[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've been stupid and told my boss I'm resigning last

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

File: chinese_crowds.jpg (82KB, 520x348px) Image search: [Google]
chinese_crowds.jpg
82KB, 520x348px
I've been stupid and told my boss I'm resigning last Friday. I haven't submitted a formal resignation yet, just told him over the phone.

One or two of my co-workers have been told (since they will have to find a replacement) but now I'm regretting it badly.

How common is it to withdraw a resignation?

Should I just email my boss asking to speak with him next week (he's on holiday this week) and explain my thinking process?

I was thinking of doing a Masters at university (I've been accepted) but the fees are pretty steep and I'm now losing interest in doing that. Also my flatmate committed suicide last week in her room while I was there, and I've spent a week bouncing from sofa to sofa, and I took it as a sign that I should just resign and leave this city.

Any advice?

Please help.
>>
PLEASE RESPOND
>>
>>18184957
Don't stop your dreams because a woman killed herself near you, she wasn't going to fuck you anyways.
>>
>>18184975
Her death isn't effecting my decisions on anything, only I had to move out of my apartment and ended up bouncing around different places. I was exhausted and took it as a sign to quit my job (which I've been thinking of doing for some time) that I need to finally move on.

But I spent the weekend out of the city with a guy who is friends with my family. I think I realized that one of the reasons I'm so down and frustrated is that I don't have a girlfriend. The job itself doesn't really teach me any skills but it's secure and well-paying for someone with no skills.

I figured today I should just put all my effort into finding a new apartment to rent, and then really trying to find a girlfriend and improving my life in that sense. If I do resign I'll end up living with my mother and sister and step-dad for around four months before spending several thousand dollars on a degree for a career I'm not sure I want.
>>
>>18184957
Yup OP, explain to him what happened, hell understand. If he doesn't, then you're better without him anyway.
>>
>>18185008
OP here.

I phoned him Friday and explained I was going to study a Masters (I've been accepted onto the course).

I also sent an email thanking for the opportunity he gave me and explaining that I've learned a lot from him over the past few years. It feels so embarrasing to withdraw now.

I am a quiet guy in the office, and people will think I'm a coward now if I don't quit, and that I'm helpless (i.e. I have nothing else to go to). I feel so pathetic.
>>
>>18185014
Look, what are you going to do? You either bite the bullet, have an awkward talk and get back to your job, or you either get jobless in 2 weeks and good luck finding another one.
It's your choice OP.
Btw OP, it seems like you have self-esteem problems if what your coworkers think about you is more important than your career.
>>
>>18185035
I definitely have self-esteem issues. But the office is very small and many people here have known each other for a long time.

Also, I don't intend to be in this job long-term, so if I do ask to stay now and then decide in three months that actually I think it's best to leave, I'm pretty much stuck and will have to say "this time I'm serious" or something. I'm a quiet person and sometimes I can be quite awkward, but my boss has been good enough to overlook this for some time.

But I think now I've pretty much spat in his face and will now beg to be forgiven for doing that.
>>
>>18185057
What does this job represent for you? Is it something important or not?
Maybe
try to find a better replacement?
>>
>>18185065
I have tried to find a replacement, but then I thought I'd be better to return to university and get some skills / qualifications to pursue a career where there's room to move between cities and ranks, rather than just stay doing the same work for gradually more money.

The thing I'm worried about is that my current job doesn't really provide skills in a sense that would allow me to work elsewhere. It's fairly basic data-related work, it just happens to pay pretty well since it's a successful start-up. But if I want to find another job it's hard because I lack skills, and I was thinking if I resigned and gained skills now it wouldn't be as bad as if I did it when I was 30 or something.
>>
>>18185098
OP. You sure it's really a gf you need? What will she give you more than you already have? Beside intimacy I mean.

Also, imagine you stay in the company, what are you going to do? Save your money and leave? Stay there until your 30's? Since you don't have skills, the master is the only way out right? So what are 4 months of living with your parents (aka saving rent money) compared to a lifetime?
>>
>>18185182
I think being in a mature and intimate relationship will allow me to mature and be less selfish and retarded. I will have someone to talk to who has my best interests at hear.

As for the lifetime thing, I don't really know if I'd like to be a librarian for a lifetime. My research suggests that I will very likely have to spent a lot of time talking to customers at the front desk, that is, stamping books and so on. If I want a more lucrative position with less public interaction, I will have
>>
>>18185192
Fair enough, it's a good reason. But for someone to talk, a best friend is sometimes better (even if it's harder to find a real best friend than a gf in some occasions)

I don't understand the last part, what are you working rn and what could you do when you finish your master?
>>
>>18185198
Right now I basically manage a whole bunch of data in a company that is pretty small but is worth like 2 million. I've been working here since it launched three years ago. In real terms, a lot of my work is sitting around and much of it is simple data entry.

I planned on studying for a librarianship masters, but it turns out even if you gain this degree your job afterwards is likely to be stamping books and dealing with customers for years with mostly female co-workers. I told my mother about it and she said she think I can do more with a brain like mine (I did well at undergraduate etc).

I haven't had a girlfriend before and I think I'm just frustrated about that and want to change my life just out of protest or something. It's hard to tell.
>>
>>18185207
Are you interested in anything else? A master that you could do with "a brain like yours"? You need to find what you really want, otherwise you're pretty much stuck, right?
A prof once gave us an advice : that you need to sit down, take a piece of paper and write down what is really important for you. Not what you want, but what matters the most for you in this life.
>>
>>18185254
>>18185254
I didn't mean to be boastful with that comment, it's just if I'm working on a front desk at a library for 5 years it would be for far less money though I'd have to pay a lot to be in that position.

Thanks for the advice.

I shouldn't have sperged out and told my boss I'm leaving. It was dump. But I will have to be honest with him and myself.
>>
>>18185265
Didn't see it like that, I just quoted your mother lol
I see now, it's not really worth it. Unless it's really what you want to do.
Good luck OP
>>
>>18185014
Op..... wtf - you weren't resigning in disgust. You were resigning for a masters program.
No one is going to
Think you are a coward. Why would you even think that?
>>
>>18185280
Because if I say "I've decided to move on and study a masters"

And then say "oh wait, I've decided not to study for a masters, can I stay please?"

He's going to think I'm:

1. Indecisive
2. That I don't like my job and am looking elsewhere
3. A liability
4. Unreliable

Etc. At least two of my co-workers know I've said I'm leaving. And I'm sure the others will find out soon enough if I don't say something.
>>
>>18185283
Forgot to say, more importantly he will think I am essentially dependent on this job and unable to find another. So I won't be able to complain or step out of line at all or he'll say "I let you stay, so do what I tell you". I will be "that guy" more than ever. A pathetic clinger-on to a shitty job.
>>
Anybody else willing to give their opinion?
>>
>>18185288
I'm >>18185278 and I think you're over thinking. They'll be comprehensive. Even if he uses you after that then you have a shitty boss, and you'd better leave.
>>
>>18184957
Honestly the boss is likely just going to be happy to not have the headache of finding and training a new guy.

Unless you're useless at your job and the boss would be happy to see the back of you there's going to be no big deal about it. You're just fretting.
>>
>>18185432
I just feel bad and really fucking stupid for not only telling him I'm leaving but sending an email thanking him for all his guidance etc. I know he'll feel like he has to treat carefully around me now and will becom suspicious of my integrity since I applied for Masters etc without telling him.

And plus the two guys who work closest to me know I've said I'm leaving. I don't mind what they think if I don't leave (since I'm already a pretty odd guy in their eyes). But still.

I'm definitely a stupid person.
>>
>>18185437
It could have been worse, the email might have been titled "Fuck. You."

At least you showed you weren't looking to burn bridges if and when the time comes to move on.
>>
>>18185459
I guess.

I'm just a stupid person. I have a bad temperament. I make silly on-the-spot decisions and then regret them immensely. I just can't trust my instincts any more. One minute I feel like quitting and running away, the next minute I feel like working the same job for 10 years in order to buy a house and accept that I don't need much in life etc.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.