[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thoughts on wanting to be in a diplomat-like role? I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

Thoughts on wanting to be in a diplomat-like role?
I'm in my last year of high school and ever since I was young I've wanted to do something like this (I've been told that it suits my personality too). For university would courses like international relations, economics etc be optimal?
>>
>>18170774
Donate lost of money to the winning presidential candidate. Congratulations you're now an ambassador
>>
Major in politics/political science
Try to double major with History
Then do an internship in washington D.C. or at your state capitol and make connections. Don't do anything that can stain your background. Don't do any drugs, break the law...college is where a lot of do gooders become experimenters...especially first year.
Make tight connections with your professors in office hours. They will tell u the better way to get into politics than the councelors. Good luck
>>
>>18170800
I haven't really done much in history but would anthropology be a good substitute? I do classical studies. Also I'm from New Zealand so it's a tougher reach for connections but getting into political roles isn't of such high demand.
>>
Look, if you don't have significant connections in the government you'll probably end up being a diplomat to really dangerous places-the cushy countries are nepotistically handed out.
>>
>>18170774

I'm also interested in diplomacy.

You'll probably want to think a bit about where you might want to work. A diplomatic position in an economic partner is going to be quite different to a diplomatic role in a country yours has a strained relation with.
Learning a language or two could only help, particularly if it's the language of somewhere you'd like to be.
>>
>>18170774
As someone cynically pointed out, the top positions - the official Ambassadors to other countries - are generally political appointments.

And they're largely just ceremonial positions. The real work is done by the staffs, who are trained professionals.

Political science, international relations, history are all good background. Also consider law school, with an emphasis on international law.

But don't over-sentimentalize this. You are not going to be the guy posing with presidents as they sign treaties. You are going to be one of the guys who write the treaties and then argue with the other side's guys over details.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.