[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it at all possible to pursue a career in animation when you're

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (49KB, 580x290px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
49KB, 580x290px
Is it at all possible to pursue a career in animation when you're starting from nothing at age 30? Will I be unable to compete with 22 year old kids? Can an old dog learn new tricks?

I have a decent life as a repair technician but I'm starting to regret that I didn't puck a career where I can create something to leave behind.
>>
>>18201044

assuming you go to get the same education as everyone else, yeah, its fine.

actually knowing how to animate in america isn't really necessary anymore though, most shows just happen to get made by people who went to animation school simply because thats where the passion is, but a lot of writers who can't make it in live action often find themselves doing animated stuff as well. as of late animation is become more of an 'artists' sort of thing so they do tend to hire more legit animation majors.

depends what you want to do ultimately. animation training is the best way regardless, but certainly not necessary. in america no animation actually gets done though, we tend to do the storyboards and maybe the 'key frames' but the actual animation is all done overseas unless its 3D (and even thats going to change soon im sure).

honest truth here: you will have better success creating animated shorts on your own than you will going into the field of animation. theres like less than a thousand animation jobs in american TV. and most of them will allow for no actual animating. the best position would be a writer or storyboarder, everything else is just kinda like... drawing props or redrafting.

depends what oyu REALLY want out of the process.

source: animated web series.
>>
>>18201069

Thanks, both for the encouragment and the warning.

I think I'll go back to school and puruse art, maybe for a commercial job as the end goal but to further my skills for animation. I can always fall back to fixing shit if I fail.
>>
>>18201076

if thats the case, my advice would be to invest first in some basic animation software and hardware, and try to create an animated short.

most of the basics of animation can be easily self taught / looked up online. im not saying create anything rmeotely in quality to what oyu see on TV.

but more like a 90s anime or 80s american cartoon, something thats mostly stills with lip movements, a little motion here and there but nothing on going.

its a good way to train your self, realize what part of production you actually like, and most importantly, whether or not you want to sink money into an animation degree.
>>
>>18201090

I'll do that. I first got interested in the idea of doing animation through working on a game that never went anywhere, but I certainly haven't tried to make something start to finish. I'm just amazed with some of the thibgs that can be done with it, and while I inow I'll never be able to make a feature film or anything, I'd like to get something worthwhile out there.
>>
File: example.png (1MB, 720x1906px) Image search: [Google]
example.png
1MB, 720x1906px
>>18201121

then shorts are probably your best bet, especially if you're willing to use TRS animation you can get a LOT done.

here is what i recommend you do to start

write out a simple scene, no more than two pages. Then, story board that scene. every shot should have only 3 or 4 frames. The first frame is them talking in one pose, than the second and third frame is them adjusting to a new pose. than the final frame is them talking in that new pose. pic related is what im talking about. it may not be a perfect example but i hope it helps.

then you just scan your drawing in with any computer scanner, insert them on any basic editor, follow the tutorials, you'll see, and see how it looks.
>>
>>18201044

Are you related to the Blanchette's?
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.