[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

can any lawfags give me some advice? Im thinking about becoming

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: D'arby_portrait.png (1MB, 1116x1080px) Image search: [Google]
D'arby_portrait.png
1MB, 1116x1080px
can any lawfags give me some advice? Im thinking about becoming a lawyer, any tips or stories?
>>
>>18163144
what kind of law did you want to practice, and do you have any personal or family connections to lawyers?
>>
Important question: why do you want to be a lawyer?
>>
>>18163151
personally crimimal law facinates me, although environmental cases spark my curiostity too
>>
>>18163158
i love the idea of rules and all its applications, and helping people is always a plus.
On the topic of connections a close family friend is offering me an internship at his firm and says he'd be happy to give me a job if i go through law school and all that
>>
I'd say become a Paralegal first before you go balls to wall to become a lawyer.

More importantly, what kind of a lawyer do you want to be? There are different branches you know, each going for specific areas of the law.
>>
>>18163177
Well that's good to hear, it's a million times better than "I like to argue lol". Could you maybe do a day where you go along to work with your family friend and see how you like it? A LOT of the work is just doing research and writing documents so it's not as exciting as in TV and movies, but you might enjoy it.
>>
>>18163210
yes, he agreed to letting me shadow him to see how it works. The thing is though he's in another bramch of law, however its obviously worth looking at.
Ive heard the horror stories of law students who are trapped with 6 figure debts and who are rat outta luck. Are these storues true?
>>18163190
as I said before, I find criminal law very interesting
>>
>>18163242
>yes, he agreed to letting me shadow him to see how it works. The thing is though he's in another bramch of law, however its obviously worth looking at.
There is so much out there that you don't know you find interesting until you learn about it. I was like you, super interested in criminal law. Now I'm more interested in family law and relationship property. Even if he isn't in criminal law, tag along and see how it is. If he works with lawyers who do criminal law, see if you can tag along with them too.

>Ive heard the horror stories of law students who are trapped with 6 figure debts and who are rat outta luck. Are these storues true?
Some of them, sure. But not everyone who has a law degree goes on to be a lawyer. I'm working for a company that does law publications, I have a friend working for Big Four firm as a consultant (her commerce degree is very useful there, obviously), and other friends working for the government in various positions.

A job as a a lawyer is far from guaranteed, but a law degree is basically a glorified arts degree but has a bunch more credibility. You can always do things to increase your chances of employability while you're in law school too. Volunteering, for example, always looks great. Sure, there are people who do have no job, but they tend to be the ones who just cruise through school and make very little effort in anything.
>>
>>18163263
thanks anon for the advice, i hadnt even considered other branches worth looking into. Could you list the jobs your friends work at in different goverbment positions? That sounds interesting
>>
>>18163311
Uh, so one friend works for the department that deals with indigenous people and their rights. Another one or two work in legal aid work, not necessarily as lawyers, but more in connecting people who need legal aid with lawyers who can help them. A few others work in policy development.

Seriously, there is so much you can do with a law degree, it's actually kind of overwhelming.
>>
>>18163242
>Ive heard the horror stories of law students who are trapped with 6 figure debts
the same rules apply to all college students
-go to a state school that you can commute to so you don't waste money on dorms/meal plan
-do internships while a student
>>
>>18163389
Yeah Im definitley getting that cut tuition wage
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.