[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just got expelled from College for failing 10 courses total

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: moomin_1.jpg (92KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
moomin_1.jpg
92KB, 1024x1024px
I just got expelled from College for failing 10 courses total through 4 semesters.
Worst thing is that I love my career, I was studying Computer Science in Systems Engineering, I love programming and I'm actually pretty good at it (won Microsoft competitions against students older than me multiple times and stuff). But apparently I don't have what it takes to pass the engineering side of the career (failed math and physics 3 times each) and it doesn't help either that I've been (diagnosed) with a crippling depression 3 years ago which keeps getting worse.
What's next for my life now? I lost two years of my life. I'm not even sure my parents will allow me to enroll to another University at all. Besides coding shit I don't know how to do anything at all, and I don't even have a diploma to prove it.
How do I cope with this feel of massive failure? What am I supposed to tell everyone back at my hometown? Seriously, what do?
>>
go form door to door asking if they have coding jobs, rinse and repeat til you get a job. work your way up ladder & improve skills. Depression: eat fresh fruit & veg, exercise.
>>
>>18178543
With a bachelors degree out of your hands, you fucked it up real bad... Take that oracle java proficiency test (idk what its called exactly) if u like programming in java or some similar test to get a certificate so that you have some way of showing your skill set, then look for online programming jobs I guess.

Or you can ask the alumni of your college (someone who knows you are good at programming) and possibly work with them?..
>>
>>18178578
Continuing on my answer, the main setback is that you have no way of showing what your skills are, some certificate or anything equivalent would have been sufficient in this case but you getting out of your college shows you aren't dilligent, there must be people in your contact who know your worth, If I were in your case I would meet them and discuss a possibility of working together/under them (don't beg them for work, that would be awkward for them) and show them with the quality of your work that you were well worth their trust.
>>
>>18178543
Professor writing here.

The world hasn't quite ended. You'd be surprised how many people are in your position - failing at university the first time around.

I won't attempt to recommend, but just to inform you of one course of action some have taken successfully.

Take a couple of years off. Get a job - any job. Use your spare time to try to learn the math and physics outside the pressures of a classroom. Maybe drop back a step and take the pre-elementary classes that would make the classes you failed make more sense.

Then go back to college. In my experience students who come back after a few years off almost always do better. You might even be able to retain credit for the classes you passed.

And in the grand scheme of things, being a few years older when you graduate won't matter much at all.
>>
>>18178543
How the fuck do you fail four semesters? Why didn't you drop the classes you were fucking up in?

>How do I cope with this massive failure?

How about you kill yourself
>>
>>18178543

Moomins is the best

Honestly, it depends on what you want to do. You can do a lot without a degree, but it won't pay as well. You may want to consider what others here have suggested -- and also build up a resume by working on open source projects. Things such as OpenDayLight or the Linux project or anything like that. Become a contributor, build up a resume based on those actual projects and skills, and move forward from there. Obviously it will give no pay, but you will learn a lot in tandem to creating a useful resume. Enter more competitions, look into working freelance as a web developer / game developer programmer etc. You won't find a cushy Booz Allen job now, but you can certainly become an expert on Ruby on Rails or Networking programming and development or Game development, etc.
>>
File: really.jpg (124KB, 691x680px) Image search: [Google]
really.jpg
124KB, 691x680px
>>18178551
>I'm a nigger with no clue what depression is!
>>
>>18179469
Exercise and eating healthy is a cheap and effective way to treat depression. It's good for increasing motivation too.
>>
>>18179490
>be fit
>have abusive family in the middle of nowhere
>dude just get over it! Lmao
Also excluding hormonal or neurological depression. Nice try though dumb ass!
>>
>>18179424
/adv/ - Advice
>>
>>18178543
Stand on the street corner in silicon valley with a sign that says will code for food.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.