[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why should we go to work, raise a family, build a career and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 6

File: 1475010048717.jpg (104KB, 1000x1430px) Image search: [Google]
1475010048717.jpg
104KB, 1000x1430px
Why should we go to work, raise a family, build a career and endure all the bad things that life throws at us if all that it takes for our lives to get ruined or ended is something so simple as a stroke of bad luck?

Whenever I get up in the morning to go to work I ask myself why am I doing all of this. Why we are all doing this.

Is this all just a game?
>>
>>18153746

That's why you should live your life to its fullest and make the best of the time you have. You never know when something might happen, so don't spend sleepless nights thinking about work, or forcing yourself to have a family.

Do what makes you happy, so there's no regrets when you die.
>>
The idea of life being a game and all pointless in the end should inspire you to get out there and enjoy life. All you have at the end of the day is good and bad experiences and you shouldn't settle for mundane repetitive work.

That's not to say make huge changes and stop work or anything crazy, just understand there is a time for having fun and a time for working, spend your free time PROPERLY living life, find a hobby or create new friends.

This is the key to life and will certainly make your situation so much more bearable. Good luck
>>
>>18153774
This resonates with me for some reason. The only thing that eludes me is "live life to its fullest", what do you mean by that?

>>18153775
I understand what you say, but the temporary nature of the things you listed, inlcuded my life, make me feel as if I'm just a pawn in a game, as I said.
>>
>>18153796

That's defined differently for different people. Think about what you'd truly like to accomplish with your life. Or what you'd like to see, what you'd be happy telling someone all about if they wanted to sit down and listen. Work in the pursuit of making that happen.

For some, that IS family life, which is fine... for me, it's traveling different places and meeting new and interesting people - so if I don't necessarily get to be a part of their story, at least I was exposed to their narrative for a short time.

That's the kind of stuff that gets me going, it's just a matter of exploring that for yourself.
>>
>>18153802
Interesting. So the way to "play the game" to its fullest is having a goal to pursue.

How do I pick that goal? Do I just choose something that instinctively appeals to me?
>>
>>18153823

Yep, instinct is the best thing. And you can always change your mind, or add new goals.
>>
>>18153846
So I just have to play and that's it. Yeah, that's the answer I sought.

We're in a game and thus we play, it makes sense.

I will stop overthinking and I'll move on with my life.

Thank you.
>>
>>18153746
Having children is the cruelest thing a person can do IMO.
>>
File: 1381894984178.gif (2MB, 316x213px) Image search: [Google]
1381894984178.gif
2MB, 316x213px
>>18153746

>Why should we go to work, raise a family, build a career and endure all the bad things that life throws at us if all that it takes for our lives to get ruined or ended is something so simple as a stroke of bad luck?

Whats with all this "we" shit? "We" don't have to do anything. Finding meaning to your brief period here on earth is a solo journey, friend, and if you decide to spend your entire journey like a fucking dillweed asking what the point of the journey is then go right ahead.

Don't want to risk anything? Fine, don't. Don't want to achieve anything good because something bad MIGHT happen? Cool, whatever. If you're happy going to your grave knowing you never did anything because failure was a possibility then go right ahead.

This is being an animal. Your lack of willingness to participate in the game of nature does not at all negate its complete hold over you. Either play or don't, kid. No one will care either way.
>>
>>18153857
Schopenhauer? Is that you?

>>18153860
I don't understand.
>>
>>18153870

I'm not the child person, but I get where he's coming from to a degree.

If you're not prepared to raise a kid, or you do a shitty job, or they come out deformed, or just downright unattractive, that kid might resent their own existence.

I feel for a lot of the tortured souls out there.
>>
>>18153873
Ah in that sense. I understand it too now.

>>18153860

Re-reading your answer I think that you partially misunderstood the question. It wasn't about risk, it was about the temporary nature of life and everything in it. Plus, nature, god, or whatever you want to call it is not something separate from as as you think. It is us.
>>
>>
>>18153746

I feel the same OP, personally I think its more about our modern day and age in general.

There are simply no real goals for young men anymore. Marriage, career, wealth... all these things would start to accumulate over time. But that is not the case anymore.

Marriages have more risks then they're worth, careers are not so appealing either anymore and so on...
>>
>>18154484
Yeah it sure is worse today than being a slave in Roman times worked to death in a silver mine with my dick chopped off.
>>
>>18153746
The meaning of life is to continue your bloodline, work towards this and I guarantee you will be happy when you succeed. Work towards making a family and creating a secure environment for them to live in.
>>
>>18153851
Best of luck to you anon
>>
This is not really a problem, unless you make it one. How you view life defines how you act and how much you enjoy things. It's a matter of perspective. You work for money (bonus if you actually enjoy what you do), money allows you to get nice things and sustain a familiy, a family implies a significant other. If you honestly don't want these things, you can just stop pursuing them.

But never ever be a lazy fuck and actually desire things and girls and not do something about your situation to make achieving them easier, this will haunt you on your deathbed, it haunts you now.

I go to work to afford nice stuff and sustain a girl because I want them in my life.
>>
>>18155878
how come having children is correlated with decreased happiness and marital satisfaction in comparison to DINK couples?
>>
>>18155878

Yay guys, /pol/ is here!

No one gives a fuck about "muh bloodlines." If parenting made everyone happy, we wouldn't have orphaned kids and deadbeat parents. More power to you if you want them, but that's by no means "the meaning of life."
>>
>>18155940

raising children is stressfull as hell, but you cannot generalize here. it's the wonder of creating new life and being there for it that can truly be a blissful thing if done right. it is no duty, and it can go terribly wrong, but what if it doesn't?
>>
>>18155940
You're thinking of people who are having kids in an environment that they are finding it hard to provide in. If you are a good provider and can ensure the safety of your family you will feel invincible and as if nothing else matters in the world.

>>18155949
Its literally hard wired into our brains to breed and look after our offspring, its instinct. Or is it just an accident that nearly every single fucking culture to ever exist has family names?
>>
>>18155956

"What if" is a shitty sales pitch for something that ruins 2-3 lives permanently if it goes wrong.

You shouldn't have a kid just to see if it goes right. You should be excited to have one, prepared financially (or at least willing to make the right sacrifices), and find child rearing to be an exciting activity that you like more than your personal freedoms.

I know some very happy parents, I know some very UNHAPPY parents. Most of my coworkers are unhappy parents, because work is a huge strain on us. My life after 5 PM is decompressing as best as I can, theirs is going home to a little shitstain who may do some cute things, but needs to be fed, bathed, played with, and nurtured. I feel bad for them.
>>
>>18155980
Thats what feminism has destroyed, its destroyed the family unit and our very biological instincts, the male should be free to provide while the wife looks after the child. You need a good stay at home wife to have a proper happy family unit
>>
>>18155969

I'm not arguing that every creature isn't hardwired into producing, but that's just evolution and survival of species, not "meaning." I don't believe in any divine creator, but reproduction is only a function of existence, it's not meaningful.

If it were the meaning of life, sterile people should just kill themselves, right? Because their lives inherently have no meaning?
>>
>>18155994
It is the meaning of life, it is the only meaning of life. I'm not saying you can't find enjoyment in other things so should sterile people kill themselves? No. But sad to say they will die wishing they had kids more so than anything else. They have come from a long chain of people that goes back to the dawn of mankind and they have ended the chain.
>>
>>18155987

Feminism hasn't destroyed shit in this instance. The technological revolution and the banks have destroyed it. Wages are simply not high enough to support a nuclear family for the average person. There are no honest jobs for the uneducated (including trades), homes are too costly, the growth of our economies coming less from manufacturing than from technological innovation.

There's no real fixing this; but there will probably be a universal wage at some point in the distant future.
>>
>>18156009
What do you think destroyed the wages making it so both husband and wife need to work to support the family? Oh I don't know, maybe it was women entering the work force?
>>
>>18153746
This is good. These are your first steps towards awakening. You're realizing the illusion of society and it's hard pressed principles. Once you strip away even deeper layers of illusion and lie, more truth will come to you, without the help of anyone or anything. I would suggest you start meditating and possibly practice yoga and breathing techniques. These are very good ways to open up the answers to your life. When your brain is quiet, That's when the answers come, not when your constantly thinking and worrying. Trust me, the same thing happened to me. You will realize you're not meant for the game, others are and that's fine, don't let them hold you back or pressure you into things you know are wrong for you. Do WHATEVER you derive happiness from, be it a nomadic life or a debt driven one, it's your choice and you will find the right answer.
>>
File: aint_mad.jpg (18KB, 392x298px) Image search: [Google]
aint_mad.jpg
18KB, 392x298px
>>18155980

That's completely fine and I don't disagree with you. My "what if" is not meant as a "just do it and see what happens" kinda deal. But you cannot guess the outcome of having a child. It might come out okay or it might ruin your relationship, or even yourself. No amount of planning can change that.

But you'll have to try at some point.
>>
>>18156008

Why do I know plenty of happy elderly people who don't have kids then? Explain that phenomenon.

I'd love to know where you people who say this have learned your ideology. Seriously genuinely interested. Is it your parents? The church? Books? /pol/?
>>
>>18156018
It was learned by studying different cultures and human instinct and biology. We are hardwired to fuck and breed it's as simple as that. I'm not saying you can't be happy without doing that, I'm just saying I guarantee that you will die happy if you manage to create a family and adequately provide for them and ensure their safety.
>>
>>18156012

They didn't just split up the work down the middle to let women join the workforce, you fucking retard.

>>18156017

>You'll have to try at some point.

That makes no sense. Why do you have to try? If you don't feel prepared for or don't want kids... don't have them, right?
>>
>>18156022

I know it's all anecdotal evidence so I'm just going to stop arguing with you after this, because our ideologies HEAVILY differ, but just within my own family I have examples of grandparents coming to the ends of their lives who aren't dying happy, despite successfully providing for a family.

My grandma on one side is rotting away in an old folks home - my grandfather's dead, but she resented him for years before he died anyways. Her son shot himself in the head last year. Her granddaughter is a lesbian and she can't stand it. She can't spend any of the money she saved and sits in a room getting angry about squirrels as she slowly forgets things about her life.

My other grandma is constantly depressed and crying. Her husband that helped her raise them all molested young girls. It put a rift down the entire family. But no one ever went hungry, no one was ever hurt... but it didn't translate to happiness.

Our happiness, and meaning, is only what we make of it.
>>
File: 1393880358122.jpg (11KB, 279x298px) Image search: [Google]
1393880358122.jpg
11KB, 279x298px
>>18156030

Sorry that last part was egoistical of me. You really don't have to try if you don't want to, but that's a given.

Fucking gook moot street sign shit.
>>
>>18156030
Not as simple as splitting it right down the middle, but you're the one being retarded. Just think for one second, same amount of work needs doing, now you have double the workforce. Can you ask for a better way to lower wages?
>>
>>18156045
>son shot himself in the head
Failed parenting, not ensuring safety of kid who is now dead and will not continue the bloodline
>gramddaughter is lesbian
She is homosex and will not continue the bloodline
>molesting girls
An abnormal horrific thing that would make anyone unhappy

These are things that have destroyed the family unit causing unhappiness. Sorry to hear you've had so much fucked up shit in the family.
>>
>>18156048

The same amount of work doesn't need to be done though. In a capitalist economy, there is always more. There is more work to be done than there was in the 1950s. This is why we measure economic success in GDP growth.

>>18156062

None of this was either grandmother's fault. Suicide is not "failed parenting." She couldn't have stopped it no matter what she did.

The point is, both of these women raised 3 and 4 children, respectively, raised them until they were adults, and all had families of their own, but still are going to die with unhappiness in their hearts for factors completely out of control.

Meaning...

>I'm just saying I guarantee that you will die happy if you manage to create a family and adequately provide for them and ensure their safety.

...is an untrue statement. There's no guarantees in life.
>>
>>18156100
I didn't actually mean a 100% guarantee. And I'll rephrase it. Make a family, adequately provide for them and ensure their safety and see your children grow up happy to raise kids of their own. Your children being happy of course isn't entirely in our control but that is life.

Also I would say nearly all parents who's child commuted suicide would blame themselves, that's heat I meant by failed parenting.
>>
>>18156113

He mainly shot himself because his ex-wife was bleeding him dry and he was stuck living in a shitty apartment at 60+ years old despite having a doctorate in molecular biology. Nothing grandma could have done to stop that, she hated the woman as is from the start.

Again, I'm all for happy, loving families, I just get frustrated when people try to say it's the only way. My family life across multiple generations has a ton of warts on it, and even though my parents claim otherwise, I think they'd have lived a much happier life without me in it. I wasn't a planned child, and they were divorced when I was young, only to spend the first 17 years of my life trying to patch things back together for my sake. If they had divorced in 1991 and not had me, you're probably looking at two happily single people who went their separate ways and met people better suited for them. Now they're remarried and spend all of their time fighting about me, despite the fact that I'm 30 goddamned years old.

It's why I strongly doubt I'll ever get married or have kids. I find my happiness in other places.
>>
>>18153746
you get only one shot at this game, so forget whatever burdens and regrets you have
play it while its still here, play this game to its fullest until its final moments
you may say "what's the point, we'll only fail this game", but success is an objective you burden yourself with, so be free of it
you only enjoy it as much as you actually play it by your rules, not the games rules
>>
>>18156129
I didn't mean that its the only way to he happy, just that its the only biological way that actually matters. Obviously one thing doesn't work for everyone. When I say its the only meaning to life I dont mean that its all you should do because nothing else matters. I just meant nothing really matters at all so be a single hedonist your whole life if it makes you happy.

You clearly have a lot of personal issues when it comes to thinking about starting a family though. I don't think you should completely rule out having a family. Maybe have therapy to fix your issues on making one. No insult anon, just I honestly dont believe someone should actively not try to start a family. The best option is to wait and start the right family. Also dont rush and start a family because you think you have to, that's what I think could have helped cause all the shit thay happened in yours.
>>
>>18155595
wait did they chop of their dicks?
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.