[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I fucked up /adv/ I just won a short story competition intended

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: kennedytoole.jpg (153KB, 500x715px) Image search: [Google]
kennedytoole.jpg
153KB, 500x715px
I fucked up /adv/

I just won a short story competition intended for young writers in my state.

The rules say you have to be under 30 and also either living / studying in the state, or have your main home in the state and be studying or "on contract" outside of it.

The thing is I was born in that state, lived there for 18 years, all my family live there, my parents' house is there, but I have lived in New York for the past three years since graduating.

Am I fucked?

I already have my name and stuff on the website, it's going to be embarrassing if they have to announce I've been kicked out, it'll hurt my chances of being published in the future too. What the fuck do I do? Do I move back (there's barely any work)? Do I lie? Do I tell them now and withdraw?

There's another guy who won second place a few years back and he has lived in Mexico for years. I'm not sure how he he was allowed to win, but most people who win it or are shortlisted etc are living in the state still. Obviously I can't ask how he was allowed to win.

I'm freaking out.
>>
Dude, you gotta chill out. Just go with the flow. More than likely, they won't even care. Worst comes to worst, you don't win. It won't affect your chances of being published at all. Just take it one day at a time
>>
>>18197958
This
Neuroticism is good for writing but not for life choices
>>
>>18197958
It 100% will.

There is a publishing house who are working with the competition organizers, and it is a publishing house I would like to be published by. But if I humiliate myself like this they will blacklist me. There is a sort of anti-New York bias with many people from my state, and I know that I am likely to be dismissed as a sell-out and a sinister person for even entering the competition.

The thing is, the competition was advertised with the following headline:

"Under 30 And From [State] Or Living In [State]? Enter This Competition...."

But the actual submission page includes the other two rules, which would in effect I think bar me from entering.
>>
Meh, just tell them that your parents' house is your permanent residence and that your current living situation is temporary! Have you changed your driver's license? Where do you pay taxes?
>>
>>18198200
>>18198200
But I've been in New York for three years and honestly it'll be hard to return home since there are very few job for someone with my academic background unless I study to become a teacher etc.
>>
>>18198207
>Just tell them that your parents' house is your permanent residence and that your current living situation is temporary
this. Stop worrying OP. You won the competition, bravo. You lived 18 FUCKING YEARS in that state. They're not going to sweat over the minor details. You're fine, OP.
>>
>>18197949
>There's another guy who won second place a few years back and he has lived in Mexico for years
Plus there is a precedent. Relax OP !
>>
>>18198247
Yes but he came in SECOND and as far as I know he may have a house in the state and be "ON CONTRACT" in Mexico.

I think it's only right that I email the organizer and explain my anxiety. She is a nice person, an older woman, who seems to like me.
>>
Why the fuck would you need to move back to accept an award? Do you think they're gonna send a forensic team out to your parents house to make sure you live there?

LIE TO THEM.
>>
>>18198251
I CAN'T LIE

I don't like lying. And I plan on making a career out of my writing, and plus I WILL be interviewed by a newspaper who will insist on details about my life (where I live, where I work / study, etc).

I will simply have to admit my fears to the organizer and suffer the consequences.
>>
>>18198250
>>18198251
You don't even need to lie to them.
>I think it's only right that I email the organizer and explain my anxiety.
If you feel like that's the right thing to do, do it.
But OP - relax. You aren't in a bad situation at all. And you have principles, I admire that - but you're too stressed by what is but a minor setback. Good luck.
>>
>>18198258
Minor setback?

This could ruin my plans for the start of my writing career.

There is already a publishing house who are printing my story in a collection to be sold after the ceremony. If they have to recall those copies I will be fucked. I may even have to pay for them myself if they threaten me with legal trouble if I don't pay.
>>
>>18198264
>This could ruin my plans for the start of my writing career.
No, it won't. Guaranteed. 100%.
You have the talent to win that competition. Even if you don't win this one in the end, you have the talent to win many others.
IT WILL BE PUBLISHED. They aren't going to cancel the printing because of this.
Stop worrying. Just calm down, drink a glass of water, call the lady, and report back when you have your answer.
>>
You're such a pussy holy shit, your books are going to be boring as shit lol

I guess the anti-hunter s Thompson might have a fan base, good luck
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.