[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Finally realized I want to make video games. I've been

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_0818.jpg (61KB, 528x960px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0818.jpg
61KB, 528x960px
Finally realized I want to make video games.

I've been mulling over it and resenting it for a long tim feeling like I "wasted my time" when really I enjoyed myself.

With this being said I'm still studying comp sci but what other degree would be a good pairing? Game Design degrees are not really worth it from what I've heard.

Would a degree in animation or art be good?
>>
>>18172245
why are game design degrees not worth it? they are literally courses for designing games?
>>
File: 1484103397192.jpg (17KB, 500x378px) Image search: [Google]
1484103397192.jpg
17KB, 500x378px
OH boy here we go anon.

Get your proper comp sci degree first. You can always make video games on your own or get a programmer job with a comp sci degree.
Game developers are overworked and underpaid. Ideas are cheap, so unless you have the backbone to put the work in just give up. Chances are you're gonna end up working overtime not seeing your friends and family to realize someone else's dreams.
Thats not to say you shouldn't do it but if i where you I'd keep my options open. I've worked as a game tester / debugger for a big company for a while and man the people there are basically zombies on coffee. So I went the indie way.
When I started I was already half way thorough my phy chem major. So it was too late to switch to anything computer related. I knew a bit of mathlab and python. Though myself C++ in about a year, worked with OpenGl and OpenAL for a while, made some prototypes, hit some walls. First real obstacle was the fact that i can't draw or animate. My girlfriend at the time did however so i slave drove her to do a lot of volunteer work however after we broke up i was on my own, however at that point I've seen enough shit to be able to take care or most of the animation and drawing myself.
It takes me about 3 weeks to get a working prototype from scratch now. Thing is I'm out of ideas. Haven't worked on a project in 3 months.

You might find /vg/'s ADGD thread helpful its full of wannabe game devs alto its a bucket of crabs like the rest of this Mongolian feces image posting forum
>>
>>18172297
>its a bucket of crabs like the rest of this Mongolian feces image posting forum

Why are you here then? You're a shitty person with a shitty personality. That's one of the reasons your gf dumped you.
>>
>>18172251
The content you digest is somewhat explanatory and isn't what you really work with. Just from what I've seen.

It's also safer to get a comp sci degree because the game industry is volatile and easy to burn out in. Having a comp sci degree qualifies you to make games while also making other products.

>>18172297
Thanks! I've interned in NYC for a bit making educational games and teaching coding. I know debugger is a slave driver job but I'd like to imagine myself in a big company helping create a game engine, the game itself, level design, or art. Hopefully I can even have small input on it all! I'm going to stick with my comp sci degree and learn to really dedicate myself.

The indie route you took really gives me the perspective of how hard you have to work to be able to freely make what you want.

>>18172389
Why are you so mad anon? chill out
>>
File: Sad-loli.jpg (70KB, 680x578px) Image search: [Google]
Sad-loli.jpg
70KB, 680x578px
Will I finally be happy once I finish my game?
>>
>>18172245
You don't need a degree for anything although it helps. In the game industry its better to show than tell. Make a game first, doesn't have to be complicated, complex or even AAA quality as long as its something you've created on your own and something they can play then you'll have an easier time getting into the game industry.

That being said Learning the art side of things (Animation, modelling etc) would also be beneficial.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.