[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to switch my major from nursing to music really bad but

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: FB_IMG_1489463349634.jpg (33KB, 960x688px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1489463349634.jpg
33KB, 960x688px
I want to switch my major from nursing to music really bad but I can't bring myself to choose. I have no actual interest in the material I'm learning or the duties of a nurse. I'm only studying because I'm afraid of being a poor adult and disappointing my family. I don't want to have a pathetic future.

I've been making music for years. I was in a metal band, I composed a massive soundtrack for a video game I never started coding, and now I'm recording indie folk songs in my bedroom. I love my music because it doesn't sound like anything I've ever heard before but I have no confidence that anyone else will see the value in it. It feels stupid to plan my future around something that relies on the other people's subjective appreciation of my art.

A logical voice in my head tells me that I'm only trying to avoid the hard work involved with becoming (and being) a nurse and I feel like that voice is suppressing my true desires. Isn't it a good thing to suppress your true desires though? That should put me at an advantage in the world right?
Sorry that I'm not asking for specific advice, I just need some outside input here.
>>
You have 2 options:

Do what you love

Do what you hate, to earn enough money to do what you love

Choose your destiny
>>
>>18174265
Here's a joke for you: how do you get a musician off your porch?
>you pay him for the pizza

Stick with nursing, find a different major that will actually be useful, or drop out to minimize debt. Music should not have money thrown away on it at the college level.
>>
>>18174326
My desire for money is entirely dear based though, a distant worry about the future. When I look at my current lifestyle, I realize money is a low priority in terms of happiness generated. When I got 2k from tax returns I just sat on it because there isn't much I wanted to buy. I want to study music so I can actually learn the principles of music theory and production. Whether it generated a lucrative income only matters when I think about other people's standards, which I shouldn't be doing anyway.
>>
>>18174369
*Fear based
>>
>>18174369
>>18174371
Don't be so nearsighted. Eventually your strength in this world will fade. And money is one of the few things in this world strong enough to buy you options - not only for yourself but for your family
>>
>>18174375
Shit man are you talking about like medical bills and housing for my parents or future wife and offspring?

I have a really large family, 7 brothers and sisters and a few of them make good money. My dad has a carefully planned retirement fund as well so I doubt much responsibility will fall on me personally.

As far as marriage and having kids, having enough money has always been a prerequisite in my mind. I have no intention of starting a family as a broke musician and I have other ideas for making a respectable income down the road if necessary.
>>
>>18174375
I'm aware that nursing is an objectively smart decision but I feel like some people have to take risks in their life in order to find their future, I think that I might be one of them.
>>
File: 1486529954801r9k.jpg (15KB, 388x341px) Image search: [Google]
1486529954801r9k.jpg
15KB, 388x341px
>>18174265
A major in music may make you a better musician, but it won't make you any money. Being an RN will give you the time and predictable schedule necessary to be a musician. I teach nurses and most of an RN's job is filling out forms. You don't clean up vomit and shit, that's at best an LPN job.
>>
My question to you is: do you really need a degree in music to do what you want in music? What does a degree offer in terms of music that you do not already have?

I never understood getting an artistic based degree. Unless your dream is to teach music, there is literally no use for a music degree.
>>
>>18174401
This is what I was trying to say. Unless your fine arts degree specifically let's you work with someone or people who you specifically need to learn something unique from, then fine arts is practical and you'd be better off just learning it yourself. I can't imagine a degree in music performance or music theory or music pedagogy would make Opie a better rock musician.
>>
All of my knowledge of music theory is intuition based, I just feel the notes flowing from a combination of muscle memory and imagination. I don't have words for my ideas. Sometimes when I write, I feel like I'm limited by not knowing which scale I'm playing, not understanding the nuances of the key that I'm in. There's so much terminology that is beyond me I want to take at least an introductory course, perhaps a degree don't necessary
>>
>>18174408
That's also a good point. Lots of my favorite musicians never learned theory, and some even attribute their ignorance to their success. I'm not sure I'm the same way though. I want to be able to master what I'm doing.
>>
>>18174389
>>18174398

Naming off your siblings does not relieve you of the responsibility to secure the future. The choices your father made is precisely the reason you have the comfort of choice right now and the luxury that your future has a mattress on which to fall on should you fail. Did you think your father's carefully strategized retirement fund poofed out of thin air?

But to plan on the best and hope for the best is a deathwish.

Take your risk if you want, just don't be so naive to think that you arn't squandering it.

All this talk just brings me to the very first post of mine. Either you do what you love or make enough money to be able to do what you love.

Choose
>>
>>18174432
Now that is hard to argue with. I have big idea for my future and almost no idea how I'll achieve them but I'll hate myself if I don't try. I don't think the amount of money you make is the most important metric for the value of life. I want to bring something new into the world and I have a limited amount of time and energy to achieve this. I have to be decisive
>>
>>18174431
I'm not a musician, but I have an English degree and I understand the creative process. On one hand, you have mastery of the tools that you need to express your art. On the other, you have the part of it that makes it an art, the development of the personal style and individuality that comes from studying, in depth, the tools and styles you respect with people who are masters of same. So ask yourself, if it's true that I'm open to mastery of the tools of my artistic expression to the point where I will devote my life to it, who do I do it with? Where? Am I really in the environment that's going to teach me what I need to know to meet my goals?

There are places other than university to get that, or you may be in a unique situation where there's something about your University, your city, the culture there or whatever, that would make you want to do it right there.

Nursing, on the other hand, and I teach nurses at the University level, is a great blue collar profession with lots of opportunities to learn and grow and develop, and then punch out at the end of the day and do whatever the fuck you want to do. And it's good money. There's no shame in making your primary source of income become a means to an end.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.