[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

should I give up on my childhood dreams and get newer more

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

File: 1490050926056.jpg (22KB, 540x416px) Image search: [Google]
1490050926056.jpg
22KB, 540x416px
should I give up on my childhood dreams and get newer more mature ones?
>>
>>18190347
That depends on what your childhood dreams are.
>>
File: 1486307736044.gif (450KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1486307736044.gif
450KB, 500x500px
What are your childhood dreams and what probability do you have of accomplishing them?
>>
>>18190348
making videogames.

right now I want to change it to becoming a writer and musician.
>>
You can learn how to make videogames online, why haven't you done this yet??
>>
>>18190351
Well if those are your options, I'd say you're fucked either way.

Might as well do what you like.
>>
File: 1489615021872.jpg (58KB, 560x738px) Image search: [Google]
1489615021872.jpg
58KB, 560x738px
>>18190351
why not do all of those, they're pretty free form and artistic
>>
Hey same dream as me! I'm currently going at it as a character artist.

You can still be a musician or a writer for video games! In fact they are integral parts to a game. So you have the best of both worlds in this case
>>
>>18190351
>videogames
Somewhat realistic if you aren't a retard. Although enjoy crazy hours and shitty pay. Depending on the size of the company, you might even contribute with the writing.

>writer and musician
Might as well play the lottery, even if you're crazy good, it's a huge gamble and depends mostly on chance.
>>
the video game industry seems just awful. tons of unpaid overtime, some of the hardest programming on earth if you're talking game development (i know a guy who left game dev to join nasa, literally become a rocket scientist, because it was less stressful), ungrateful fans, and all of that to make the lowest form of entertainment on the planet.

maybe if you're lucky you get to work on a cool project, there are more out there than ever before, but games range from stuff like the witness or Accounting, to cory in the house. and there are more cory in the houses in this industry (imo) than than witness's.

that being said you can always go indie, but it's tougher now to make a living on your own than it's ever been. you'll have to get a day job so you better really love games.
>>
>>18190347
childhood dreams
don't have to be
childish dreams.

Take me for example, I had the same dream. I wanted to make vidya games because I just enjoyed playing them and deluded myself in thinking I know what makes a good game. I took programming in school, but to this day never actually made a game. I just applied at game dev studios and expected things to fly and learn on the spot.
That shit ain't how it works homie. Mine was the definition of a childish dream.

You need to go either independent or solo and fuck around, get to know the game (of game making), git gud (at game making), build some legitimacy and a portfolio, start hoarding skills and gain the ability to talk about development environments and engines like you know wtf you're doing.
Start a club or find some dev circles on meetup or whatever, and just go get your hands dirty. This out-of-school-straight-to-employment is bullshit. Take it from someone who went to school for programming, but became a woodworking instructor for kids, adults, and seniors instead - whatever you do on your own time tells you a lot about what you actually want to do in life. I still know how to program, but I prefer working with my hands and making shit more.
>>
>>18190351
Just do what you want. Imagine where you want to be in life and go there.
>>
>>18190347
>>18190351
Just get a stable job and do those at your free time. Job isn't everything in life.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.