[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I function as a 23 year old with inattentive ADHD? I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: Capture.png (26KB, 99x93px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
26KB, 99x93px
How do I function as a 23 year old with inattentive ADHD?
I always feels like there's WAY too much going on in my life, even if I have plenty of time to handle my responsibilities.
Sometimes I just don't do important shit because it feels like too much to even think about.
I can't decide on a path for the future, there's an impossible amount of factors I'd need to consider in every career that I consider, everything seems impossibly complicated.
I absolutely hate myself most of the time, being called lazy and irresponsible throws me into a depressive mood with even less energy than before.
I work my ass off at work but I'm kind of forgetful so I get shit. I get straight A's in school if I keep my nose to the grinder but the minute I let go of my focus it all falls apart.
I don't know how to get help. When I try talking to people a voice in my head starts telling me that I'm just looking for excuses for my laziness. I'm also really scared of how much therapy or counseling would cost.
>>
>>18176677
>inattentive ADHD
>not just a lazy, undisciplined piece of shit

lol
>>
>>18176704

ADHD is not a personality/character trait, it's a neurodevelopmental disorder.
>>
>>18176677
the reality is that you are just looking for excuses for laziness. There are times when pushing off work is acceptable and there are matters of urgency and importance to your life or others' lives that you need to hold in higher regard.

It's a common strategy to avoid stress by doing some work only when you feel up to it, and that's fine if you make it work for you. If you never feel up to it that's where you really need to bite down.

but desu if you get good grades, hold down a job, etc. what the fuck is your actual problem? not getting it.
>>
>>18176709
yeah i guess you could call preferring ice cream over vegetables a neurological disorder as well if it makes you gain weight.

All I hear is excuse. I was formally diagnosed with ADHD and learned to adapt with it to perform. I actually use the overstimulation to my advantage. It's all about really buckling down and working with what you have rather than whining about it.
>>
You sound exactly like me. Unfortunately, I haven't really found a solution either.

I'm either focusing on nothing, or focusing only on one very specific thing. So I can do great if I really put the mind to it, but I kind of need a very specific goal in the first place.

My problem is that I've sort of deduced that I just find practically everything interesting to some degree, but the prospect of sitting in a job where I will simply be repeating things instead of learning kind of bores me.

This would in theory probably predispose me towards more generalized training so that I'm capable of performing a number of jobs with my certification.

I'd say just try to get as much experience as you can, and base your decision on those experiences and how they affected you. If you don't know exactly what a specific job entails, look up a video. Everybody vlogs these days. Failing that? Call somebody up and ask if you can have a chat with them, just try not to waste their time of course. Be concise.

Hell, the school here has tours, trials, fares... Maybe talk with a counselor or something. They've got little aptitude tests that will match your personality and goals with a certain job.
>>
>>18176716

Really depends on the person; some cope with their symptoms, some don't. For me, I can't sit for more than 15-20mins - the urge move from chair is so strong that I begin to shake my legs up and down vigorously. And my attention span is pretty shit, and I tend to forget things easily. I've like this all my life; my school teacher would complain about my inattentiveness all the time. I got diagnosed recently and have been prescribed meds; so far, I think I am getting the life I deserve back. For years I thought I was lazy and making excuses and that I need to discipline myself, but now, it all makes sense. It's a part of who I am.
>>
>>18176677
>hurr i have add how do i into executive functioning
Have a high enough IQ that you can live well without working hard or take stims. Those are your options.

Most people choose to take methylphenidate or adderall
>>
>>18176711
Ehh, I agree that I am lazy because my inactivity is choice but I don't think it's fair to make it that simple. When the world's demands take form of a looming anxiety, where doing any one thing has almost no effect on the pressure I feel, it's difficult to will myself into action. The problem is I'm constantly cutting corners, finding a way to secure good grades with the least amount of work, neglecting small tasks at work so I can get my main responsibilities done quickly. Most authority figures make me feel like shit by nitpicking my performance.

Most have my friends have made comments, it's hard being called a trainwreck by your best friend for not keeping up on chores.

>>18176719
I'm glad you relate. I've been trying to sample experiences in school by taking a variety of classes but I'm starting to feel like I'm squandering my time and money. Nothing out there interests me beyond what I can use for my own gain or interest. Every career will require me to learn and remember things that are not interesting and I can't stand that. I'm thinking of just becoming a truck driver or something.

>>18176765
My sister gave me adderall once and I LOVED it, almost too much. Kinda worried I'd become very dependent on it like she is.
>>
>>18176907
Why not learn to weld, work with wood, or something?

Creating shit is fun, and useful.
>>
>>18176765
>hurrrrr you can't train your executive pathway cuz muh adderall meme

Stop getting people addicted to amphetamines. I know you must get a sick thrill off of ruining lives, but it's disgusting. Go be a stormfag or something, even that is preferable to prancing on the internet and telling people to become amphetamine addicts so they can rot their brains down to your level.

Die.
>>
>>18176909
I discovered in shop class that I'm pretty bad at both welding and woodworking but it does seem like something I would enjoy improving on.

I used to drive delivery for a sandwich place and the singular focus of getting to the destination and back almost gave me a relaxing buzz, I think trucking would be the same way for me.
>>
>>18176759
I'm the same way, constantly fidgeting and shaking spinning pencils and drumming with my feet. But i've learned to let it happen and not think about it. I let my brain overstimulate and run it's excess subconsciously while the rest of my attention is put into focusing on what i want to. the only time i ever even notice i'm spinning my pencil is when i drop it.

It's just one of the things i've learned to do to work with it. i like to refer to ADHD as more like a brain that operates at overclocked speeds rather than one that can't focus... i mean wtf does that even mean.

Also to all you adderall fags, if you're taking adderall and it makes you feel great and euphoric and energized.. you don't have adhd. Adderall taken by people who actually have adhd will make them calm and sleepy. Stimulants of that nature have a reverse effect.
>>
>>18176974
>that whole post
wew lad. You're really not prepared to have an intelligent conversation on this. 1) ADHD is not just your brain working faster. If anything, people with ADHD tend to do poorly on measures of brain processing speed. ADHD is an executive functioning disorder at its core. This results in distractibility and poor self-control generally. 2)If you don't know what it means to be unable to focus, that means you don't have this disorder. 3) Stimulants have the same effect on people, regardless of whether they have ADHD. They improve focus and self-control by increasing the levels of Dopamine and Norepinephrine. Regular people can take the same drugs as cognitive enhancers, allowing them to study for longer periods of time.
>>
>>18176759
>>18176677
Just learn to pen spin or something and pick a job that excites you.
>>
I have ADHD.
smoking weed is the only thing that gives me motivation and focus.

When i dont smoke it i feel like theres so much i want to do that i either dont do any of it or i only do it for 10 minutes before needing to start a nmew task.

When im high i can stuck to a task for hours.
but thats just me.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.