[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can someone walk me through the AA/AS degree, and transfers from

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: 1488231251901.jpg (75KB, 945x631px)
1488231251901.jpg
75KB, 945x631px
Can someone walk me through the AA/AS degree, and transfers from a community college to a university?

I'm already a sophomore, I'm trying to finish two years in a commmunity college before transferring to a

university for Electrical Engineering, but I have no idea if my credits will count or my credits, if any,

will transfer and be applicable towards a BS

My CC seems to have some programs that are specifically geared towards some degreesin specific schools,

but none that apply for EE. I was given two numbers for advisors, both in STEM programs, so I will

probably set up a meeting with them, but I want to know how other people did it, what am I missing here.

/sci/ keeps mentioning CC as a economical way to get the first years done, and I agree, but it seems like

a mess to transfer, and I'm starting to consider starting over from scratch and sending applications to

universities and cut off my losses, if it turns out my credits are not going to be relevant and I caught

myself in a sunk cost fallacy
>>
>>18196827
At the CC level you can basically just take prerequisite courses like your math and physics, maybe they'll have some classes on circuits or something, too. For anything more or less exclusive to EE or engineering in general, you'll need to transfer to a uni to take them.

But that's the whole point of CC. Get those classes you can take anywhere out of the way at a fraction of the cost, so you can focus just on your major at uni.
>>
First, what caliber of college are you looking at? If you're looking at a school of the caliber where I'm an undergrad, you are pretty much screwed if you're banking on the CC -> transfer meme. Certain large public flagships however, have 'feeder' CCs that make it very easy to transfer, provided you do well. You usually join some sort of honor program, maintain a good GPA and you are guaranteed a slot at the flagship. If you do that, CC will help to get your bullshit general ed out of the way to save you tens of thousands of dollars.
>>
You can enter your courses on transferology and check which of the credits will transfer to the university. Check their website for their course list and see which ones you need before spending even more money.

You send your application and transcripts to the university and they tell you in a matter of weeks whether you're in or not. You go to orientation for a day or two and pick your classes for the following semester.
>>
File: 1491049697084.jpg (37KB, 600x364px) Image search: [Google]
1491049697084.jpg
37KB, 600x364px
>>18196860
>If you're looking at a school of the caliber where I'm an undergrad, you are pretty much screwed if you're banking on the CC -> transfer meme.
Could you elaborate? Do you mean Ivy schools, specifically?

As for caliber, I'm not entirely picky, considering University of Florida or South Florida for in-state, University of Texas in Austin out of state.

If you meant Georgia Inst of Technology, U of Washington, Brown U, or U of South Cali, then, I had a feeling I won't make it there, but still added them to fasfa, for the sake of adding them

>Certain large public flagships however, have 'feeder' CCs that make it very easy to transfer
Correct, my CC is just that, I just need to talk to the transfer advisor for STEM to see what schools have that for EE. But that's the idea, and the closest option available, I'm already enrolled in such a CC

>>18196850
>basically just take prerequisite courses like your math and physics, maybe they'll have some classes on circuits or something
That's what's troubling to me. The courses I saw with the counselor were Calc, Differential Math, Physics I etc real broad titles for "basic" courses, and I'm scared to death that the university will look at those courses and decide "Nnnnnoooooo, that's nice but we'll only accept OUR Calc I, Multivariable Calculus, etc courses" or they'll be picky and only take into account few courses/credit hours and trash the rest. This could all be my imagination, hence the /adv/ thread, I'm lost

>>18196870
>You can enter your courses on transferology
Gonna check this right now

I'm gonna speak to an advisor and hear them out, as I'm sure they get asked this all day everyday, but thank you all so far with your responses
>>
The best thing to do is to contact the unis you are applying to and ask if they have some sort of equivalent credit transfer course list.
Never rely too much on your CC's advisors; sometimes they're not up to date.
I ended up taking two classes I didn't need for my major that didn't even transfer after consulting my assigned one because she used an old recommended courses list.
>>
>>18196983
Not either of those but I'm a fellow Florida fag so I have a bit of experience.

First of all, you need to check out how well accredited the community college is: im currently in the process of transferring over as well.

Essentially the better CC like mine have an agreement with the public unis in Florida that if you get an AA you're guaranteed transfer into one of the public unis.

Don't get an AS, that is for working directly in the field and is not transferable. I don't recommend out of state due to compatibility issues and out of state unis cost 3x as much.

Any other questions I'll try and answer as best I can.
>>
>>18196983
When I mentioned myself, I meant Ivy, but any highly selective private in general has very slim pickings for transfer students. If you REALLy want to, Brown, Cornell and UPenn have doable transfer rates...
As for the others, well you're shit out of luck
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.