[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are you a bad parent if you say "no" to social

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: michellemiller04.jpg (17KB, 270x202px) Image search: [Google]
michellemiller04.jpg
17KB, 270x202px
Are you a bad parent if you say "no" to social media for your kids?
>>
>>18202529

depends on the definition of 'bad' but i dont see why it would. it'd be annoying for them for sure, but as long as they have a cell phone they can still keep in touch with everyone.

unfortunately if they have a cell phone or private computer they are going to be social mediaing without you knowing.

if i were you id allow them to use facebook, but none of the others. snapchat is just for nudes, lets be real, twitter is unnecessary, instagram is just for semi nudes.

facebook is clean enough that they wont get into too much trouble there, and you can add them and see waht they're up to with ease.
>>
>>18202529
No
>>
Til a certain age they shouldn't have a smart phone or social media. Guess it depends on the kid. I feel it encourages unhealthy perceptions of social value and a focus on less meaningful interactions.
>>
>>18202529

It depends on their age and the level of maturity they're willing to show in using it/letting you have access to look at it. Elementary school students probably don't need social media. But around middle school, and especially into high school, I think it's one of those things you have to give in to for a multitude of reasons.

A) You don't want your kid to become an outcast. I hate to be the "if everyone else is doing it" kind of person, but if their entire class has social media and they're getting ostracized from things or not invited to social events or something because of it, don't hamstring your kids from what is ultimately a very valent communication tool. Sit with your kids and talk about WHY they want social media - if it's to follow and retweet the Kardashians all day, they can probably wait. Make the kids come up with use cases and explain it out.

B) Social media is ubiquitous in society. It's not going away any time soon. Some people, like myself, make their money using social media/online platforms. Exposing them to the kind of tech that is going to shape the world and future industry from a young age is not a bad thing. If my parents had restricted my computer time, who the fuck knows what I'd be doing for a living, but I got out of retail management and into my career all because I was a mod on IGN back when I was 15. Spending time on an internet forum was more important to my career than my degree.
>>
>>18202529
Absolutely not.

Ideally, internet apart from research/homework should be heavily restricted until ~16

Free time should be spent on outdoor recreation.

Though I don't have kids, I did personally waste away thousands of hours online doing meaningless bullshit in my teen years.
>>
>having to ask your parents permission for social media

y tho
>>
>>18202529
Depends on how old they are. I very agree with this post - >>18202553

I wouldn't let them be on snapchat at 14, but facebook at that age in my opinion is fine.
Just make sure they know what they're doing and you know what they're doing online.
>>
not bad, just misguided
>>
Someone take twitter away from trump

Nothing can save people from their own stupidity, adults are as cringey online. I'd let them grow tired of it by themselves and watch the cycle of repeat itself.
>>
>>18202623
it's him manipulating the public not trying to be cool

not that popular vote wins anything but in some...theoretical respect it was a close call. maybe the social media aspect of his campaign won the election. you don't know.
>>
>>18202529
It's best to reward them with it. Use it as an incentive and make sure they understand it's a privilege. Assuming your child isn't a dipshit, why treat them with the assumption that a fuck up is just around for them? It'll just make them feel like you don't trust them and then they'll probably end up going behind your back anyways. On the other end though, stick woth punishments if they arr acting out of line.
>>
>>18202529
Absolutely not.
I wish my parents did it, id be normal now.
I'm not being edgy but I've gone on obscure internet corners as a kid and game chats made into what I am, it's just fucked.
Let your kid use it later, all 16-17 year old normies have an account, that's an ok age
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.