[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it worth to return to school if I'm 27 yo? I already

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: college.jpg (642KB, 1833x1638px) Image search: [Google]
college.jpg
642KB, 1833x1638px
Is it worth to return to school if I'm 27 yo?

I already have a degree in economics but after I got a job I realized that I don't want to do this for the rest of my life. I always loved computers and have some knowledge about programing. I was thinking to return school and get degree in IT, because if I want to apply to some IT job I'm not sure if someone is going to call me when they see i have degree in economics.

My other plan is to learn programing alone, one part of my job is to edit company's web site. Should I try to learn how to make web sites alone( I already started ), and then try to do something with that, I'll have experience and If i want to change job I can show people what I made, or is better choice to return to school, I would probably learn more there then alone?
>>
Second option is better and 100% possible
>>
For web development, I'd consider a bootcamp program over returning to college.

They're mostly a rip off, but less of a rip off than most colleges.
>>
>>18194477
There are few places that offer training for web development, programing, but they can be more expensive than schools in my country. I finished course for system administrator in one of them few years ago and it was awful, some guy literally read us from book every class, I had troubles staying awake.
>>18194470
It would be a lot easier for me to learn at home because of my job I probably couldn't go to classes.. My only concern is if I can get a job as self-taught.
>>
>>18194517
>My only concern is if I can get a job as self-taught.
My boyfriend landed a job as an analyst teaching himself coding. The trick is to actually learn it, not half-ass it.
>>
>>18194521
I'm trying, I have bunch of tutorials and books, hope that's enough.
>>
You can study on your own and then get certs and that looks even better than a degree sometimes.
>>
>>18194603
Should I try to get them online or in some place in my country that have them? There is one by W3Schools, it costs around 100$, don't know if its worth it.

I heard about some google certificates that are supposed to be good.
>>
>>18194465
went back to do pre req courses at the CC for my second degree at 30. shits easier this time around since im actually more focused and not fucking around with my dick
>>
>>18194465

Op, I returned to school when I was 27 to get a master degree in programming, am currently 31 and have one year to go to finish it. It helped me massively finding paid internships and freelance work on the side.

The general idea you need to ask yourself is this : do you want to be an actual computer engineer, or is being a self-taught web programmer good enough for you ?

First option is impossible unless you actually go through the steps, suck it up and go to college. It's what I wanted, so it's what I did.

Second option however, don't go to college for that, there are plenty of much simpler, shorter and cheaper alternative. For this alternative, it's entirely possible to be self taught, and what you should work on instead of going to college is a portfolio of websites that showcase your abilities (if you don't have said abilities yet, find ways to acquire them, teaching yourself basic level programming from web resources is extremely simple). Once you'll have that, you can leverage it into an application to the kind of startup that looks for the kind of profile you have.
>>
>>18194624

Those kind of certificates only validates knowledge of a tool, only pass them if you have a very specific technology / service in mind.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.