[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does the sex of my therapist matter? I'm 22 male from a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: psychotherapy[1].png (7KB, 700x393px) Image search: [Google]
psychotherapy[1].png
7KB, 700x393px
Does the sex of my therapist matter?

I'm 22 male from a small town, so I only have two I can go to - one man, one woman

The female one is not one I'd fall in love with to hinder therapy I should mention
>>
What ever you feel more comfortable with. They only ask in case you have like trauma associated with sexes. I've found that its a crapshoot, 90% of therapists are shit no matter their gender. Just try one and if you don't jive try the other.
>>
>>18160984
>90% of therapists are shit no matter their gender
Well shit
Best be exaggerating

Thanks anyway
>>
Not nearly as important as the other factors. Therapy is a person to person deal, it's pretty much solely based on how well they understand you and how well you connect with them.

If you had thousands of therapists to choose from then yes it would make sense to opt either for a man or a woman. With just two, not whatsoever, have an intake with both if you can then decide.
>>
>>18162000
He is exaggerating, wildly. But the answer is valid. Unless you think you'd be more comfortable with one gender or the other, there's not much difference.
>>
Doesn't really matter unless you have a specific reason not to see one sex over the other.
Like the other anon said, I for example was molested by a woman as a little kid, so I had difficulties talking about this with my female therapists. (I also have issues seeing female doctors and especially female gynecologists for the same reason.)
Therefore, for the close and personal type help such as this, I tend to favor more towards men.

Just think about what you're going for, what your issues are, and whether or not youd feel more comfortable with one sex over another. If you really have no preference either way, or don't know, then pick the one you think might best work with you regardless.

Good news is, if they don't work out for whatever reason, you can always just switch to another.
>>
>>18162007
>>18162000
Well it depends on the issue and experience really. Therapy really isnt for everyone unfortunately. It didn't do much for me, no matter how many people I saw or who I saw, but I'll give it was my own lack of faith in them.

But I just never could really shake the doubt I had in therapists as a whole. Like the whole concept is to pay them to listen to you and tell you what you want to hear. So long as I was paying them thousands of dollars, everything they said to me I just kind of scoffed at. Like "Of course you're telling me this, I'm paying you to tell me this. You don't actually believe anything you say to me."

But like I said, I recognize this was my own downfall.
The drugs worked better for me lol.
>>
Gonna go against the grain here and say go for the man first.

He's just going to inherently have a better understanding of your sex life, problems stemming for masculinity, men's place in society, etc.

Not saying that will automatically make him a better therapist or that the woman will be oblivious to those problems, but it's much more likely that the man will be better in those regards
>>
>>18162051
Oh yeah, this. If OP has no reason to have a preference otherwise trying the therapist of the same sex first is probably best.
>>
>>18162051
Disagree, it just depends on your personality. OP might feel more comfortable talking about "unmasculine" stuff like insecurities to a woman than to a fellow man. Besides, it is in its very essence a therapist's job to understand and see through things they have not personally experienced in that particular way.
>>
>>18162071
I'm sorry, but training as a therapist does not trump real life experience and actually going through life as a man.

If he feels like he wants to talk abut those problems to a woman other than a man than he already answered his own question, otherwise the man is definitely the better choice
>>
>>18160954

yes, but the sex of your therapist doesn't matter to your sex, it just matters to your needs.

some people are more willing to open up with another man, and appreciate the more masculine approach to advice and guidance. it can feel comforting to know another man understands and another man is helping you become a better man.

in other cases a motherly / female touch is more comforting
>>
>>18162081
I'm not saying it trumps it, I'm just saying that if they are a good therapist you should be able to expect them to put yourself in their shoes anyway. Just because he is a man does not guarantee that he shares OP's experiences. If he's a typical "Chad" I doubt he can firsthand relate to insecurity about being a virgin in your mid twenties, for example.

I'm not saying it's impossible it'll be an advantage, but it doesn't have to be. I switched from a same sex therapist to an opposite sex and actually found that it helps me talk about romance/sex a lot more. Not saying that -that- is typical, just that there's multiple factors.
>>
>>18162099
Sure that scenario is possible, but again, it's much more likely that they'll understand better as a man

This dude could be a total quack retard for all we know, and the girl could be straight magic for him. But if he doesn't know shit about either of them, I say visit the man first
>>
>>18162099

if he is a chad, then hes going to better understand why a virgin feels insecure, its something he'd never want to be.
>>
>>18162117
Understanding something as an abstract concept doesn't mean you understand the exact reality of it and all it entails. That was pretty much the starting point for why a man might be a better option to begin with.
>>
>>18160954
Therapy is a scam.
>>
>>18162123

sure, but that doesn't make a woman more understanding of the male issue just because one of the males might be on the opposite end of that spectrum.
>>
From my experience, female therapists have a certain difficulty understanding men's struggle with hiding their pain. Females are very expressive. They have outbursts of emotions and they naturally seek attention. Female therapists have a tendency to see everything from that perspective, and you may remind them often that from your perspective as man you need to hide your feelings, they don't fully realize what it means and they sometimes forget that men have that problem. That means if you break down and cry in front of them, they may tell you to stop faking for attention. Try to resist your urge to punch them in the nose.
>>
>>18162151
You're a moron.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.