[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is being fat acceptable but being a smoker not? Nobody every

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 2

File: cigarette_0.jpg (38KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
cigarette_0.jpg
38KB, 900x600px
Why is being fat acceptable but being a smoker not? Nobody every cites the dangers of being obese to a fat person because it's considered rude so why are smokers frowned upon so much? Is it the propaganda against smokers.
>>
>>18186817
Because smoking harms others, where as being a fat obese waste of space is largely harmless to others. Unless you can no longer keep up your hygiene because of it.
>>
Because when a fat fucker is eating his seventh bigmac in a row, he's not shoving all his potatos down my throat, you fucking chimney
>>
>>18186817
I dont know where you live but no one says shit to me about smoking except the odd concerned friend who suggests i try to quit.

Meanwhile fat people in my circles are often told the whole reason they so tired and sick all the time is they need to lose weight.

I think we have two totally different life experiences. I hope yours isnt just internet based.
>>
>>18186823
>>18186829
>people should stop driving cars because they harm others
>>
>>18186830
it's never happened to me. I'm just wondering why people get so triggered over it.
>>
>>18186834

>transportation is the same as inhaling poisonous chemicals they're addicted to

i don't hate smokers but use your head.
>>
>>18186817

what? people make fun of fatties all the time.
>>
>>18186841
You do realize vehicles emit toxic poison, right? Every car that is currently being driven pollutes the environment increasing risk of cancer. People clearly should stop driving according to your logic.

stay btfo and triggered
>>
>>18186847

oh you're one of those fags, nevermind then. kill yourself.
>>
>>18186854
>gets btfo
>ragequits
lol, okay sweetie. stay upset.
>>
>>18186817
Because fast food lobby is bigger than tobacco lobby. Without fatties shoving shit down their throat with government shekels, millions worth of investments would be wasted
>>
I smoked for a year in college, and spent a year in my 20s fat. People were a lot shittier to me as a fat guy.
>>
>>18186879
Please. It's all about body shaming. Everyone is a limp wrist faggot and if they aren't the person next to time is, and so you can't call someone fat. There's no conspiracy or lobbies behind it. It's just that people are pussies and don't want to offend fat people.
>>
>>18186817
There's a witch-hunt on smoker's mostly because smokers with lung cancer are over-represented in statistics, completely ignoring all other possible causes such as genetic inheritance

I used to work as bio-it with a company that specialized in looking for cancer in dna, and our own findings show that non-smokers have the exact same chance of getting lung cancer as smokers do IF they live in a city with more than 50m3 of carbon oxide per 1 km3, which are more than prevalent all over the globe

Besides that, smoking does cause lung deterioration which is apparently a lot worse than for example liver deterioration from alcohol consumption where there is absolutely no media campaigns against

People are hypocrites when it comes to health issues, and take a small amount of (in my professional opinion) incorrectly executed studies about second hand smoking and use that as their main banner against smoking in general

Smoking is just as bad for you as drinking, even in moderate amounts
>>
>>18186847
You do realize vehicles serve an irreplaceable purpose in modern society, quite the contrary of a tobacco roll that only serves retards to kill themselves and literally burn money, right?
>>
>>18186946
my point still stands. stay btfo
>>
>>18186959
Sure your point still stands. We should drop vehicles completly and ship food in e-mails.

Kek
>>
>>18186967
according to your logic. stay mad sweetheart
>>
File: 1482980190961.gif (2MB, 490x275px) Image search: [Google]
1482980190961.gif
2MB, 490x275px
>>18186817

>Why is being fat acceptable but being a smoker not?

What the fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>18186817
Probably because there are more fatasses than smokers in the first world, making them a better target. Also years of propaganda about passive smoke dangers.

Also honestly, I don't recall too much "smoker shaming" by the general public. Only some fucking retarded laws when it comes to packaging and advertisement, that ignore much worse drugs like alcohol or sugar. Which again has cultural factors.

>>18186823
Unless they actively make an effort to walk next to you, it doesn't, no.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/danielfisher/2013/12/12/study-finds-no-link-between-secondhand-smoke-and-cancer/

>>18186946
Not the autistic guy, but you could argue that if people really cared about the shit, they would be more pro public transportation and renewable power. While cars are necessary, the amount of them, the types that are most common and the way they are used is not.
>>
>>18186936
Alcohol is worse, it's just too culturally ingrained to take away. The prohibitionists tried it and failed, even though the movement was popular enough to have 2/3 of Congress vote in favor of it.
>>
>>18186982
The worst thing about it is the hypocrisy. Smokers only harm themselves. Drunk people are a danger to their environment in fucktons of ways, and who knows how much productivity hungover fuckers cost.
>>
>>18186973
>Implying I'm mad

Lel

>>>18186976
People do care. People mostly don't have affordable choices to replace, and any cost increase for hauling goods directly impacts would directly cause price inflation. It's not something you can solve overnight

Smoking, on the other hand...
>>
>>18186982
Some form of escapism is too culturally ingrained, but it doesn't have to be alcohol.

Legalise other drugs that people can use to wind down and the competition alone could take a sizable chunk out of the prevalence of alcohol consumption.
>>
>>18186995
>Smokers only harm themselves
Not entirely true. What is second hand smoke.
>>
Most people are incapable of occasionally enjoying tobacco with cigarette smokers being the most commonplace and having the least self control with when and where they smoke. Non smokers then get annoyed by the smell and the attitude of smokers when they crave nicotine.

People hate smokers over fatties because in addition to the above most people are now overweight and have never smoked. That or they quit and don't want to be around it.
>>
>>18186997
> It's not something you can solve overnight
Nor something that was every attempted to be solved due oil being dirt cheap. Just look how underdeveloped Murican railroads are for how many decades?

>Smoking, on the other hand...
Yeah, let's do something, where it has an effect or not. Feels great to make a difference!

>>18187000
An old myth no ones takes serious anymore. Update your knowledge yo.
>>
>>18187014
>get annoyed by the smell
Should we go for perfume and cologne next? Also this disgusting strawberry deodorant that underage chicks use. Fuck that shit.
>>
>>18187015
Like I said, if you increase the transportation cost, you're not solving much, while also creating a new inflation problem. There's still a fuckton of poultants besides burning oil or ethanol for fuel, specially in the US where most of the powerplants are coal based. Either way, picking that was s really stupid comparison to smoking
>>
>>18187059
> if you increase the transportation cost
Rail would lower it in every way. Renewable power too in the long term.

> There's still a fuckton of poultants besides burning oil or ethanol for fuel
Sure but same logic applies here. If the people bitching about muh smokers would actually care about the air quality, they would try to tackle these things, not some faggot who lights a cig couple meters away from them.

>Either way, picking that was s really stupid comparison to smoking
True.
>>
I'm assuming you mean cigarette or cigar smokers.

I secretly hate smokers. I'll never tell it to your face if you're a smoker, but I secretly wish you'd stop. You're hurting your body and you smell like crap, the smell lingers on your body & clothing.

What I do is just not associate with cigarette smokers since there's no stopping or helping them quit.

Like, they think it makes them look cool, when in reality, I'm thinking... no. Just no. Just stop
>>
>>18186817
Both are unacceptable and waste billions of taxpayer money, but some people, emphasis on some not most, are fat due to other things. Hormones, pregnancy, stress, etc. They get in shape and can be back on track whereas smoking is never the result of misfortune. It's something you willingly expose yourself to.
Again, both are bad but we tend to give fatties we care about the benefit of the doubt.
>>
>>18186817

>why is being obese acceptable
>but smoking isn't

woo boyyy lmao

As a fat non smoker let me tell you how wrong you are, bud, lmao even with top sales records and outperforming even the managers and team leads I've lost positions to people who are tall and thin who take frequent smoke breaks on company time lmao if you're fat it doesn't matter how good of a person you are people will judge you based on your outward appearance omglmao but cigarettes smell nasty as fuck, and are a waste of time but no one bats and eyelash lmao good try buddy.
>>
I always think about what my boy Sam Hyde has to say when it comes down to it: a person could be fat, smoker, or alcoholic and they might just be trying to escape something in their life, but gambling and being a sports fan are the worst vices a person can have.
>>
>>18187341
(Smoking) breaks help with concentration which in turn raises productivity. If you had a non shitty employer, they would allow non smokers little breaks too of course.

> I've lost positions
Work performance is only one part. If your boss doesn't like you for whatever reason, it can be often up to you and it's usually much more than being fat.

>if you're fat it doesn't matter how good of a person you are people will judge you based on your outward appearance
It happens whether you're fat or hot either way.

>smell nasty as fuck
Fat people are nasty as fuck on the eye, so?
>>
>>18187121
>I've never had actual problems in my life and have no idea how addictions start, also I absolutely know for a fact that everyone smokes to be cool yo
>>18187000
If you're a smoker with any decency you don't blow your smoke into nonsmoker's faces, I've never seen it happen once. So unless you actively walk/stand right next to a smoker in wind direction, in which case it's your own fucking fault, there is no harm done to you.
>>
>>18187330
Cigarettes also make billions of dollars for the us government
>>
>>18187473
You really want to open this can of shit?
>>
>>18187428
My grandma when she was still alive used to blow smoke in my face. She was always smoking indoors. I was a very young kid at the time
>>
>>18187000
>What is second hand smoke.

Second hand smoke has literally been scientifically proven to be harmless to non-smokers. These long-term studies showed that even people living with a smoker had no greater risk of developing smoking-related diseases. The anti-smoking crowd doesn't talk about this because it goes against their agenda.
>>
>>18186817
Eating is a requirement to live. The feeling of hunger is baseline, and innate for every human. People can sympathize with fat people because it is an instinct. Overindulgence while resources are plentiful is in our evolutionary survival. Your first tobacco product is merely a bad choice.
>>
>mad smoker trying to justify his unhealthy addiciton
not better than your average fat person, you want people to accept your shitty life choices? Do them around other smokers that are also miserable. This thread is garbage lol.
>>
>>18188033

Fat fuck detected.
>>
>>18188040
Look at that hilarious ad hominem. I'm actually an average sized fuck.
>>
Because smokers leave an awful smell everywhere. And they love to smoke at places where you're stuck with them. Fuck smokers.
>>
>>18186817
everyone is overthinking this so i'll boil it down

being fat is something people are self conscious about, they know they shouldn't eat so much, or eat the things they eat, but they do and they have the embarrassing body to prove it.

smoking doesn't cause people to be self conscious, in fact many do it because they feel "cool" or more mature, even though they know its harmful and potentially damaging to those around them

that's why it's acceptable to criticize smokers and not fat people. you can't go cold turkey on food like you can cigarettes, and eating to excess doesn't potentially harm others.

but ironically over eating will kill you faster than smoking, but it's taboo to talk about
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.