[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there any point to going to therapy if I don't want to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: doghandshake.gif (884KB, 198x257px) Image search: [Google]
doghandshake.gif
884KB, 198x257px
Is there any point to going to therapy if I don't want to do any sort of cbt or "be positive!" crap?
>>
CBT is great though. It's all about learning how to challenge your own mindset. In a way, good therapy is a lot like a good debate.

That being said, it wouldn't hurt to vocalize this concern with your therapist in a respectable manner.
>>
>>18173461

Yes. At least for me therapy itself didn't do shit, but admitting aloud where I was going wrong was finally what got me to actually do something about it. Professional shrinks don't do "be positive" crap, because they work with people who are legit depressed so it wouldn't work anyway. They mostly just discuss your life and draw your attention to the problems you try to avoid acknowledging.
>>
>>18173466

I've not had a whole lot of exposure to it, but what I have had was complete shit.

I know I could talk to the therapist, but with how popular and pervasive it is I worry they're going to push for it and I'll cave and end up doing something I don't want to do and hating it the whole time.

>>18173469

I see. I don't think I have a problem acknowledging my problems, so that aspect probably won't be beneficial for me.
>>
>>18173461
It depends on what your problem is anon. What do you need to go to therapy for?
>>
>>18173527

Depression and social/general anxiety, possibly as far as avoidant or borderline. Also nail biting and skin picking.
>>
>>18174382
Well, those are pretty major things to tackle, and avoidant and borderline would definitely take more than just talking your way through shit.

That being said, if you aren't willing to do the work, therapy isn't going to do anything.
>>
>>18173461
"IDK what CBT is:" the post

If you don't think a specific treatment modality is effective, then it isn't going to be effective for you. You need to do more research into whatever the hell kind of therapy you think works (your dismissal of CBT makes me thing psychoanalysis, so have fun paying a guy to listen to you for $200 an hour and tell you nothing), and find someone who does that.
>>
>>18173461

You don't know until you start, anon. A lot of therapists have a lot of different approaches. Sometimes just having someone who will sit and listen to you, and work with you to actually sort through your problems is worth it. It helped me a lot in college, and again in adulthood for different problems.

It didn't "fix" everything, but it was a step in the right direction for sure.
>>
>>18173461
cbt is literally the only thing that works
>>
>>18173510
It's not just acknowledging your problems. If you know you have problems but do nothing to fix them it's just as bad. Your therapist will teach you how to actively control your emotions and outlook, it's not "be positive crap".
>>
File: jus bee.jpg (105KB, 800x504px) Image search: [Google]
jus bee.jpg
105KB, 800x504px
Dude! Just BEE positive!
>>
>>18173461
Don't get a shit therapist and it will be good for you.

Since if you go to a younger therapist, you're only getting normalfag advise, since y'know how psychology degrees are really popular with normalfags that can't relate to any person that is depressed and/or mentally ill.
>>
>>18173461
That be positive shit works tho. I cant see a therapist just saying that and call it a session but your mindset affects how you feel and how you act. It's a good starting point and making your way of thinking channel positively rather than negatively can do a lot. Something simple, like gaining 5 pounds when you expected to lose 5 pounds, for example, can be used to give you motivation "I'll lose those 5 pounds next week, and some extra!" instead of "fuck I lost 5 pounds I guess I already fucked up so I'll go eat the rest of the leftover pizza"
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.