[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ending up in the military, because i'm too anxious to apply

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: o6R0lMF.jpg (75KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
o6R0lMF.jpg
75KB, 1920x1080px
I studied physics at university for 6 years (3yr bachelor+3 yr master's) but I couldn't find a job because there are not many opportunities near me and mostly because I was extremely anxious to apply on any serious job because I felt like an impostor. (I had excellent grades and I know my stuff, but I cannot see myself having a real job, taking important decision, being professional etc.) When I look on job websites, the only one I feel I can do are those shit jobs requiring only a high school diploma. This is because I dread having to argue my worthiness during a job interview because I have developed this self-deprecating and falsely modest facade.

I graduated 4 years ago, looked for jobs a little bit and got employed at the company where my mom is working as some kind of proof reader in a translation office. It is still my job, there are no possibility to move upward from there, since I am not a real translator. I went to about 3 interviews for real physicist/engineering jobs but I was not called back.

So I ended up applying in the military (i'm not in the US) partly out of desperation, partly as a desire to man up, partly because I was always interested in airplanes and machines, partly because they will not reject me even if my interview was shit.
But I have serious doubt about this decision, I don't think I have the right temperament to be a military officer. I don't know if my doubts are just me being a pussy or me being ashamed to have failed to do all I could to find a physics-related job and wasted all those years.

I don't really know what advice I want exactly, but thanks in advance for your insults
>>
you have low self esteem but are qualified to work a comfortable job in a field you like. see a therapist for like 4 weeks and work out instead of helping humanity build weapons. einstein regretted working on the bomb.
>>
>>18176643
Try for the French foreign legion. You'll learn a new language and have an adventure.
>>
If you are having doubts about the military now, run very far away from it. It will only get worse during the incredible amount of stress they will place you under. See a shrink and sort yourself out.
>>
>>18176643
God damn it OP. I'm studying mathematics and I know exactly how you feel.

>I had excellent grades and I know my stuff, but I cannot see myself having a real job, taking important decision, being professional etc.
>>
>>18177011
Thanks,
I know one of my problem is being too agreeable and so I can get talked into anything even if it is not in my best interest, I got a lot of support from friends and family when I talked about doing my enrollment. I guess they where only glad to see me finally having some kind of life plan. One of my close friend who is a doctor told me that she doesn't think it is a good idea for me to go in there, because of my anxiety. She says I'm better to slowly go from a low stress level job (like what I'm doing right now) to progressively more demanding jobs. But that going straight to military-grade stress level would be the end of me. That's pretty convincing.
At the same time, there are a lot of situation I put myself into where I thought never being able to overcome and yet at the end it turns out ok and I was simply worrying too much. In a way I wish that the military lifestyle will give me strength, discipline and courage, the kind of attributes I need to develop
>>
>>18177175
Good to know I'm not alone.
I don't know about you but i think we are avoiding taking responsibilities in general. School and university is pretty easy because you know exactly what you are required to do, and you are immediately punished (bad grades) for not doing what you're supposed to do. When I left university to find a job in the real world, there are no simple procedure to find a job, and if you procrastinate or stay inside, nobody cares about you and you will be left behind. That's what I did.
If you are still studying, be prepared for the terrible loss of status you will experience when you go from 'student' to 'unemployed looking for a job'. I thought I was going to be happy to graduate and leave this behind, but it really destroyed my self esteem.
>>
>>18177241
doesnt sound like you'd like the idea of obscene levels of responsibility, stress, pressure, and aiding a sprawling military industrial complex murder people... hm, your friend smart enough to be a doctor might be smart about you.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.