[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My girlfriend of about a year now decided to go to grad school

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_0996.jpg (98KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0996.jpg
98KB, 540x960px
My girlfriend of about a year now decided to go to grad school in Oregon, while I'll be taking a job in Arizona.

Does long distance ever work? I love this girl. The relationship seems different from every other one I've ever had. Would breaking up be less painful then doing long distance? Neither of us want to break up. Any input would be appreciated.
>>
>Does long distance ever work?
What does "work" mean to you? Regardless, the answer is probably no.

Congratulations, you're drifting apart. "Happily ever after" is Disney-tier.
>>
>>18199719
It'd only work out if you can reliably meet up somewhat often (one a month or so) and that still requires strength of will on both parties and that's not gonna work long term either.
>>
>>18199719
>crazy idea coming in
Why not move there together? She will have to pay rent anyway. Get a job there and stay together. If you really love each other, getting another job sounds like reasonable struggle to overcome.

Otherwise break up. LDR for about ~4 years sounds like psychological torture for me.
>>
File: mfw.jpg (31KB, 700x487px) Image search: [Google]
mfw.jpg
31KB, 700x487px
>>18199719
It can work if you're willing to put in the effort to make it work.

>>18199738
>tfw LDR for nearly 6 years now
>>
I'd say try and make it work, the worst that happens is that it doesn't and you go your separate ways.

From personal experience I have been in two long distance relationship, one actually worked out to the point where I moved to her state to live with her, but while living together things fell apart and we ended up breaking up. The other was all long distance and it was hard to say the least. We ended up breaking up from a combo of the long distance and us just losing the connection we once had.
>>
>>18199719

like the other guy said, you gotta define what you mean by 'work'.

grad school is what, two years? and presumably she'd be living with you in the summers? so you'd be apart for 9 months at a time, and no holidays dont count cuz thats just a visit, were tlaking actual relationship building.

the thing people dont tell you about long distance is that its not really a relationship. all you're doing is putting your relationship on pause. imagine for am inute if you wanted to eat some spaghetti, and you bought some delicious spaghetti, but you had to wait 3 days to eat it.

now you still might want spaghetti. but likely you will have changed, not because the spaghetti did anything wrong, but rather becuase without access to the spaghetti you just got over wanting it and are ismply tired of waiting for spaghetti and would rather just eat something, and you keep seeing all these chicken alfredo dishes over the course of three days and start thinking 'id really like chicken alfredo'.

another thing they don't tell you is that the rest of your life ISNT on pause. which means that while you are insisting that you are going to want to move in still in 2 years, you are going to be going through many many many many many experiences that will change what you want.

in two years she will be saying 'wow ive created this entirely different life for myself, but i promised some guy two years ago that we'd be together now'.

imagine if you will that you tried choosing hwree you want to live 3 years in advance. and in that time you began to love the place you live, or evne considered moving somewhere else. but you are stuck in an arbitrary commitment becuase 3 years ago, that apartment seemedl ike a nice apartment.

its just not a very logical decision to make, pausing your life for 2 years and expecting oyu to want the same thigns at the end of it.
>>
>>18199832

no, the worst that happens is you spend two years of your life not actually living your life, and then you get together and realize that you've both changed so much that being together is like randomly deciding to marry some casual friend you knew 3 years ago.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.