[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'd like to get into programming. Any general advice? What

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_0027.jpg (1MB, 3888x2592px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0027.jpg
1MB, 3888x2592px
I'd like to get into programming.
Any general advice? What language should I start with? What's in demand?

I'm pretty much clueless but this is something I really want to learn.
>>
>>18162687
Java, C#, JavaScript

Those are among the most popular languages used in the industry at the moment. So pick one of those and get good at it if you want a job.

If you go for JavaScript, keep in mind you must probably learn HTML+CSS as well if you go for webdev.

If you aren't looking to get a job, but just want it as a hobby, I'd recommend C++. Just keep in mind that neither object-oriented or procedural is The Way to do something. You can mix both in one project.

Don't waste your time watching YouTube tutorials, unless it's on more advanced topics. The beginner tutorials like thenewboston etc are worthless.

You should find forums like dreamincode, gamedev, etc... and ask questions and read threads that are posted.
>>
>>18162687
Oh, and state what you want to achieve with programming. My previous post was pretty general.
>>
I'm not amazing at programming so take my advice with a pinch of salt.

I've started out with python. It's a high level language which means it's easy but slow. It teaches you the basic concepts of programming and how to think like a programmer. So I think it may be best for you. Any of the c languages (c++, c#, C) are incredibly fast (200 times faster than python) but difficult so maybe try that once you've got the basics.

I don't recommend going into Web development.
>>
>>18162727
>C languages are hard
No, that's not true.

Also, C# is completely different from C and C++.

C and C++ are different when it comes to how you manage memory.
C is easy if you learn pointers.
C++ is easy to get into, but hard to master. This means you can make a lot of stuff like even graphical games without really knowing much about polymorphism, when various constructors are called etc. They will probably be full of memory leaks, but it'll be enough to get results, and then you can improve on it.

Web development is a shit job these days, I agree. You will be underpaid. But if you love doing it, then why not.
>>
>>18162687
thats equivalent to saying "i'd like to get into tools"
with what goal ? what do want to program ?
>>
>>18162708
Thanks a lot.

I just want to write code really, develop software/programs or improve old so that it runs as effectively as possible, the optimization aspect appeals a lot to me.
>>
>>18162743
Perhaps I need advice,
Should I just drop python and move to c++?
>>
>>18162743
>>18162787
Or should I go for C
>>
>>18162766
>improve old so that it runs as effectively as possible, the optimization aspect appeals a lot to me
you mean performance ?
C. every piece of software where performance is an issue is written in C. in fact, every relevant piece of software is written in C, not even joking.
but it'll take at least 2-3 years for you to get to a level where you can make useful contributions
>>
>>18162787
>>18162795

>Should I just drop python
yes

> move to c++?
>Or should I go for C
start with C, then got into C++ if you want to.

but why are only python and c/c++ relevant to you?
>>
>>18162766
I agree with >>18162797 then. C and C++ for code where you can control what happens.

C++ is looked down at by many, and you probably will yourself from time to time, but in the end, it's a really nice language to work with where you can write fast concrete code as well as abstract code that don't have too many drawbacks.

Java and C# is mostly for business applications where you write 50% code that does nothing, and 50% code that uses the other 50% to eventually just call upon C or C++ code to do the actual work.
>>
>>18162802
Because i've been funneled by my education system into learning python, which has helped, but I'm really interested in the faster languages; C and c++. I tried c++ but found it pretty hard.

Should I ask my teacher how to code in C if she even knows how to?
>>
>>18162814
What did you find hard? You just gotta keep on coding, and you'll get it.

Learn about pointers. And really understand them. It's easy to think you know them, but in reality you probably don't until you learn it 2-3 times. Make sure you *really* know them.
>>
>>18162687
Go to school.
>>
>>18162821
I found it quite prone to error, when I coded, perhaps experiencex will fix that. I also had trouble with lists.

I understand that pointers have something to do with ram but I don't know what there point is
>>
>>18162835
*Their whoops
>>
>>18162743
>Web development is a shit job these days

100% agree. The market for WD's is becoming oversaturated with average joes and everyone else is just getting cucked on salary because of it.

You're expected to know everything and do everything front and back.
>>
>>18162835
The more you write in it, the better you will get. It takes some months until you understand how it all really works. At first, you don't really know how it works even though it works, and you might think you know.

That's my experience, at least.
>>
>>18162814
>I tried c++ but found it pretty hard
If it were easy, everyone would code in it.
>>
>>18162809
>>18162797
Thanks again!

How sought after are people knowledgeable in C/C++? Would I have trouble finding a job a few years down the road?
>>
>>18162876
To be quite honest with you... Usually you need a lot of experience before anyone hires you for C/C++ work.

If you put a ton of effort in, you'll get there. But it's the hard way job wise.

If you get a uni degree, it is easier to find a job tho.
>>
>>18162867
isn't it exactly that way these days ? everyone codes in C/C++ but has no idea what they are doing ?
>>
>>18162866
Thanks a lot man. I will probably go for C. Any good websites which will help teach me C along with providing programming tasks?
>>
>>18162876
there always be a need for good C/C++ programmers

one thing that keeps you safe is the fact all the pajeets learn java but most dont even touch C++. so remember that while its a lot easier to get into java and theres a lot more jobs out there, you also have to compete with a billion pajeets who will do everything you can do but at half the cost
>>
>>18162866
Thanks a lot man. I will probably go for C as it's pretty universal on all platforms. Any good websites which will help teach me C along with providing programming tasks?
>>
>>18162889
first read K&R C (has some tasks), then some posix developer book, and then Expert C Programming: Deep C Secrets
>>
>>18162908
Thanks so much. I'll try and put your advice in to practice!
>>
>>18162908
People always recommend K&R but although it's well thought of I've always thought it makes for a pretty shitty introduction to programming. GREAT book for people who are already programmers looking to pick up the language, shitty book for complete newbies. (I'd name a more suitable book if I knew of one, but unfortunately I don't know any C books for beginners ... I just know that's not one of them.)

Two notes for you, OP:

1. From reading your posts, it sounds like you're obsessing a little too much over C/++'s "efficiency" over e.g. interpreted languages like Python. I'm not gonna tell you not to learn C, not at all, it's dead useful, but the truth is, 90% of the time, YOUR TIME as a programmer is more valuable than shaving a couple seconds off your program's runtime. That's true to varying degrees depending on what your focus ends up being, for some things you really do want a compiled, lower-level language, but especially in the beginning, worrying too much about that stuff is kinda misguided.

and this statement,
>>18162809
>Java and C# is mostly for business applications where you write 50% code that does nothing, and 50% code that uses the other 50% to eventually just call upon C or C++ code to do the actual work.
although mildly funny is pure wanking with little basis in reality.

Again, not saying don't learn C, just don't be learning it for the wrong reasons.

2. It really doesn't matter much what language you pick in the beginning. You're *probably* going to experience a little bit of language wanderlust and bounce between a few, and that's fine. More important is learning to think like a programmer (I can't describe what I mean any more specifically than that, but after you've been coding for a few months you'll know what I mean instinctively) and that'll develop regardless of what language you pick, and once you have that down it's a relatively quick process to pick up a new language and become competent with it.
>>
>>18162969
>little basis in reality
Well, to a certain extent. I was exaggarating it, but you can't deny it has some truth.

The jobs are mostly in Java and C# though. Not C and C++. I mentioned that in my first post.
>>
>>18162969
Insightful, thanks!
>>
>>18162889
Get an actual book. Remember that you get what you pay for. If you are cheap go to the public library. That's what I did back in the early nineties. If you have any specific questions on coding, how to do something you can't figure out, the thing to do today might be to use an online forum, back in the good ol' days we had to figure things out ourselves. Everything has to happen now for you kids today. Think about it for a minute, or a week if it takes a week.
>>
Which would be better to get in to first: C or c++?
>>
>>18164769
This is like asking, which is better, a blond or a redhead. But in all seriousness pick C. I also prefer redheads, if that helps ;)
>>
>>18162787
Fuck memesnake. You think it's good until you know good programming practices because it forgives absolute retardation, then you git gud and it's fucking infuriating.
>>
>>18165420
Thanks a lot!
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.