[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What to do if you're about to accept a grad school offer

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: yz4Pc1FTiZNs8z1EhNZqocVJho7.jpg (740KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
yz4Pc1FTiZNs8z1EhNZqocVJho7.jpg
740KB, 1280x720px
What to do if you're about to accept a grad school offer but feel like you're going for all the wrong reasons (based on various internet articles and advice received years ago from undergrad profs)?
My life lacks direction, I'm very unsure of where I want to go and I don't like where I am.
>>
Talk to me, explain you situation. Cant give advice when you're this vague
>>
>>18155387
You can ask if they'll hold your slot for a year and let you start next year. Claim unspecific family issues.
>>
>>18155389
Graduated from undergrad ~2 years ago in a science, spent 1 year looking for work and finally got a job working with software (didn't major in CS but study programming in my sparetime), and I don't really enjoy the work or area (no friends due to social autism). I feel like I would rather be back in an academic environment, and would have a better chance of making friends in one as well. Which obviously aren't good reasons to go to grad school.
So basically going to grad school because I don't know what else to do.

>>18155390
Would be interested in this but I don't know how likely they would be to do this, only one school I was accepted to mentioned deferments and they were a safety school.
>>
>>18155399
It's a bit of a fallacy to think: I can't make friends now, but if I do this thing I will be able to.

What prevented you in undergrad from making friends?

Do people enjoy your company, do they get along with you?

What is your ideal job if not working in software?

Is going back for a phd financially viable for you?
>>
>>18155404
I had a few acquantances during undergrad but not really good friends, I guess I don't really put myself out there (or know how to) to meet the types of people I would want to be friends with, if any exist. I suspect I have an avoidant personality disorder.

I mainly only associate with people online so yeah, I have people that I talk to and I think they enjoy doing so. In real life I keep to myself.

I have no idea, I really don't know. I guess sometimes I think finance would be interesting but I wouldn't know how to get a job in that field, I tried.

It's viable in the sense that I can do it, but obviously I'd be making less money during the grad school years than if I continue at this current job I'm at. I guess one of my issues is that at this job I have, it's with a big corporation and it seems like everyone's purpose in life revolves around it and climbing the ladder, and I don't feel super motivated to dedicate myself to a company, it just seems depressing to me.

Funnily enough I'm about to go visit a grad school for the day so I won't be around to reply for a bit but I really appreciate any insights you can offer.
>>
>>18155408
Sorry for the delay, I've rewritten this post a few times...

I would do as the above poster says - take a year off.

You will never make lasting friends unless you put yourself into other peoples lives, you make plans with them to do things you share common interest in. The majority of people are like that - they don't want to put the work in, they just want to be at the center of a friend circle that is tight knit and does great things together.

The passage of a year spent not in school or in a career forces you to think. You do so much thinking in that year. Mixes of boredom and thinking. Eventually that boredom shows you what you want out of life. You realise: I'd rather kill myself than work in software any longer, I really want to pursue finance! And maybe you try to study finance and realise you hate it, so you bounce to the next thing. That's what life can be like: constant bouncing around and rejections until you find a mold that you didn't even know existed, but fits you perfectly nonetheless.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.