends and I don't need his rent money as I can afford the place on my own. Everyone I've spoken to thinks this is a terrible idea and the more I think of it I do too. We didn't all get along as smoothly as when it's just me and him when she was there there are more problems seemingly.

Do you have any experience with something similar advice?
>>
>>18206809
You own half the apartment. You can put your foot down if you want, because if you don't agree to it, those animals don't get into the public spaces, and I doubt your roomate wants to keep two cats and a dog in his room all the time.

This is why you should always have a roommate contract.
>>
>>18206819
It's a house that I own.
>>
>>18206809
Don't let her come. He moves out, if he can't deal with it. You gotta come against friends sometimes. I hope it goes well.
>>
>>18206822
Oh. You own the house, he's just entitled to the room he rents so long as he doesn't violate his lease. You can put your foot down if you want, because if you don't agree to it, those animals don't get into the public spaces, and I doubt your roomate wants to keep two cats and a dog in his room all the time.

This is why you should always have a roommate contract.
>>
It's your fucking house. Set your damn rules. No pets. No exceptions. Tell them if they want to have pets, move out and get a place they can share together.

As for her living there. Do you think you want her as a 3rd roommate? If not, just say you don't want her. 6 months together, you should know by now. Again, it's your house. Your friend needs to know how you feel so he can decide if he should move out and get a place they can share. He won't be offended if he's a real friend, and besides $1300/mo should be plenty to live off for the 2 of them if they really want it.
>>
They've only been dating for about a year and a half. I asked what happens if you break up and he had no good answer and I asked if he plans on marrying her and STILL no good answer.

Honestly if she just brought the dog (which I'm okay with) and actually cleaned the house and did shit other than play video games etc I'd probably be okay with it.

Not the best situation but I'd get used to it.
>>
He has a blind eye to her when she does certain things, but if I did that he would say something. That bothers me a lot. But it is his girlfriend so I understand, but it doesn't make it any less frustrating
>>
Just coming in here to say that declawing is a really fucking terrible procedure. It honestly should be banned or only used as an absolute last resort.

OP, you gotta talk this out with your roommate. Maybe give him a temporary reduction in rent for a while, so he won't be so desperate for the extra money. But if you're really concerned about the house and about how it will be living with someone new, you gotta voice that. Take it from me, if you don't like her now, living with her is probably gonna make it a lot worse.
>>
cat's don't hurt hardwood floors. Other than the smell you're fine unless you have bad luck and they decide to claw furniture. that smell though
>>
>>18206925
>Just coming in here to say that declawing is a really fucking terrible procedure. It honestly should be banned or only used as an absolute last resort.
Why's that? Never had indoor cats. Just really painful, or you don't approve of cutting into their mobility, or what?
>>
>>18206925
Also if she can pay for the declawing procedure, she can make a down payment for an apartment.
>>
>>18206938
It's painful and does affect their mobility. Cats are digitigrade, which means walk on their toes and fingertips. And the claws rest inside of the bones of the end of the finger. In order to declaw you have to remove part of or the entire bone. It's equivalent to cutting off a human's toes. Sure they can walk on the rest of the foot but the foot is not designed for that and it messes up mobility and balance.
>>
>>18206952
Alright, makes sense.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.