[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I noticed that there are a lot of guys that think they're

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: ed.jpg (56KB, 460x442px) Image search: [Google]
ed.jpg
56KB, 460x442px
I noticed that there are a lot of guys that think they're all philosophical and shit for reading Osho quotes and watching YouTube videos about philosphy or life. I'm ok with that, I like those myself, but I don't push my philosophical beliefs on others and I don't try to add philosophy in every conversation I have with people. It's annoying and often the guy thinks he is so much smarter, sophisticated and understands everything better than you (or me in this case). I'm not dumb, I go to university, I have hobbies like art and drawing and working out, but somehow these guys always talk like I'm dumb or a sheep and they're 'enlightened'.

My ex was like this, he would watch atheist stuff and anti-feminism stuff and it really changed him but it only turned him into an asshole who talked bad about others but couldn't see he's a neckbearded weed addict with no friends.

Now I have a very fit and social boyfriend, he works out, has hobbies like martial arts. He's a better person than my ex ever was, he doesn't look down at people and I believe he really is intelligent because he uses philosophy to become a better person himself and he is very inspired by Buddha and doesn't care about atheism or anti-feminist things, BUT he overanalyses everything, all of my feelings and when there is a problem he always comes with philosophical stuff and a huge wall of text or a huge story about how I should deal with the situation. I love my boyfriend to bits, but I don't understand the overanalysing part so much, he really is a mind over emotions kind of guy so very rational.

I don't mind it on the other hand though, that is what I like about him, but I was just wondering if this is a guy thing? Using philosophy to make yourself a better person but in the mean time believing others are sheep or have sheep mentality (because they are less or not into philosphy)

Does anyone recognize this?
>>
I don't know what a philosophy is, but are you sure that you don't just feel like he's trying to make you feel inferior by using really long convoluted words and sentences and letters?

Do you have any examples of this?
>>
Actually intelligent people don't try to force their opinions on people they like. The dumber the person is, the more of a genius they seem to think they are. I have a friend who's college educated but dumb as a fucking bag of rocks and he's always explaining why "I don't get it maaan" while meanwhile possessing 0 knowledge of historical events and basic philosophical ideas. I can't tell you if you should stay with him or leave him but I can tell you he's probably a bigger jackass than he thinks
>>
It's more of a learned habit. I used to be similar, attempting to solve people's problems with philosophical examinations, until I realized that's not what they wanted/needed and that it was a fairly pointless gesture in the first place (not in a nihilistic sense, but more like the application of personal philosophy has to be self-actualized rather than taught).

The new guy will likely learn how to break out of this habit in time if he is as intellectual as you say.
>>
>>18184718
Yeah, it's generally a guy thing. Boys are socialized to be more outspoken than girls, to the point that some never get the memo that it can be fucking annoying and condescending. This is even worse if they come to the point where they legitimately think that they're somehow exceptionally wise/rational/whatever.

The "reason over emotion" thing is also often a mean for masculine self-identification. Men are supposed to be rational and in control of their emotions according to clichés, it can be a reassuring crutch.

But what your current bf seems to be doing is another milder, more benign male thing: thinking every discussion should head toward problem-solving.

I've seen it expressed as such: "I don't feel better talking about problems, it tires me out and makes me anxious. I only want to talk about them if it's to find a direct solution, then be done with it". This is obviously a very limited approach, there are a lot of situations in life where there's no simple solution and you just need to vent. But some men don't see it that way and are confused whenever their "helpful" tips are rejected. It makes them feel useless, or like you're not really listening to them/playing head games.
>>
Thank you very much for these reactions guys. I wasn't really trying to complain about my boyfriend, he is an amazing guy, but I was just curious if someone recognizes the behaviour or mindset.
>>
Why does it make you feel like a sheep when your boyfriend references something when trying to give you advice?
>>
I'm always scared of this, like I'm into reading philosophy but I don't think it makes me better than anyone else or anything like that. I really don't want to seem arrogant or condescending but when people ask me what I'm reading or what I'm into I feel like a prick.
>>
>>18184894

If anyone thinks you're a prick for reading philosophy then they're the pricks.
>>
>>18184894
You just have to be attentive to their level of interest and try to give them the opportunity to talk whenever possible. Casual communication is supposed to be a back-and-forth, not a lecture.
>>
File: op.gif (2MB, 383x576px) Image search: [Google]
op.gif
2MB, 383x576px
>>18184718
>my ex is a fedora
>my bf is a fedora
>I'M A FEDORA
>>
>>18184718
You overanalyze all this shit yourself.

>believing others are sheep or have sheep mentality
Is simply a defense mechanism for a weak ego, people tell themselves this shit to feel better since they didn't learn a method beyond putting others down.

The only somewhat "guy thing" is attempting to solve your problems while a "more general female" solution would be to offer solidarity.
>>
>>18184718
why are you still thinking about your ex kek
>fit social boyfriend
yeeah
>>
Your ex is manchild, who's a failure that thinks he got everything figured out so he can blame others.
Your current bf is intelligent and uses philosophy to better himself (like it should be used), the fact that he analyses emotions is more of a guy thing, we can feel emotions just fine, but expressing them purely is hard, it's easier for us to use philosophical (or other) abstract terms. Your current bf doesn't think you're a sheep, at worst he might think that a person isn't mature enough yet to realise some things, and in that case he wouldn't even bother to explain anything or write a wall of text.
>>
>>18184894
You only sound like a prick when you look down upon people who don't read philosphy, I mean someone coud be a doctor or fireman and give zero shits about philosophy but at least they save lives while you read philosophy on your laptop soooo
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.