[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've never been well versed in math, I want to go to college

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 7

File: 1490842856484.jpg (793KB, 1920x1204px) Image search: [Google]
1490842856484.jpg
793KB, 1920x1204px
I've never been well versed in math, I want to go to college since I hurt my back and cannot continue my trade apprenticeship anymore. I've been looking into finance or accounting but I'm afraid it'd be out of my reach due to my knowledge of Mathematics. Does anyone have any advice on how to understand it better?
>>
>>18185329
Bump
>>
>>18185329
>engineering major
>Had to start in elementary math, lowest level
>Now in Calculus

There might be workshops geared towards understanding it at your CC, get ready to spend a lot of time working on the material. Go to school everyday, go on KhanAcademy.com, actually read the text book, study in between semesters

Don't just do the problem, work through each example trying to understand why you are doing something
>>
>>18185329
You don't need the best grades, anon. Just pass. Remember, once your working, some app will do the job for you
>>
>>18185493
That's not top much of a stretch. Try linear algebra or partial differential equations. Hell, even stats gets crazy. Calc isn't hard until you get to weird multivariable volume problems and even then it ain't too bad.
Some people aren't meant for math and OP might be one of them.
>>
>>18185596
>That's 5 semesters of math just to get caught up

You must be a great person to be around
>>
>>18185617
What is 5 semesters, like 2.5 years? Assuming elementary math is basic algebra, kids go from that to calc in 4-5. I guess congrats on being smarter than 12 year olds in bureaucratic system, my bad f am.
>>
>>18185617

that's like highschool/first year uni level maths ya fuck
>>
>>18185623
>>18185626
> Samefag implying college level math courses are the same as high school
>completely ignores all the advice just to focus on talking shit

But your still a shit person for trying to downgrade other's achievements.

What's your career?
>>
>>18185626
>>18185623
A true sign of a pathetic person is one who needs to look down on others to feel better about themselves
>>
>>18185640
Calm down anon don't nig out on me. There's this cool little feature that shows the number of posters and if you paid attention to it you could see it went up. You probably don't even know what a newfag is and just said it because you felt threatened by some loser on the internet lol.
>>18185642
So you'd argue that everyone is equally capable because my original point, before anon chimped out, was that math isn't for everyone and it isn't the same way not everyone can do engineering, cs, hell pretty much everything.
>>
Im doing this right now op, had like an 8th grade knowledge of math. Now I'm at precalc, taken about two months, (although you could do it much faster, I worked at a leisurely pace) started from the absolute basics to correct any gaps of knowledge I had, shit like multiplying fractions. My college will let me take an assessment test to place directly into the 1st year courses instead of an upgrading course, so all I need to do is take the assessment before all the spots are taken. I'm using mostly khanacademy, with some supplemental books from the /sci/ reading list, lang's 'basic mathematics' and whatever the precalc book they recommend is.
>>
File: wtf lol.png (227KB, 1910x955px) Image search: [Google]
wtf lol.png
227KB, 1910x955px
>>18185640
>>18185642
Wait a second what the hell are you smoking.
>>
I appreciate everyone's advice I apologize for not being at my computer.
>>
>>18185499
Thank you I appreciate your advice.
>>
>>18185640
Thanks for your advice! I've decided to go ahead and try, I am enrolling into community college with remedial mathematics. I plan to then transfer to a state school for accounting or engineering down the road if I am qualified.
>>
>>18185329
>Does anyone have any advice on how to understand it better
I don't know if you really mean this or you just want to solve math exam questions, but here is a very basic book for younger students who wants to get into real mathematics.
https://www.amazon.com/How-Think-Like-Mathematician-Undergraduate/dp/052171978X

Note that despite the title, this book can be used by engineering students to art students. The secret to how to think like a mathematician is simple, in the same way describing the general steps to climb mount Everest is simple. But they are not exactly doable for people with different backgrounds, however, the book definitely helps people who aren't used to mathematical thinking.

From your description I think it is best to give you one single book. To be honest, I would be more helpful (and more equipped) to answer a pure math student's question, but I'd like to give your question a try.
>>
my friend (24) had to learn math and english from scratch because his family was super religious and he went to a school where they only study bible.

so he took preparatory courses for a year (I guess in the US they are called general classes) and now he is a first year math/computer science major.

He's doing really good.

This year we have infinitesmal calculus I and II, linear algebra I and II and some programming courses.
>>
>>18185813
That really gives me hope, I wasn't good because I usually slacked off and due to Adhd. I try not to claim it too much because most of it is just not learning the basics in middle school.
>>
>>18185703
Going through all that trouble

>>18185679
Those buzzwords, I gave advice on going studying math, you ignored all that to try to simplify how hard math is and instead of giving advice you discouraged him by saying it's not for everyone. Good job.

>>18185758
You're welcome, just keep going and you'll do fine
>>
>>18185915
I plan to start from 6th grade mathematics on Khan Academy.
>>
File: 4e9.gif (1MB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
4e9.gif
1MB, 600x338px
>>18185915
>5 seconds in paint is trouble
Anon I think I know why you suck at math lol.
And what the hell, "buzzwords?" Lol. I just said math ain't for everyone. That's hardly discouraging.
>>
>>18185930
I really started at 'this is what the plus sign is, this is what a decimal is'. You'll do fine if you just keep going and don't give up

Before school I was in construction for about 10 years, didn't get to go to high school (didn't drop out, didn't have the chance to go), and often get told I'm one of the most inspiring people at my school

Now I'm president of my robotics club doing a competition hosted by NASA, in programming and in calculus. Just keep going, it'll work itself out
>>
>>18185946
You're pathetic. I know it, you know it. Your insecurities bleed through the internet.
>>
File: pray_the_gay_away.png (653KB, 1197x672px) Image search: [Google]
pray_the_gay_away.png
653KB, 1197x672px
>>18185954
Well damn, this really makes me think. I guess everyone should go into math now. I'm sorry for hurting your feelings man. I'm here if you need to talk.
>>
>>18185961
Calling you out for being pathetic doesn't equate to me being hurt
>>
File: Miracle.jpg (106KB, 380x493px) Image search: [Google]
Miracle.jpg
106KB, 380x493px
>>18185987
Pobre sito
You need some milk and cookies and I'll let you lay in my lap. Then you can tell me all about how you beat mean math with your big brain.
>>
>>18186025
You still haven't said what you're doing with your life, friend
>>
File: Head tilt.gif (4MB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
Head tilt.gif
4MB, 480x360px
>>18186031
Just graduated with a math degree, i didn't realize how ironic that is lol, probably gonna go into either ocs or some engineering program. It's meh but it beats going full neet status. How about yourself.
>>
>>18186089
Robotics/software engineering major communication minor with a focus on leadership and management
>>
File: 1455256528549.png (137KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1455256528549.png
137KB, 300x300px
>>18185329
3rd year accounting student here

If you can organize a sock drawer and pass 6th grade mathematics, you can get through accounting.

The only hard part is memorizing the rules
>>
>>18186106
Or emphasis rather than focus
>>
>>18186118
Great thank you that means a lot. I plan to look into finance accounting or engineering if my back heals up.
>>
>>18186106
Well then you understand not everyone is fit for math, or even science in general in the same way that not everyone is fit to be a stand up comedian. It's not about whether they can but whether they should. Why struggle and be miserable for years when there's probably something else that's better suited for you?
In either case good luck graduating. If you're in the wrong city or wrong line of work theb you're in for a good time.
>>
>>18186235
I'm in Silicon Valley, and I don't think software/robotics engineering can be the wrong line of work.

Regardless it's not your place to tell someone they aren't fit before they have even tried. Having a math degree is only a step up from being a NEET.
>>
>>18186358
That's true of any degree, it's only a piece of paper that says you can sit still ans listen for 4 years. They're useless. If yoy can actually make something is what will make you stand out.
Anyways, sure someone who hasn't tried has unknown potential, but if you're over 18 you've more than tried and have to be realistic with yourself. If OP isn't "wel versed" then he should be thinking why that is. It's not impossible, but that doesn't mean it's his best choice either.
>>
>>18185329
You probably arent still around OP but the reason Japanese students are better at math than American students is Americans believe you are either good at math or you aren't while the Japanese believe if you aren't good at math you need more practice.

tldr: practice. lots and lots of practice
>>
>>18186358
>I'm in Silicon Valley
>Robotics/software engineering major communication minor with a focus on leadership and management

This sounds like something an engineering student from some community college would think is master of the universe tier, I get it, you like robotics and software engineering and you want to be a leader and you would love to work in the Silicon Valley, yesterday it was an anon with triple major of economics, physics and business and is working for a large defence contractor (lol)

>Having a math degree is only a step up from being a NEET

There is really no point in saying that here since most anons tend to lie about any accomplishment whatsoever they might have anyway. Why not, I mean who could really verify? (actually not so long ago another anon claimed to go to my uni and got 4.0 GPA in EE, I just linked him to the list of the actual EE students in Dean's list in our school and no one has 4.0). Not to mention talking down to another major you haven't actually studied pass the basics is an indicator of someone hasn't taken any nontrivial courses, which kinda fit the profile above.
>>
>>18186440
I'm from Silicon Valley - and I chose to go towards leadership because there are so many weird introverts in CS and engineering

I wasn't talking down to another major; guy himself said it's a 'meh degree'
>>
>>18186440
I'm the mathfag. Yeah his story seems fishy, but I take everything on the internet with a pinch of salt while also giving the benefit of the doubt. Let's be honest, if they want to lie on the internet then let them, it doesn't mean nothin. I graduated with honors from my math program, but since I live in a poor part of socal with no car, I'm kind of screwed.
My point is that there's much more to factor in success than degree title. I've met engineers, developers, chemists, etc. Who were all skilled at what they did but could not sail in this storm. That's why OP should put thought into this. Never study something, especially something you hate or struggle at, just because you think it will give you a job.
>>
>>18186235

This.
Horrible at math, but am becoming a Dr
>>
>>18186898

You're a beaner aren't you? I can spot one a mile away. I'm a mean bean detecting machine.
>>
>>18186957
But then my degree would have been free and I wouldn't be shitposting right now.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.