[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are there any good resources online concerning manners/social

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_1786.jpg (301KB, 900x1600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1786.jpg
301KB, 900x1600px
Are there any good resources online concerning manners/social etiquette? Like both the basic stuff and the more advanced having-a-dinner-party-with-the-queen-of-england -level stuff. Western and otherwise.

I was practically raised by wolves and I'd really like to know more about living in a house before my gf comes to her senses and dumps me for being a fucking caveman.
>>
Uuuuuuuuuh....This is rather dependant on the level of social etiquette/manners you are trying to emulate. Are we talking full on Victorian-era etiquette here....or just basic manners? Because the two things have some different answers depending on needs. (Also.........the Queen...really?)
>>
>>18158496
I didn't figure they're mutually exclusive. I meant like both.

I'm not used to sitting on chairs and like using forks and I'm pretty kind of sure that my gf has an aunt who is a fucking baroness by marriage or something like that.
>>
Look, there's a great book you can find in practically any second hand bookshop by Emily Post on old school etiquette. It has everything. As for newer stuff, there are modern adaptations.
>>
>>18158512
I found this old book somewhere that her mother had on the shelves, it's as dry as fucking bone and I gave up on the chapter about when to use or not use a plural "you".
>>
There's a definite difference! But it's rather unimportant for your needs, Baroness' niece or not.

You don't want to be an embarrassment is what I'm getting from this. FIRST AND FOREMOST....talk to the girl in question. Is she off put by your behavior? Maybe she finds it attractive for whatever reason (I'm not certain what your common habits are....so I can neither judge or comment on them.) or maybe she hates them, and she culd have her own advice on this question. Remember you want to do this for her, make sure she wants it and you do the right thing, or you could drive her away for all the right reasons.

Second, basic manners tend to be enough even if you were dealing with modern royalty. Knowing what direction to pass the food the difference between forks, and all that jazz isn't necessary (I took etiquette classes btw, and honestly.....found it useless and ignore most of the rules it taught me.)

What you should try and incorporate from it though is just a few points.

!) Don't be intentionally rude, and be apologetic if you have caused offense. (Public manners.) This is less strict within private settings, and should be considered on a case by case basis. How well do you know or like the person involved.

2) Sir/Ma'am get into the practice of using these words. Regardless of the stupid inherent it opens doors for you from old people.

3) In regards to table manners....this is dependent on location, and need. Most important...chew with mouth closed if possible, try to sit up more straight (It helps with later back problems and digestion [though I don't actually know how true the second one is that's just what my teacher said a lot]) and try to avoid burping, farting, spitting your food out onto the plate/table//hand (Your napkin is OK though. Cause sometimes food can be nasty....) use a napkin I know you have your sleeves/hand/tongue for cleaning this mess...but that's frowned upon by a majority of "polite" society.

Uh that's basically it.
>>
>>18158540
Don't cause a scene, don't make a mess, use furniture however everyone else is using them, keep visible bodily fluids/functions to a minimum?
>>
>>18158470
Read Emily Post.
>>
>>18158470

everything you read will give you two reactions
>i feel like i already knew that
>but thats too vague, how am i supposed to actually DO this?

so no.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.