[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Whenever i read non fiction books, i zone out and get distracted

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: help biz.jpg (25KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
help biz.jpg
25KB, 400x400px
Whenever i read non fiction books, i zone out and get distracted easily. Is there any way to increase my focus so i don't drift off into day dream land?
>>
>>18187110
same
>>
>>18187110
Avid non-fiction reader here. I don't zone out at all if I'm reading something I'm interested in, sometimes I literally have to pull myself away to do some real work.

Is this for school? Or for fun? If the latter, just read something you're actually interested in or just read small snippets everyday. Reading is a skill just like most other hobbies.
>>
Read slower. If you can not focus, do not read on 'autopilot' slow down or stop. If you hear the words you read in your mind, and the words/voice gets softer or further away, then you are losing your concentration. Make sure you understand what is being said, not just read the words, not just hear the sounds in your head. Really think. What does that mean. What does that imply. How does this relate to x. Is this logical. Do I agree. Can it be expanded to a general case.

Stop. Think. Re-read last sentence or paragraph. Did I understand that? Do I agree with that?
>>
Read out loud and read actively. Make sure you're actually working to understand the main points of a passage and how they all tie together instead if just skimming/scanning words. Also like another anon said, read stuff you're actually interested in. I usually finish books in a few sitting because I get so engrossed. But that's only books I'm really interested in.
>>
>>18188243
doing that would mean I'd never finish anything
I already have problems getting myself to read often enough and for long enough in the era of the internet and video games. I want to read faster to be more efficient, not slower.
I'm not OP though.
>>
>>18188682
Spend less time on the internet and playing video games then. Those things are junk food activities that don't have any lasting value. You're an adult now so prioritize your time and energies like one.
>>
>>18187110
Most are written pretty shitty, since the writer is more interested about the content than delivering it, so it's not even fully down to you. Unlike fiction books, they don't have a real plot running through them and tension to keep you engaged, so best you can do is learning how to focus, which simply takes practice.
>>
>>18188688
But I feel bad when despite playing a game for a long time other people are still better than me in it.
Also I don't have much energy in me, I often just lie down and sleep as I can't do anything else, and it's regardless of how long I've slept the previous night. Granted, when I have some duties to do I just do them, but I have troubles forcing myself into productive things when there isn't any outside pressure..
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.