[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Im trying to get into coding as I've heard about how much

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: Baloney_King.jpg (57KB, 645x750px) Image search: [Google]
Baloney_King.jpg
57KB, 645x750px
Im trying to get into coding as I've heard about how much it helps if I were to build a career around it. I'll be honest I don't know jack shit, all I have heard about is java and python. Any good online courses out there?
>>
depends what you want to code

if ya wanna make aesthetically pleasing websites you might use codecademy for a quick rundown on syntaxes and some uses, and learn theory from udacity.

also there are plenty of helping books, but usually you're gonna be learning from one question to another esp when you're doing a project
>>
>>18202223
>>>g/dpt/
>>
Start somewhere. Eventually you'll have an idea of a simple program of something you want to make (budget program, calculator, image resizer, etc) for your first project. Then just start doing as much as you can, googling for things you don't know, checking out sites like StackOverflow, and eventually you will have created your program.

I dunno dude, the resources are all out there, what do you want us to tell you? You already know how to start, you don't need to make a post on 4chan to know this.
>>
I suggest you check out Harvard's CS50 course. You can find it on edx.org
It's a crash course that will give you some of the basic computer science principles. It will take you through a bunch of languages (C, PHP, JavaScript, html, CSS) but you won't really learn any of them properly, just some of the underlying principles behind them. The lectures are pretty cringey at times since it's aimed at teenagers and young adults, but it's very well done and it helps you learn a lot of stuff in a short time.

After that you should decide what language you want to learn first. If you're looking for something marketable Java and C++ are the biggest ones (at least if you want to go into software dev) and you're most likely to find entry level jobs with these. If you want to go into web development you should focus on html, css and JavaScript. If you chose java I recommend a book, "Introduction to Programming Using Java" by David J. Eck (version 7 or above, if theres anything newer). It's aimed at complete beginners and it covers pretty much everything you need to know to be able to write software in Java.
>>
>>18202321
Just started the course thanks
What language would I focus onfor site designing?
>>
>>18202694
html, css, javascript, SQL. Maybe php
May sound like a lot, but html, css and SQL are not really programming languages, they're a lot simpler to learn and use than, say java. Basically you use html and css to design the appearance of the site and then use a programming language like php or javascript to add functionality to the site. SQL is for dealing with the databases where you'll store information used on the site like user accounts and such.

Don't worry about it for now, you will get to it later in that course, you'll have to create a website and all.
>>
>>18202837
Cool thanks
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.