[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So it looks like I'm getting sued. I haven't been

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: 1326948215057.jpg (29KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1326948215057.jpg
29KB, 640x480px
So it looks like I'm getting sued.

I haven't been handed any papers yet, but I'm getting a bunch of mail from lawyers saying they could help me file for Chapter 7 or Chapter 13. I'm apparently getting sued by LVNV Funding, the original debt was from a credit card I had about 2 years ago for about $700.

Not sure what steps I should take in this situation, I could use some advice.
>>
How about seeking legal advice from a fucking lawyer you incompetent fuck
>>
They probably sold the receivable to a to a third party collection agency. That doesn't mean they will follow through with a lawsuit all the way. Not for 700 bucks. Companies can sell receivables for a loss which offsets their taxable income. The debt is the same as if still owned by the credit card company in many ways. They might call a lot and harass you a bit. If you had 700 bucks you might be able to negotiate with them and tell them if they send you a letter stating if you pay 700 it will full discharge the debt, other than that you would have to declare bankruptcy and then they lose everything. Then when you pay, you would pay with a check with "paid in full" written on it.
>>
>>18160215
Not op, but hiring a lawyer may be an expensive option
>>
>>18160215
If they are willing to give free advise that's a good idea. Lawyers usually have no soul though and would advocate spending 1500 or more on bankruptcy proceedings even if it's not the best option. You probably need some impartial that's familiar with the laws, like a community college business law teacher or something.
>>
>>18160240
I couldn't give any fucks about his finances since he doesn't either. Only retards keep such minuscule amounts of debt for such a long period of time that it actually causes and issue

>>18160242
Also never fully trust "free" advice. You pay for what you get...

There is a reason OJ got acquitted the first time
>>
Bankruptcy shithead here, and no I can't help you (for plenty of reasons including but not limited to lack of willingness.)

You can file others into bankruptcy; otherwise you wouldn't be able to take them to a bankruptcy court. Why bankruptcy instead of civil? Because bankruptcy court is potentially scarier than civil court.

Obviously, you need a BANKRUPTCY lawyer. You probably also need a civil lawyer on top of this; you can go with one guy doing both but don't expect him to be an expert at both. Protip: this is a fight, don't bring some 30-year-old who pretends to do everything.

>>18160236
If a collection agency considers this approach worth doing, then OP can probably afford a lawyer. US Bankruptcy doesn't do much good for creditors if the debtor only has basic family shit. It's not a 'need vs want' issue, a hell of a lot is protected from the auction block in US.

There's a matter of shit being protected, and then there's a matter of shit not being worth the trustee's time. If OP is not running a private business of his own or working a high-quality job then I would certainly hate to represent the creditors here.

Short version: go straight to a bankruptcy lawyer, consultation about $250 and representation about $2500~7500 depending on how serious the other side is. Beware of unusually high or low prices, shop around. If a bankruptcy case is being thrust onto you then this is a fight, so fight back and fight serious.

Caveat: the entire thing might be a scam, figure that out first. We ain't psychics, same as every other thread involving legal drama.
>>
>>18160251
Free advise can be fine depending on the source. Many people are in positions where they are trusted to help those with no money, it doesn't make their help bad. Many quality businesses build good will by helping people in situations like this.

For example, les schwab. If you bring in a flat tire, they patch it for free hoping their good will will inspire your business. It doesn't mean they don't do a good job.

Many professors give excellent advise on matters like this, mostly because they are already pretty well compensated and enjoy helping people.
>>
>>18160273
Yes - never fully trust free advice. You get what you pay for.

Brevity
>>
>>18160273
OP doesn't need advice, he needs representation (if this is an actual fight.)

This means:

1) No paralegals, get a lawyer. Paralegals can't even dispense advice for the most part.

2) Not a civil lawyer, not a criminal lawyer, a bankruptcy lawyer.

3) Don't go to some guy who expects to churn out petitions all day and get paid for that. Bankruptcy petition mills try to spend as little time as possible in front of judges, because that's easy money. Preferably, go to an old guy.

4) Remember, people scam all the fucking time. Paying for a consultation and then a letter+phonecalls (total $500~1000) can beat a somewhat-serious scam attempt. If it's not a scam then it's a fight, so get fucking ready.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.