[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there a way I can train myself to get by on much less sleep?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

Is there a way I can train myself to get by on much less sleep? I know for example Donald Trump only sleeps 3-4 hours a night and he always has energy and looks healthy for his age. Is sleeping less something I can learn to do or is it almost completely genetic?
>>
Donald Trump is probably a bad example, he doesn't look the healthiest. Elon Musk would be better.

Anyway, in general, the older you get, the less sleep you'll need.

https://www.bls.gov/tus/charts/chart16.pdf

Most people would recommend 8 hours is good, but you could probably shorten that merely by training yourself to do so. Like, when you go to bed, don't distract yourself with random shit. When you wake up, don't snooze or anything, stick to a firm schedule. You'll want to sleep in multiples of 90 minutes, the average sleep cycle time. So, 1.5 hours, 3 hours. 4.5, 6...etc... That'll help make sure you don't wake up during times you'll feel groggy on.
>>
>>18160703
>Donald Trump is probably a bad example, he doesn't look the healthiest.
Seriously? How? He's 70 years old and looks like he's in his 50s.
>>
>>18160747
Just look at the makeup he is wearing to fool plebs like you. You really think a millionaire like him didnt have some surgery too? And a team of advisors to make him look fit for his age? The sleep ppl need differs, you cannot change that except stay fit and have a good rhythm
>>
>>18160679
>I know for example Donald Trump only sleeps 3-4 hours a night
Where did you hear that? From him? You know he makes things up, right?

Sauce on that pic?
>>
>>18160747
I feel bad for the 50 year olds in your life if you think he looks like he's in his 50s...
>>
Eating healthy is a good idea.

from anecdotal experience I can get by on less sleep when I'm not eating a diet of soda/candy
>>
The most highly functioning people function on 5 hours, generally.
The only way to train yourself to do this is to work you ass off minimum 16 hours a day. It's the combination of peole who are cut out for it, and people who are ambitious enough to live this way.
But I think most people just don't function this way. I have friends and have heard of powerful people that work this way. 5 hours is generally the functional minimum.
>>
File: image.png (271KB, 479x358px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
271KB, 479x358px
>>18160747

His political ideas are proof that you should aim for a healthy amount of sleep, not 3-4 hours.
>>
>>18160679
My anecdotal experience here.

Eat good (less junk food/overly sugary foods), have regular sleep schedule, no nap, train yourself.

I have regular sleep schdule from 11 PM to 4 AM, I train myself with setting alarm on 4 PPM and eventually I'll wake up 20 - 30 min earlier thatn that.
>>
look into polyphasic sleep
>>
>>18161434
>he doesn't realize the President is just a puppet
>they all are
>>
It's genetic. People who sleep for three-five hr a day have abnormalities in their circadian clock. They also tend to be highly energetic and driven. Sometimes they become CEOs or politicians, sometimes they collapse into bipolar disorder. It's not as great a benefit as you think: when you're "on" all of the time, you cease to stop, think, reassess where you are and where you're headed. Hyperthymics tend to chase failing business ventures one after another because they can't learn from failure properly. They can end up as con artists or in enormous amounts of debt.

It's etiologically related to bipolar disorder. People who are hypomanic go through about three or less hours of sleep a day. Hyperthymics run in the same families as bipolars. You see where the issues start? Arrogance, obsession, irritability, rage episodes, grandiosity. Being "on" all of the time gives you a false sense of self-image and a false sense of the world.

https://www.quora.com/Hyperthymia-What-does-it-feel-like-to-be-hyperthymic

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2911090/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3925336/

>Although mixed results have been observed for the hyperthymic temperament, with BD subjects scoring highest on this scale in some studies (17,19) and controls scoring highest in others (15–16,18), data suggest that this temperament may be most relevant to the bipolar I (BDI) subtype. The hyperthymic temperament has also demonstrated the ability to distinguish controls from unaffected relatives, indicating an ability to detect latent genetic vulnerability (15,18). In a prospective study on the offspring and siblings of BD patients, hyperthymic and dysthymic temperaments were present before a superimposed mood episode developed (14), further suggesting that the hyperthymic temperament may be particularly associated with a genetic vulnerability for BD.

It's a double edged sword. Blessed to be happy for your whole life, but dancing on the cliff's ledge.
>>
>>18160747
>and looks like he's in his 50s
Are you fucking kidding me? Even when he's coated in ten layers of professional make up you can tell he's not in his fifties by a long shot.
>>
There's no way to train yourself to get by on less sleep. None. Not without experiencing negative consequences, anyway.

Polyphasic sleep is a myth, humans can settle into biphasic patterns but not polyphasic ones; there's never been a confirmed case of that happening, ever. If you short yourself on sleep your reflexes will get shittier, you'll make mistakes and basically act dumber. Yes, there have been whole generations of e.g. engineering students who've believed that they discovered the secret to functioning on very little sleep. All of them have been wrong.

It's also a myth that [insert historical leader/famous scientist/entrepreneur] slept only 3 hours a night and that's why they were so successful. A lot of famous people over the years -- esp. from the 19th century -- have CLAIMED that they rarely slept, because sleep wasn't well-understood back then and it was fashionable to act like sleeping was a symptom of laziness. But for most of them, there's actual solid evidence that they were lying.

How much sleep you need is largely genetic. There are people who can do OK on 6 hours, and people who need even more than the usually recommended 8 (a pretty arbitrary number, by the way; don't hyperfocus on it) but what's 2 or 3 hours? What, you were really gonna change the world in those 2 to 3 hours?

Any given genius or businessman or politician or famous polymath you can name almost certainly slept at least 6 hours a night. If there are people who sleep 3 hours a night, they are not, in fact, drastically overrepresented in the ranks of humanity's great achievers, and you definitely can't become one.

Instead, focus on improving the QUALITY of your sleep. Go to bed at a consistent time, not too late, in a dark room, and see that you do enough throughout the day that you're actually tired and ready for bed. No caffeine in the evening. Wake up naturally.
>>
As others have said you can't really cut down much on sleep; what you can do is improve the quality of it so you don't have to spend so much time in bed to feel well-rested. And that mostly just comes down to the usual suspects: diet, (lack of) stress, exercise/fitness.
>>
>>18160679
You don't know what kind of uppers Trump is on. (That isn't an anti-Trump slam. It is public record (though not in his lifetime) that John Kennedy was on uppers)
>>
>>18162079
Trump's heart would explode if it were ever introduced to amphetamine.

He was part of the hoity toity liberal NY straight edge crowd before he ran for office, so I doubt he does much fun stuff aside from hooch and the ultimate drug: populism.
>>
>>18162304
he's supposedly a teetotaler
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.