[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm not very witty, or a "fast thinker". I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_0243.jpg (60KB, 682x682px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0243.jpg
60KB, 682x682px
I'm not very witty, or a "fast thinker". I'm fairly articulate in writing, and usually do well on papers for class. But when it comes to actually speaking to other people, my mind just seems to go blank and I end up stumbling over my own words and mumbling, even if I've thought about what I wanted to say beforehand. As such, I'm not very witty either, nor do I have good comedic sense/the ability to make people laugh. How do I change this?
>>
Intelligence and wit present themselves in different forms in different people. There is no one-dimensional way to measure it.

I am also a slow thinker. I used to worry about the fact that I couldn't keep up as quickly when information is presented in quick succession, and I used to worry about the fact that I couldn't daze and amaze by regurgitating said information just as quickly. I eventually came to realize, however, that I do have an above average ability for "deep thinking." Where I probably cannot give you an articulate and down-to-earth description of my research, for example, I can give you a fifty-page thesis on a topic, its biggest problems, and new approaches to solving those problems without much effort. With a little more effort, I can give nice illustrations of how my work relates and can be applied to the real world.

Perhaps you're more like me, but one reason why I am not particularly quick on my feet stems from my desire to think about individual details in extreme depth before moving on to the next. I can't be satisfied with an "okay" understanding of what was just said; I need to be able to surround it from all angles before I am willing to hear what comes next.
>>
>>18193982
Personally I find that when I'm extremely comfortable with someone, like my best friend, I am able to come up with the best jokes or responses to the situation on the spot, literally within a split second. And sure enough, everyone in the room usually laughs quite a lot. You just have to be comfortable with people. I'm working on taking that comfortableness with my best friend and trying to feel like that in public with everyone, without trying so hard though. It's because your nervous of the reaction you might get, I suspect. Anyway, even though it's a stupid meme, just try to comfortable and be yourself in public. I've yet to do this but it'll work eventually. But hey, may be you just need to find your type of humor.
>>
>>18193982
Also someone more comfortable in writing, I actually find my brain works in speech the same as it does in writing - sometimes I backspace a word or two and maybe come up with something better, which manifests itself into a weird stutter or speech impediment that I stumble on.

Doesn't detract anything really, people still pay attention and don't give me any shit for it.

Wish I could give you some actual advice on stepping up your wit. I learned from being around witty and funny people, wishing I could be them, and growing up on yahoo chat like the other retarded 13 year olds of the 90s. Lots of exposure was my trick. Now I go on multiplayer games and can talk shit like it's an olympic event because all that chatting taught me how to think fast.
Maybe try flexing your muscles on some comms channels, but they have to be chat so that you can work your in-the-moment thought process. Anonymous is good. Faceless = stakeless. Eventually work your way up to in-person.

Speaking as someone who wasn't funny or interesting or witty or clever until about 19, and can now slay a room with laughter, it feels good man. It takes work though.
>>
File: 1489543122226.gif (15KB, 400x329px) Image search: [Google]
1489543122226.gif
15KB, 400x329px
>>18194085
>>18194085
How would you advise someone to go about that now? Where can I find other funny people to be around?
>>
File: 1486828694520.jpg (43KB, 720x725px) Image search: [Google]
1486828694520.jpg
43KB, 720x725px
>>18194219
They often just exist. If you need to actively find them, try looking for some kind of community you can start hanging out in where the feel is almost entirely just-for-fun. My spots are makerspaces/community workshops where hobbyists and professionals alike go to mingle and shoot the shit around tools.

Hell, even the internet works. Find pages/sites/subreddits/chans that you genuinely find funny, and just absorb by osmosis.
Play vidya games, practice talking smack for fun. Eventually graduate to microphone and let the lulz flow freely.
>>
>>18194487
cont: a few shows and cartoons were inspirations for my humour too. Some of them over the top and juvenile, some dry as a desert, some just hysterical levels of absurd. At the very least you might get some quotables out of them. Better case scenario, you dial a bit into the feel of the show and can generate your own jokes through inspiration.

Watching/listening to comedians also boosts.

But the most important thing out of all of these examples is you sincerely have to find the stuff funny to give enough of a shit to follow through. There are lots of different types of humour, you will have to find your flavour and run with it.
>>
>>18193982

Practice. Honestly, that is the only thing that works for developing skills and this is no exception. You need to put yourself in situations where you're required to talk, think fast and articulate. Public speaking, improv theatre, just talking with strangers often so you learn to adapt what and how you say to audience, etc. While it may seem intimidating, because you'll probably be bad at it first, it's really the only way to improve. Some educational institutions and agencies offer classes on this type of thing, because some professions rely on good self-expression, so maybe check up your local area if such courses happen to be available.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.