[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to deal with the paperwork for buying a used vehicle privately?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: ow2FItM.jpg (303KB, 1177x882px) Image search: [Google]
ow2FItM.jpg
303KB, 1177x882px
How to deal with the paperwork for buying a used vehicle privately?

>18 years old
>live in british columbia
>no family or friends
>literally nothing besides a learners license

now that you have some background info i need a non autistic explanation of how i can start from ground 0 to getting a fully legal and registered vehicle with insurance i can drive around

all i know is you need an auto broker but i dont know what they are or what i need to do and you need to sign alot of paperwork that the seller and you need to sign that matches the vehicle perfectly
>>
First of all get your N.

Why not just buy a beater off craigslist? Older civics or camrys are cheap and have tons of parts, and they run well.

You need the car title for a title transfer and a bill of sale, both of which the seller should provide to you while you purhase. Get a history report from the seller as well.

You'll have to go to an ICBC to do all this (any autoplan place)

I cant paste it on my phone for some reason, just look up transfer vehicle ownership bc and go to the first link.

After you transfer the vehicle to you, you insure the vehicle while you're there.

An autobroker is just an insurance place - BC only has one, ICBC, they always have signs saying registered autoplan out front.

Also you know your insurance will be like 200 a month?

T. 22 year old, I live in vancouver
>>
>>18151417
i shouldve said but im getting a motorcycle, i just need to do a short skills test in a parking lot to upgrade my learners to ride without a supervisor.

i do plan on getting something cheap off craigslist.

ok so i walk in, inspect the vehicle, if its good all i ask for is a title transfer, bill of sale, history report? i also heard of a lien check i might need to do

do i have to go to icbc with the seller?

is there anything i need to know about insuring a vehicle? can i do it alone if im 18?

how much does all of this paperwork cost?

thanks
>>
>>18151518
You can insure the vehicle at 18.

If everything is in order you go to the autoplan place and fill out the paperwork, its all very self explanatory dont sweat it, just signing your name. The insurance people can help you with all of this, there isnt really any scamming that foes on because theres not much to scam. They already control the entire market.

Yes you should go to icbc with them although I dont believe its mandatory. But you should absolutely go with imo.

Im not sure on the cost of paperwork, however if you are getting a new plate (they want to keep theirs) then it could cost like 200 bucks, not totally sure. I just got a scooter (im in the states atm) and a new plate was like 200.

You sound very nervous about this whole thing, and thats natural, just try to remember that if you need help the insurance people can help, and you cant really get ripped off unless the bike doesnt work.

Any seller with their shit together will expect to do all this and you wont have to worry. Above all speak up if you're confused on something and dont commit if you're unsure. Shady sellers like to corner you into uncomfortable situations so you feel bad about saying no to the buy, especially when they're desperate.
>>
>>18151554
ok thank you, but when i go to the icbc website to see where i can get these forms it says i need to contact an autoplan broker, what do i need to do?

sorry but i need alot of questions answered because youre right i do get nervous easily and rely alot on experiences which i dont have for any of this
>>
>>18151607
No problem friend, I didnt mean it as an insult. You can get the douments at icbc when you're buying the bike.

If it would help, go into an autoplan place, if theyre not busy, and just ask them the process. They'll be glad to help, and might be able to give a clearer view on the whole process.

Maybe you've heard this before but overcoming that anxiety and putting yourself in new situations will strengthen your independence and confidence.

Good luck senpai
>>
you're going to have to pay a transfer tax, so X + 12% gst and pst so factor that into buying price
>>
go to any insurance place, london drugs for example and ask for trasnfer papers. if the seller is smart he'll already have some.

here's the thing you're looking to get a motorcycle in BC it's more expensive than you think. i actually found having a car was easier in the long run especially with our shitty rain the past years.

if you're a complete noob, and you have to pass your skills test through icbc, get a street legal dirt bike. they are much more forgiving for the skills course. I can even tell you exactly whats going to be on it if you plan on not going through a riding school. hint a riding school will give you skills to survive and in the end you'll get a upgrade learners through them and the skills you'll need to go in and pass the full class 6 test on the first try.

if you're looking at bikes, look at the tire tread and if its bald you're going to have to buy new tires. look at the sides and see if theres scraps/ road rash cause thats usually an indicator of it being dropped and could be more damage than its worth.

insuring a bike as an 18 year old male, its going to be costly. my bike is 30 years old and with a 35% discount i still pay 70 a month with no collision and bare minimum coverage. if you need to have a sport bike look at a cbr125 or 250 it's going to get you from a to b and not kill you until you get used to riding. i still highly suggest a street dirt bike as its a high seating position and more nimble than most bikes, upgrade later when you have more money and a better understanding of bike mechanics. you're 18 so you'll have maybe a 10% discount at most with icbc
>>
also depending on whos testing you for icbc they may ask to see your riding sponsor (the person who rode the bike there for you) some do some dont. my dad somehow got away without having one but i have no idea how.
>>
if you want to put a burner email up or something, you can keep in contact with me, i had to go through most of this when i was going through this stuff. im a different person from the other guy responding. I live in Bc as well
>>
>>18151697
hope your still here

[email protected]
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.