[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have freelance work and I'm struggling to get it done.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: 0BzzBcR.gif (1MB, 500x280px) Image search: [Google]
0BzzBcR.gif
1MB, 500x280px
I have freelance work and I'm struggling to get it done. I postpone even sitting at my computer for as long as possible each day and when I do I just stare at the problem for far too long, struggling to wrap my head around it. I then eventually make a tiny bit of progress and go to sleep far too late.

It's not a terribly difficult project- I've completed much more difficult tasks- but it's enough that I have to properly understand and grasp it instead of being able to zone out and follow rote steps. As far as I know I don't have depression and aren't malnourished or anything else real/physical. I have a crazy sleep schedule, but I've always had that and it hasn't usually nattered.

I've tried simple tricks like pomodoro, setting mini deadlines, tracking time and pretending my client will see it, etc. It doesn't work. When the client asks for status updates I just tell him it's going fine, can't provide a working version yet because reasons, blah blah blah. I'm good at handwaving it, he believes me, he trusts me, and I feel like the piece of shit I am for shirking my responsibilities.

It's due in a few days. I can still get it done if I fucking focus and put in a few long days of real productivity. I can feel panic slowly creeping up on me. How do I make myself focus and get this fucking thing done? And more generally how do I avoid feeling like this, because it isn't going to go away after this particular project.
>>
>>18202561
>How do I make myself focus and get this fucking thing done?
what the fuck are you even doing?
>>
>>18202793
I didn't include the actual task because it's not relevant. I know how to do the task, my issue is with concentrating on it.
>>
I have an 8 page paper due tonight, should be doable but im sitting here like an asshole on the 3rd day of procrastination. I hate myself.
>>
>>18202833
>I didn't make my thread interesting or engaging because it's not relevant
Congrats on making a dead thread.
>>
>>18202561
I can't help you, the only way I can work is on the last night, or if it's an exam.
>>
>>18202841
only 8 pages?
I can get that shit done in an hour.
>>
>>18202924
The writing is easy, but the research takes fucking forever. I really have a hard time imagining you can write 8 pages about a topic you know nothing about in an hour, the assignment isnt to make a fictional story.
>>
>>18202941
but that's an hour, you said you had 3 fucking days to do the research

the writing is the easy part, the research seems to be your real problem
>>
Discipline OP. Consider this: people will not do what they do not want to do. Discipline is doing that thing anyway. You don't have an issue if focus it is an issue of desire. You don't care about the project, you don't care about the client. It's not interesting or instantly gratifying you so you aren't doing it. Sheer willpower and discipline are the only things that will get you through, maybe a friend or rival to keep you motivated or interested as well. But until you have a reason to truly care about the task your only going to put forth your most mediocre work, at best.
>>
>>18202561
Get a laptop, get out of your home and look for some comfortable place that sells coffee and don't ask the wifi password
Working at home it's hard because you are always at home. You cook at home, you sleep at home , you watch TV at home, etc it's too distracting
Most people who work from home have a room designated to working
>>
>>18202941
Instead of making the 8 pages try to make 4 and then ask for an extension on the deadline, show your 4 pagesif they ask you if you haven't started yet
>>
>>18202847
Fair point.

>>18203292
I guess deep down I know that I just need to force myself to do it. But it's surprisingly difficult. I didn't previously consider myself undisciplined but this pretty much proves that I am.

>>18203314
I'll consider this for the future. I still need to get this immediate task done, and I don't have any laptop suitable for it.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.