[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Aside from STEM, what are decent paying majors? Like $50k+?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 7

Aside from STEM, what are decent paying majors? Like $50k+?

>shit at high level math
>disinterested in engineering or any other STEM major
>>
If you've got the time, any degree + a masters in education could lead you to being a vice principle/principle. Not sure how much they get paid in USA, but in Canada, principles make $130k a year.
>>
>>18183644
You can also go to trade school, or CC.
>>
>>18183610

>basing what you will have to commit for the next 5+ years in how much money it could theoretically give you once you are done

Non sense.
>>
>>18183610
Tbh there's no reason to need more than $40k
>>
>>18183824
>not wanting to indulge in gluttonous materialism and senseless hedonism

i don't understand anon? what are you trying to say here?
>>
>>18183833
I majored in stem, got a $40k job and I'm living comfortable and can afford all my hobbies / rainy day fund
I don't even know what I'd do with the ridiculous salaries people here claim is the norm
>>
>>18183655
>not considering return on invested time and money
>misspelling "nonsense" as two separate words as if "non" is a fucking word.

good advice.
>>
>>18183845

Seems that you have missed the point.
>>
File: 1485627431325.png (180KB, 378x365px) Image search: [Google]
1485627431325.png
180KB, 378x365px
>>18183610
plumbing, electrician, construction, etc.

If you are shit at mental work and don't want a physical job, well good luck to you, I guess.
>>
File: 1490153780736.jpg (145KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
1490153780736.jpg
145KB, 720x960px
>>18183610
It sounds like you'd fit with accounting

The math is easy. No science. Chance for promotions, working for the Big 4, and starting your own firm. Once you get your CPA, you can expect employment and a high middle class salary
>>
>>18183655
Makes perfect sense to me. I don't have any goals or ambitions, and there's no job that seems interesting to me. I just wanna buy stuff.
>>
OP, first thing you need to do is to stop thinking in terms of education directly affecting your pay.

Employers care about employable skills -- skills of which are demonstrable. Another thing, do you have a niche skill or market you can work for? The more specialized your skills usually means higher pay.

For instance, even though I have a degree in political science -- objectively the worst degree to go into today's job market with -- I am able to work full time with clients. I show them I have the experience and knowledge to be their political consultant. Now, usually this would require a Master's degree or even a PhD, but I have a couple years under my belt already working as a political campaign advisor. I make decent money, especially compared to my cohort who are working a 9-5 office job at some likely unknown small company.

Anyway, all I'm saying is this -- you don't need to necessarily go into STEM to make a lot of money. You just need to show you have expertise that trumps everyone in your field. You need to be in the middle to top tier of your job market, but that takes a lot of effort, time and dedication -- yada yada yada, you know what I mean.

Just remember, no one wants to hire someone who's mediocre unless they're mediocre themselves, and if that's the case, then you need to detach yourself from them because that'll get you no where. You need to make it your policy to become the best, because then you'll be able to charge the highest rates.

Bit of a long winded answer but I hope this helps you to understand that it's not always about the degree itself. For most it's just a stepping stone into the real world where you'll then start to develop technical expertise in your line of work.
>>
>>18183610
Law?
>>
>>18184027
law job market is fucked right now, it's too saturated

there are too many law school grads and not enough jobs
>>
>>18183956
>high middle class
Nigger CPAS take in so much cash it's not even funny. 100k no problem. They frequently reach the top income bracket
>>
>>18183851
>plumbing, electrician, construction, etc.
all of these pay shit unless you're in an area with little to no mexicans. just saying, I want off this ride.
>>
>>18183644
You make it sound as if you can just get a piece of paper and walk into a school and get offered an administrative job. If only life is that simple.

Everyone in my extended family works in education. I'm currently pursuing a BA in education myself. A cousin got her master's and then spent 3-4 years applying for administrative jobs in her local city, she didn't want to move, so maybe that limited her -- actually it totally did. Whatever. Finally, she got interviews, and she told us, that she was competing against 50 people for the same jobs. It was nuts. She got it though. Yes, principals can make 130k in the US too, but again, don't make it sound like it's an easy thing. Many districts only hire people with many years of teaching experience, and they prefer people from within, who know the bureaucracy there.
>>
Trades are probably your best bet.
Like doing installation and clearing made a ton.

As a rule of thumb, jobs that people don't want to do and take skill doing pay well.
>>
>>18184191
>installation and clearing
the fuck is this?
>>
File: mochizk11.jpg (155KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
mochizk11.jpg
155KB, 1024x768px
>>18183610
pure math
300k starting
any position you want
also,
>retains its value given any state of the economy
>>
>>18184221
being an asian man? what're you on about?
>>
>>18184221
>>18184229
I mean if we're going full dolezal here and just making different races our careers why aim low at being asian, just go full orthodox jew.
>>
Be a teacher. Deadass serious.

>shortage, growing market
>3-4 months off thanks to breaks
>benefits
>$40k at least with just a bachelors starting, can make more depending on where you live and masters
>only need to be proficient at high school level math unless you're a math teacher
>potential loan forgiveness if you teach at nog school
>mostly women
>make an impact on kids lives and futures for the better
>>
>>18184238
That is if you dont mind repeating school for literally the rest of your life.
>>
File: leffest_cedric_villani.jpg (137KB, 480x400px) Image search: [Google]
leffest_cedric_villani.jpg
137KB, 480x400px
>>18184229
>>18184235
my man, you can be white and good at math
it's just a way of life.
>>
A family friend is an electrician, makes close to 110k a year. Not bad considering it's essentially manual labor.
>>
>>18183610
Law is pretty well paying.
>>
I make $80k as a Digital Marketing Manager and don't have to use anything more complicated than the most basic of equations for math. I'm shit at math and still good at this.
>>
>>18183610
Be like my old man and make $70,000 a year as an editorial writer. Took him 30 years, networking, and the lucky death of the previous guy in the position at the paper where he now works, though.
>>
>>18183644
I'd bemore impressed by this advice if you knew the difference between PRINCIPLE and PRINCIPAL.
>>
OP here

I've thought about going to trades school, specifically an apprenticeship for welding at a local shipyard.
I took a welding course in high school and that's one of the few things I can say I'm good at.

My only problem with that is the pay. Probably a shitty way of looking at it, but I want to achieve that perfect ratio of wealth to career enjoyment.

I'm also not too fond of doing manual labor until I'm 60.
>>
>>18183851
naw man, plumbing and electrical work can't be done without licenses and education, you can't pull Juan off the street to wire your house up for you. That job would never pass inspection.
Also consider stuff like welding and mechanic.

I live in Atlanta, Ga, an extremely Mexican infested place, and the annual salary for a plumber here is 59.5K.

if you go into business for yourself, you will make 6 figures with a good trade.
>>
>>18184136
>>18184866

er meant my reply to you, not myself :x
>>
I need advice too my dudes, I feel like I fucked up my life and don't know how to turn it around. I went to college for fine arts and got 32 credits and never finished. I didn't know what I wanted to do with my life and felt like art was the only thing I was interested in. I suck at math and science, I have a hard time memorizing complicated shit. I've been working at Walmart for almost 3 years and sometimes I just wanna give up. I don't make much and it's hard for me to find a place to live that I can afford on my own due to Walmart shit salary and needing my car to get to work. I'm afraid to live completely on my own and have had different roommates since graduating high school. I suffer from anxiety and depression but I plan on going back to my therapist and getting prescribed something that'll make me not feel like a useless piece of shit. I have until December probably before I'll have to find a p on ace for only myself to live due to roommates wanting to leave the state (NY). I have no interest in going with them even if they wanted me to. I moved back to the city where I got my 32 credits. I just want to finish my degree or switch to something and just have a degree, cause honestly I know I shouldn't but I feel like a failure without one. Thank you to anyone that replies to this.
>>
>>18183610
do stats for companies that don't want to do their own stats. Or psychometrics. those people make bank
>>
>>18185230
I'd give you the same advice here: investigate trade schools. Get into a trade program/apprenticeship and learn a valuable trade. Welding may greatly interest you as it will allow you to create metal sculptures on the side which perhaps you can sell and become a professional artist while also having a useful and valuable trade.
>>
>>18185230
or maybe woodwork, with the same mentality. you can design furniture, or craft wooden sculptures

also, the feeling of accomplishment of creating something or finishing a project really does help fight depressive thoughts. you will see the value you can bring the world in a tangible way.
>>
>>18183610
Physical therapy assistant, nursing, occupational therapy assistant. All two year certs that pay over $60k
>>
>>18183610
Engineering is almost always a poor choice of major. If you're in a particularly high demand area like computer engineering you can do well, but contrary to popular belief, most engineering majors have a hard time finding jobs in their field.
>>
>>18183610
Even teachers make that much so really any major if you are willing to get your teaching credential after getting your bachelors.
>>
>>18186518
guy already said he isn't interested in STEM majors, why bother making this post? butthurt lib arts major?

t. engineer making 120K
>>
>>18183610
Nursing RN or NP, Human Resources, Public Health, Public Admin...
>>
>>18183824
actually, average happiness continues increasing until you reach a yearly income of $76,000 (+15,000 for every kid), after which higher income doesn't do much.
>>
>>18186740
>engineer making 120K
Silly propellerhead, I bet you're autistic as fuck. I work with lots of engineers and I haven't met a single one that isn't a fucking impractical moron that over complicates every thing.
>>
File: 1483937398802.jpg (95KB, 867x500px) Image search: [Google]
1483937398802.jpg
95KB, 867x500px
>>18187023
>understanding nuance
>understanding the intricate details of everything around us
>understanding how to create something from nothing
>"must be retarded lol"

t. retard
>>
>>18187055
You just described how the world looks to an autistic person. I'm a mechanical technician and I can figure out all the dumb shit you create just by putting my hands on it and having a basic understanding on how things work. So it can't be that impressive.

t. normie
>>
>Uncle Sam covers my tuition because family is poor as shit and dad is drunkard
>living at home
>have $6k in debt from first year school I transferred from, no debt since
>sophomore, need to pick major by junior year

Fuck lads.
How's Economics?
Some math but not advanced, decent prospects right?
>>
>>18187073
wow, you can figure out how things are created by taking them apart? gee golly, mister! now create something from scratch.
>>
>>18187083
So how many patents do you have? Gee goly mister! Go back to "designing" things that have already been created. Hey, if you change that tolerance you might as well take credit for creating the original. Seriously though, how many patents do you have? That's what I thought shit bird.
>>
>>18187089
>not understanding working agreements with companies

kk
>>
>>18187098
So you answered my question. You've never created anything original. Typical engineer. You think you're hot shit.
>>
>>18187106
you really don't understand how companies work, huh?

anything you create under the employ of a company, novel or not, belongs to them, which, admittedly, sucks.
>>
>>18187131
You've never created anything have you? Don't spout off how you create things yet you've never actually created anything worthwhile in your life.

You still get acknowledgement for a patent on behalf of the company, and you have just confirmed this. I also know this because I work with people who hold dozens of patents from multiple companies.
>>
File: 1483592686520.png (327KB, 655x453px) Image search: [Google]
1483592686520.png
327KB, 655x453px
>>18187158
haha you got me, I'm just shit-posting

I'm not an engineer, but I do make 120K as a software developer. no patents, though.

rock on, my dude
>>
>>18184166
Basically this. You still gotta play the decades long game of 20-30k salary to even have a SHOT at admin.

Teachers are paid basically only slightly more than your average mcfats manager, but with the added college debt just to rub shit in that wound.
>>
>>18183956
I am a CPA can confirm, accounting is the shit
>>
>>18184136
construction management m8
it pays well but it demands a lot of hours
>>
Does anyone know how much a geoligist makes after university?
>>
>>18187073
>t. normie
It's sad that every time someone says this it's likely an autist
e.g
>t. Chad
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.